Adobe prepping sandboxed Flash Player for Firefox, beta available now

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Adobe is working on a new Flash Player sandbox for Firefox that will essentially work in “Protected Mode” in an effort to protect users against exploits. The design of the sandbox is similar to what the company used with Adobe Reader X Protected Mode and is said to follow the same Practical Windows Sandboxing approach, according to a post on the company’s blog.

In security terms, sandboxing is a mechanism by which running programs are separated from each other to avoid fallout should a program crash or become compromised. Sandboxed apps typically have heavy restrictions placed on them including restricted network access and the ability to read from input devices. As such, the sandboxed version of Flash Player for Firefox will establish a low integrity, highly restricted process that must communicate through a broker to limit its privileged activities.

Adobe notes in the post that there hasn’t been a single successful exploit in the wild against Adobe Reader X since its launch in November 2010 and the team is hoping for similar results with Flash Player sandbox for Firefox.

Adobe just launched a public beta of the Flash Player sandbox although a full stable version isn’t expected until sometime later this year. The Adobe team encourages users to download the beta and help test it to accelerate the release of the final version.

No word on if this will do anything to fix the Flash video lockup issue that has plagued Mozilla’s browser for quite some time now.

Permalink to story.

"No word on if this will do anything to fix the Flash video lockup issue that has plagued Mozilla?s browser for quite some time now."

WTF is this? I use both Firefox for 32 bit and Pale Moon for 64 bit under Windows and have not seen any type of flash video lock up except on non-standard flv or mp4 files encoded with oddball audio codecs. These fil;es will play fine in stand alone players such as MPC or Zoom Player.

dikbozo said:
"No word on if this will do anything to fix the Flash video lockup issue that has plagued Mozilla?s browser for quite some time now."

WTF is this? I use both Firefox for 32 bit and Pale Moon for 64 bit under Windows and have not seen any type of flash video lock up except on non-standard flv or mp4 files encoded with oddball audio codecs. These fil;es will play fine in stand alone players such as MPC or Zoom Player.
If it's what I think it is, then this happens to me when watching videos on YouTube sometimes. I'll load a video, 480p version starts playing, I switch to 720p then start the video again from 0:00 then just as I do that, Firefox locks up and stops responding. Then I have to wait a good 20 or so seconds before Flash craps out and Firefox is responsive again.

Back