Adding new RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading "Vista-Painfully-Slow-to-Boot-after-Adding-RAM" thread, I still can't find a reason why my pc boots up very slowly after adding 2x1GB ddr2 ram.

I have a MSI P6N SLI MS-7350 mobo with 2x1GB ddr2 800MHz PC6400 RAM (XMS6405v5.1 5-5-5-12 Corsair)
I thought I had bought the exact same ram as in my pc, but now I see that it is not the same.
The ram I bought is the following: Corsair 2x1GB ddr2 800MHz PC6400 4-4-4-12 2.10V ver6.3

I've tried unplugging the videocard and networkcard, boot pc, shutdown after 1 minute, instal video- and networkcard and boot pc. But no difference...

I haven't tried uninstalling the device drivers. I'm not sure how to do this. (if it is necessary)

The new ram cards are plugged in the orange slots and the old in the green slots of my mobo.

Your system will run at the speed of the slowest memory...
But a common cause of serious slow-downs is a failing hard drive.

Your system will run at the speed of the slowest memory...
But a common cause of serious slow-downs is a failing hard drive.

What do you mean by failing hard drive? When I remove the new memory, all is back to normal...

What should happen if I switch the current memory (5-5-5-12) with the new memory (4-4-4-12)? So I would still have 2x1GB.

Since your drive is likely good, then you still have the memory to deal with.
Some memory does not play nice together.
If possible, memory that is all the same...
In no case that I know will the memory system work faster than the slowest memory module... but conflicts in memory operation on some boards cause more dramatic slow downs.
Run some speed tests with each memory alone, then together... if you have even slower performance,then you need to consider changing one module... regardless of the timings on the label.
It is always better to have all memory modules exactly the same. This is why most premier memory is sold in matched sets, all in the same package.

I've bought them last week, so I can trade them at the store (but I will have to send them back, online bought)

These are the different types of memory I can trade with. (I only wan't to do a trade if I'm sure the memory I have doesn't work!)

About the memtest, I plug in all the ram and just run the test at the startup?
When the test is started it doesn't any interaction anymore, so I can run it when I go to bed...

Ok, I've done the test.
Put in all ram (4GB), runned the test.
This morning I saw that there were no errors and that the test was passed.

Booted up my pc with 4GB ram, very slow boot up.

Removed my old ram and replaced it with my new ram (still 2GB ram)
Weird things...
1 Pc boots up untill windows green load-bar (just before the vista logo)
-> pc restarts
2 on restart I can see the initialisation of my ram, disks, ... but after that screen I get a black screen with in the top left a blinking line (the sort of underscored line you get when you can type things, don't know how this is called...) and it stayed on this screen
3 Turned off the pc and just booted up
I could get in windows, saw my desktop, etc... but after a few minutes -> BLUE SCREEN!
4 Switched back to my old ram -> no problems

Hope you can help me solve my problem with this information.

OK, so I've posted my problem at the forum of MSI.
They told me to update my motherboard from version 2.0 to 2.7.
After doing that, my pc booted up normally.
I'm currently testing the ram with memtest86.
I've done the test #5 30 times with no errors.
Now I'm running test #7 14th time and still no error.
It has been running for 6h21m for 14 loops.
After this test they told me to run Orthos in windows to test for stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back