Advice for selecting new PSU please

Sarmad

For a new PC I'm building, can someone please advise me on a suitable PSU to get? It has to be silent, modular and reliable. In terms of Wattage required, I'll be running it on an Intel 2600K, P8Z68 Deluxe motherboard (whichis packed with onboard controllers and devices), will be using multiple hard drives for storage and video editing; regarding graphics card, I'm looking at the nVidia GTX 580, which I may expand to a second card for SLI, and maybe a third card for dedicated PhysX; other devices will be scanner, laser printer and modem, and additional ones to concider will be video capture and TV tuner card.

One thing, I notice many PSU's out there don't have the 3-pin fan cable for connecting to motherboard so we can check the PSU's fan speed (especially useful for detecting malfunctions), even though many motherbords do have a connection for it. Is this featuring gatting phased out on PSU's, as it's a feature I would still like to include in my chosen PSU if possible.

Thanks.

google psu calculator add 30% to the results for wattage.

Choose a reliable brand name. Don't skimp on a PSU- a shoddy PSU can wipe out your entire system.

Buy one that meets the wattage and connection requirements of your motherboard.

This would be a great buy if your budget permits.

You could also consider the Corsair 850HX.

+1, but if your going to seriously overclock that CPU, maybe a little higher would be more sensible.

So if its staying at normal clocks, the Seasonic, or Corsair AX/HX850 would be highly recommended.

If your going to really push it with an overclock, I'd pop for a 900-1050W PSU for extra headroom. The Corsair AX1050 springs to mind as a worthy choice here.

Triple SLI is going to really push the power in the region of 600-700W of load when pushing it, so you want something that can really handle that load, long term.

I agree Mizzou, the outstandingly long 7 year warranty makes it even more attractive as well, as thats frankly a lifetime in computer years.

I would highly recommend getting something like a GTX 560 for dedicated PhysX; using the GX 580 for it is a waste of cash IMHO.

That being said, I'd advise going for a high-efficiency (80 Plus Gold rated or above) PSU, since for the kind of power you'd be drawing from the socket, a high efficiency rating would be something to keep in mind vis-a-vis your utility bill. This PSU is an excellent choice in that regard.

Back