Additional equipment for first time build

Omnislip

So, I know what components I am going to buy, although with no experience, I fear that I may forget to purchase some essential equipment, things like anti-static wristbands. I'll put some questions in a list, which should make it easy. (antec 902, gtx 460, i5 760, 4 gb ram)

Will I need to purchase any additional wires for my system? (i.e. that don't come with the components themselves)
Does thermal paste come with the retail processor?
Are there any points of general advice you could give me?
If I was to buy only the components listed in the 'Enthusiast system' found in the PC building guide, what else would I need?

Thank you so much for any help.

So, I know what components I am going to buy, although with no experience, I fear that I may forget to purchase some essential equipment, things like anti-static wristbands. I'll put some questions in a list, which should make it easy. (antec 902, gtx 460, i5 760, 4 gb ram)

Will I need to purchase any additional wires for my system? (i.e. that don't come with the components themselves)

Maybe. The case you purchase will come with the connectors it needs. Your PSU will come with them too. Your motherboard may well ship with things like SATA cables etc in the box. If not, you need one sata cable for each device (optical and hard disks).

It will likely come with it already applied, but you can apply better stuff yourself. I'll leave someone else to tell you the best stuff. I just use OCZ silver thermal stuff (can't remember proper name).

Everyone has different way of doing things. It goes without saying that you should read the manual for the motherboard before doing anything.

This is how I build a system:

1. Unpack the motherboard
  2. Fit the CPU and cooler (some people find this easier with the motherboard in place. I prefer to do it on the bench)
  3. fit the RAM
  4. Unpack the case, and remove the sides
  5. Fit the power supply
  6. fit the optical drive(s)
  7. Fit the hard disk(s) (If I'm fitting a fan behind the disks I do this before the drives)
  8. Fit the standoff's for the motherboard into the case
  9. Fit the motherboard to the case and screw it down.
  10. Fit the graphics card to the now fitted motherboard
  11. Wire up all power connectors on the motherboard
  12. Connect the SATA connectors to the optical and hard disks
  13. Fit the silent, replacement and much better case fans
  14. Have a cuppa
  15. Then check absolutely everything from the start to the bottom

If I was to buy only the components listed in the 'Enthusiast system' found in the PC building guide, what else would I need?

Without looking you need the following as a minimum:

Motherboard
RAM
CPU & cooler (retail packs include both items)
Thermal grease if your replacing it
Graphics card (if your not using on-board graphics)
Optical drive
Hard disk
Power supply.
Case
Screen ( :D )
Operating system (its not hardware but its useless without it!)

Recommended:
Decent silent ball-bearing fans to fit your chosen case

It goes without saying that you should take your time, and finish something before doing something else. If its not fitting, don't force it!

If you have any specific questions by all means ask away and I/others can answer them. :)

You are on the right track. You cannot think of everything... Biggest issue is getting the motherboard set up for the hard drive, and with the right boot order.
Then the power supply should be a good one... do not go cheap on the PS
It is usually the common stuff you will miss... not the complex ones.
Keep your thermal paste to a minimum.
Be very careful not to drop a screw driver or cutters onto the board... sometimes the wrong impact can ruin the entire board.
If anything can go wrong, it will. So a little prayer to the Gods might be in order.

No additional wires, provided you bought retail motherboard (since recertified/openbox does not guarantee cables), but you most likely did.
Yes
No
A Phillips head screwdriver.

EDIT:
You mean Techspot's Enthusiast build setup right?
Actually, the motherboard should come in an anti-static bag, set the motherboard down on the bag just in case.
I would put the RAM and CPU on the motherboard (which will be setting on your anti-static bag) before screwing it on the case, which should be buffered by the standoffs is what I meant.

Maybe it's just me, but I like to have a set of small nut drivers around. I use them to set the case standoffs, and also on screws that have hex heads, in lieu of a screwdriver.

A single edge razor blade, to spread the CPU thermal compound.

Isoprophyl alcohol, to clean the OEM thermal compound from the HSF when I use Arctic Silver TC.

A decent pair of needle nose pliers comes in handy from time to time.

Oh, and boot the cats into the cellar until the case sides are back on. (static electricity issues), Curiosity may not kill the cat, but it might kill your motherboard.

Back