Add or remove hardware sound comes one for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm using XP Home. Every couple minutes the sound that indicates hardware being added (like when you plug in USB) comes on, immediately followed by the sound you get when you unplug a device. This started recently. I've tried unplugging all my external devices, and under "Safely remove hardware" it only shows my two hard drives, but the problem continues. I also tried updating to SP3 but that hasn't solved the problem either.

The sounds aren't accompanied by any pop-up message, so I have no idea what is causing this, and it seems to happen regardless of what program I'm using. Everything it happens there is a brief freeze-up and of course the noise, so I need to figure out the problem soon. Thanks!

-James

Go to the Control Panel> Sounds and Audio Devices> Sounds tab> find the 'Device Disconnect' sound and highlight it> look in the dialog box to identify that sound> click on the tiny arrow point to the right of the dialog box to hear the sound.

Is that what you're hearing? Is this same sound selected to any other features? You have to play detective here as almost any sound can be selected to any feature.

Please Note: getting the SP3 update is NOT the way to fix any problem!

Since you are also describing a "brief freeze up" ou may be able to find an Error in the Event Viewer that corresponds to this mini-freeze:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> click on System and Apps, one at a time, to open the log screen. Do this on each:
Look for Error that corresponds to the sound/mini-freeze> right click on that Error> Properties> Click on the Copy icon tot he right of the down arrow on the top right and Paste here (Ctrl V)

Ignore Warnings and Information Events. If you have recurrent Error with the same ID#, the same Source and the Same Description, I only need one copy.

Hi Bobbye,

Thanks for the help. The sounds are definitely the Device Connect and Device Disconnect ones. I don't see anything in the Event Viewer that seems related. Is it worth checking all of the running Processes to see if one of those is causing the problem? Tks.

Hmm..

My PC does that sometimes too (the connect/disconnect sound) but I know why. I have a pair of USB sockets built into the side of the faceplate of my PC, and thats where my Webcam and Cellphone data cable plugs into. The top socket is abit loose and when I brush against the cable, it disconnects/reconnects. Maybe you too have a loose connection somewhere.

Without more information and in the absence of a corresponding Error, a loose wire somewhere is as good a guess as any! You could check the Device Manager and see if any errors are indicated there:
Control Panel> System> Hardware tab> Device Manager> look for yellow triangle w/black ! meaning 'error'.

Course you can take the sound off of that feature if wanted. The sounds can be useful to identify a problem- however in a case such as this, with everything checked out, you may not want to listen to it. And if you have any devices connected, try removing them, one at a time, with the sound still on- see if the detective in you can pin it down.

I don't see any yellow flags in the Device Manager area. Everything seems to be working fine. I now have only a single USB device connected (my mouse) and the problem continues. I've been watching Task Manager when the event occurs and I can't tell any difference. There must be some way to "see" what's happening when this occurs.

That's my though also kimsland
I now have only a single USB device connected (my mouse) and the problem continues.
You have two choices to try here:
1. A different mouse
2. Plugging the mouse into a different USB port.

OK. I'll pick up a new mouse and see if that solves the problem. I finally threw away all my old ones recently :(

Meanwhile I've noticed that the sound sometimes corresponds to when I move the mouse, so that's probably it.

Tks for all the help debugging!

-James

Let us know how you do with the new mouse. Definitely suspect the USB port if the new mouse doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back