Acess denied error

ERROR: ACCESS DENIED....I reinstalled windows XP PRO and restored my data.
I think I have 2 problems....
I try to open many types or files and they won't open. Pictures will not load also. I get a red X. But I get this error. I tried to change the permissions and went to the security tab to change it and still have the same problem. Can anyone help!!! Making me crazy!

Also have an issue with some files that where encrypted. I tried to use the old certificate but it wouldn't load, to de-crypt the files. I also tried the un-encrypt by selecting the folder, and de-crypting it but it wont work or decrypt on most of the files.... Does anyone know if it has something to do with the certificate?? certmngr??? Or if there's a FREEWARE TO DECRYPT IT??

After installing Windows did you install all the applications associated with the files in question? As a side issue, did you install all the chipset, video, sound, etc. drivers?

ERROR: ACCESS DENIED....I reinstalled windows XP PRO and restored my data.
You may need to "take ownership" of your data files

Also have an issue with some files that where encrypted. I tried to use the old certificate but it wouldn't load, to de-crypt the files. I also tried the un-encrypt by selecting the folder, and de-crypting it but it wont work or decrypt on most of the files.... Does anyone know if it has something to do with the certificate?? certmngr??? Or if there's a FREEWARE TO DECRYPT IT??
Oh Oh. You may have a big problem.

Usually encryption needs a key that must be backed up along with the data and then restored to unencrypt. Someone else might know otherwise or have better news but from what i've read, if you didn't backup the encryption key you can't unencrypt :(

To my knowledge there's no freeware or pay-ware solution either. what's the point of encryption if you can simply unencrypt with freeware or pay tool?) :dead:

For Windows Encryption File System, the users login password is part of the HD encryption key. If you change your password, then you've also lost descryption! Sadly, returning the password to the previous value does not work either.

As LookingAround has said, you need an RSA

Back