After removing malware, my Windows sounds have been disabled

monrayl

I recently had malware removed from my pc (with the help from the malware removal team) and now some of my theme sounds have been disabled (empty recycle bin, windows logon, windows shutdown etc.) The sound files are still there, I just need to find a way to re-enable them.

Please state what OS you are using.

Look in Device Manager and check there are no yellow warnings for missing drivers.

Is the sound working for music or video.

I'm using windows xp professional Service pack 2. There are no missing drivers and yes, the sound for music and video works.

Ok, this guide shows you how to disable the sounds, follow it and check that the sounds are not disabled.

I tried it, and I selected the windows default scheme, but there was no change. The audio files are still on my pc, I can even preview them before I select a sound scheme. I can play the sounds in windows media player as well. The only problem is that when I apply certain audio files to certain actions, nothing happens. Some of the sounds still work though. By the way, I'm on SP2 and I don't have the SP2 disc.

You may like to have a go at this, no guarantee. Be sure to back up your registry just in case something goes wrong. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Fix found in this thread where the same problem was caused by something different but same symptoms.
http://bink.nu/forums/t/5792.aspx

START > RUN > type "regedit"
Click on: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Then on the right side you will see (Default) and some other strange numbers under it. Right click (default) and click delete.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you have the Windows XP disc (with or without SP's)

A couple more suggestions....

1. Look again at the link from Mark56 HERE. On the sound scheme screen (shown below), also try playing the Windows sounds you can select in the window under "Program Events"
> Select a sound and then click the Play button
> Is the play button enabled? Do you hear all these Windows sounds?

If not, the problem may also be: your File Associations (.WAV files should be associated with WMP - Windows Media Player) and your WMP must be up to date
/* edit */
Note all (or almost all) Windows sounds are .WAV files
playwavfile.jpg

Hey Mark56, I tried the 2nd link you posted and it worked. I think the virus may have altered that registry entry. Thanks so much for your help and thanks to everyone else who replied to my posts.

Back