Active Internet connection during sleep mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty9231

Hi,

I have an application that I want to use for long periods of time, but the internet connection needs to be up. Now, to save power I thought that I could put my computer in to sleep mode, but everytime it sleeps, it loses internet connection.

My question is: Can the internet connection stay active during sleep mode? And if so, how can I do that?

I have already tried unchecking 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' option on my network adapter, but without results.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and I look forward to replies...

-Marty

No. If the computer is sleeping the internet connection can't be active (i.e. which would mean you also have a program running handling the connection, transfering data plus then you have memory in use and disk etc. so how much of your computer could really be asleep anyway ;)

/* edit */
just fyi: the connection is allowed to be "awake" only to look for remote "wake up from sleep" type requests coming remotely. No other type of internet activity supported in sleep mode

Ok, that's clear...

So is there any other way to keep the power consuming really low, and that only the network adapter and graph card/cpu are getting power?

I also often leave it on when I sleep, then the sound of the coolers irritates me, so is there a way to keep my computer cool enough, but have less noise?

Thanks,

Marty

Look at Control Panel->Power Options

You can, at minimum, turn off power to your monitor (i.e. let your monitor go to sleep).. You can also try setting your disk power (see if disks then shouldn't power down till the app you wamt to run at night is finished)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back