Advice on building new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exonimus

Hey guys, I'd like some help on building a new computer for my brother. The budget is around 400 euro's(give or take a few) so that'd be around $620,-.
My brother is a heavy gamer(he doesn't do much else.... :/) and usually plays the latest.
I'm not entirely up to date with all the graphics cards, I've read quite a lot(since it's been a while since I built the last pc) and came up with the following configuration:

Xilence 500W,500Watts
Intel Core 2 Duo,Boxed, E4500
Asus P5B-MX
Leadtek GeForce 8800GT,512MB, GDDR3
2x OCZ OCZ2G8002G,2048MB, 800MHz, DDR2,
Cooler Master Elite 340(case)
(together, about 415 euro)
I'm not sure about the graphics. I've also looked at the 9600GT, which is in the same price range, but from the benchmarks I've read, the 8800gt usually outperforms it. Correct me if I'm wrong. As far as I've read, the ATI cards in the same price range don't perform as well.

Processor:Because it's not extremely expensive and can be overclocked well(if ever needed) Also: if I ever feel the need to overclock, is the stock cooler decent?

Mainboard: read some nice reviews,and I have good experiences with asus mainboards

I'm not sure about the PSU. Any advice for a better one? I have no experience with this brand at all.

I don't need a harddisk because he has recently purchased one. We also don't need extra case fans, we still have them.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome

Xilence PSUs are crappy, stay away from them. Get a PSU from Fortron, Thermaltake, OCZ, Corsair, Enermax, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, Akasa, Be Quiet!, Cooler Master, Seasonic, Sparkle, and Antec and you'd be fine. My personal recommendation would be the Antec EA430.

Everything else looks okay. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

The processor is an important part of any computer, but in a gaming computer the graphics card will pretty much determine how many frames per second your brother will get in most games. Because of that I'd consider a stronger video card if possible. It's not that the 8800GT is slow; it isn't but for extra oomph I'd go with the 9800GTX ($260.00 - $300.00). If you're considering overclocking I'd go with PC8500 or DDR1066. I have a E7200 ($130.00) and with a very simple overclock it performs at E8500 speeds with no extra voltage.

Rage, thanks for the advice on the PSU. I'm probably going with OCZ
Cinders: thanks for the comment. I'd love to go with an 9800gtx but the problem is the budget. The cheapest 9800gtx I could find over here is 230 euro's, which'd leave 170 euro's for motherboard,ram,PSU and case.

I did a little calculation. If I'd switch the 8800gt for the 9800gtx and leave out 2gb ram(to lower the costs a bit) the total would be 476,- which,sadly, is over budget. Now I might be able to up the budget just a bit more(depends if he wants to) but I'm not sure if it's worth it. My bro usually plays on resolutions like 1280x1024(might change later, but at the moment, it won't)

according to a few benchmarks at this site:
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_9800_gtx_performance_preview/page6.asp

the differences are not that major. I mean, when games come which the 8800gt can't handle at this resolution anymore, I doubt the 9800gtx will be able to.

My last option would be to get the 9800gtx second hand. They go for about 180/200 euros, which would significantly lower the cost(these are hardly used and still include warranty).

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how this works out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back