After more than 10 years of service, Microsoft is putting its venerable Xbox 360 out to pasture

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Phil Spencer, head of Microsoft’s Xbox division, said earlier today on the official Xbox blog that they’ve decided to stop manufacturing new Xbox 360 consoles. Microsoft will continue to sell its existing inventory of 360s but once those are gone, it’ll bring an end to a storied console that’s more than a decade old.

With rumors of a successor to the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 making the rounds, the news shouldn’t come as much of a surprise to anyone.

The Xbox 360 will be remembered as a key cog in console gaming history, proving that the original Xbox wasn’t a fluke.

Microsoft announced the Xbox 360 in May 2015 and held a massive launch event in November at a “secret” location in the Mojave Desert. The 360 served as the launching pad for several franchises including Gears of War. Others, like Forza and Halo, really came into their own on the 360.

The Kinect motion-sensing device also got its start on the Xbox 360.

Over the years, gamers have amassed nearly 486 billion Gamerscore points from 27 billion achievements while putting in over 78 billion hours of gameplay (plus another 25 billion spent in apps).

Spencer said that despite stopping production, they’ll continue to support the 360. Specifically, Microsoft will still offer and support Xbox Live services (keeping servers online and active, for example), sell games and accessories, support hardware (presumably, warranties) and continue to offer backward compatibility on the Xbox One.

Permalink to story.

This should come as no surprise, Microsoft just finished getting backwards compatibility working, why else other than to kill off the 360 once and for all. They can close the plant or retool it to produce something else all together.

Shame, end of an era. I might have to get one to replace my current one when it finally dies

I really hope they'll keep the online services and support going for a while longer. I only use my Xbox 360 Slim to get Netflix on my TV, but that has become a big deal to me (as I cut the cord a long time ago). However, I see no reason to buy a new console just for that, and there's no reason to throw out perfectly good hardware.

I really hope they'll keep the online services and support going for a while longer. I only use my Xbox 360 Slim to get Netflix on my TV, but that has become a big deal to me (as I cut the cord a long time ago). However, I see no reason to buy a new console just for that, and there's no reason to throw out perfectly good hardware.
Phil spencer has recently said 360 XBL isnt going anywhere soon.

I didn't know they still made these. I just assumed they stopped making them when the Xbox One came out.

The 360 will be around for many more years, the revised S consoles are great products.
We keep ours in the master bedroom as its a great entertainment platform while being quiet.

"accorded a great deal of respect, especially because of age, wisdom, or character."
NO. This console was a piece of junk. Overheat issues galore. I have easily five systems that are dead in my house that need to be thrown out. This system was a waste of silicon. there were good games admittedly but the hardware was trash.

I picked up my son's unused XBOX 360 in 2015 to use as a Windows Medias Center Extender. It drives my living room TV and reliably delivers content from the Internet, mainly Amazon Prime videos and TV programming I have recorded on my Windows Media center Windows 7 server. I love it.
I never use it for gaming.

Back