AdBlock Plus partners with Flattr for new product that lets web users pay publishers

midian182

Staff member

The number of people who use ad blockers is on the rise, and it's costing publishers a lot of money. But a new partnership between the makers of the world’s most successful adblocker and startup Flattr will create a way for people to make small donations to those who produce the content they enjoy.

Microdonation provider Flattr, which was cofounded by The Pirate Bay's Peter Sunde, is teaming up with AdBlock Plus maker Eyeo to develop a new product called Flattr Plus. It will work in a similar way to Flattr, in that users can allocate a monthly budget that will be used to pay publishers.

Unlike the original, however, payments will be assigned automatically using an algorithm to work out which websites were engaged with most. In the standard Flattr, users must manually press a button to contribute to a single piece of content.

The two companies said they hope the product, which is currently in beta testing, will reach 10 million users paying around $5 a month by 2017, which should result in a $500 million payout for publishers. AdBlock and Flattr will get a cut of around 10 percent.

Publishers need to sign up to Flattr Plus if they want to see any money, but those that don’t will have their donations held for them until they join the program.

Ben Williams, Adblock Plus’ head of operations and communications, said: “People forget a lot of times that the web was established as an information sharing platform. A public good. Advertising came second. Some of the early founders of the web tossed around the idea of having some direct way for users to fund content. What happened in place was advertising people, even adblockers, we all had the false impression that advertising is what pays for content online.”

Williams said the plan was to eventually integrate the new program into AdBlock Plus.

There’s no guarantee that everyone will greet Flattr Plus with open arms. Web browser Brave’s method of replacing ads with its own and paying the publishers a percentage of the revenue was called “blatantly illegal” in a cease and desist letter.

Permalink to story.

Well, they're on the right track. But it'll be hard to win over the "I can block ads for free" crowd...

Guys, guys, guys... you have to watch that video! Those fools are trying to make it look like ads are your friend! I'm torn between abandoning civilization for a life in the woods, and shaking my head violently until the memory of watching this video bleeds out my ears! I'm laughing hysterically, and that video wasn't funny!

That said, I don't entirely get what these people are trying to do. Am I supposed to start paying Adblock Plus actual money to not see ads now? Who in their right mind would ever do that? If this is indeed the case, then Ad-block Plus is digging it's own grave, and something will be along to replace it shortly.

It's a shame that stuff like this affects good publications like TechSpot, but hey... I don't like ads, and I don't trust 3rd parties in general. Most importantly, I don't want to be tracked and profiled, and have information about me sold off to parties unknown, who's agenda is unknown. It's creepy as hell, and I don't like it!

I will block every ad until the day comes when I can't view content anymore, at which point I will look for said content elsewhere. I will not pay for ad-blocking, nor will I pay to view content. It's simply not an economical priority for me, no matter how much I may enjoy said content. Just a bit of honesty.

What happened to the blaze browser that pays YOU for turning off your ad blocker? That's much better.

I'm sure there are loads of people who'd take this up as a service. If I could allocate £5 a month and it was algorithmically determined how to split that £5 between the various websites or publications I visit, I'd do it. Blocking ads is great, but cutting off the main revenue source for some of my favourite websites does feel a bit like theft. I'd pay a couple of quid each month to keep Techspot afloat, for example.

I agreed with Ad makers to pay us. They use our supposed bandwidth cap from our ISP to show us stuff we didn't want to see in the first place. Why shouldn't they paid us? If we hit our bandwidth cap because of loading ads that are starting to become more like videos embedded in pages. YouTube ads.... sigh.

This reminds me of the Time Warner exec that, a few years back, said that people should be forced to watch commercials when watching TV.

I'm sure there are loads of people who'd take this up as a service. If I could allocate £5 a month and it was algorithmically determined how to split that £5 between the various websites or publications I visit, I'd do it. Blocking ads is great, but cutting off the main revenue source for some of my favourite websites does feel a bit like theft. I'd pay a couple of quid each month to keep Techspot afloat, for example.
It's time those sites that depend on this revenue to find another outlet imo. Ads on billboards and walls cost the company publishing the add money, so are we going to start paying for billboard ads too? Yet they still make money. Don't force your ads on people, let them decide to buy your products simply based on your reputation or amount of publication like they did in past.

Back