After upgrade no USB ports

sol1109

I have an Asus P8P67 PRO V3.1 motherboard that is only four years old. I was running win7Pro and performed the Win10 install after checking the advisor for compatibility issues with none found. After Win10 installed I was unable to login, no mouse of keyboard activity except at the BIOS level. I have a Logitech wireless setup so I switched to a USB wired mouse and keyboard but still no activity. After installing a PS2 setup I was able to complete the install and registration but none of my USB 2 or 3 devices would work. Checking device manager I found all the USB chips flagged and shutdown for compatibility problems with the OS. After multiple attempts via Asus and Intel I was unable to find a Win10 drivers for these chips. I ended up restoring Win7.

ASMedia XHCI Controller
Intel 6Series/C200 Chipset Family
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013093/

I searched and eventually found a post on a W10 forum from September 2015 quoting Asus to the effect that the motherboard isn't compatible with Windows 10. There are also issues with Windows 8.0/8.1. You may have to stay with Windows 7 but keep checking the Asus website for drivers or a BIOS update.

I would also suggest checking the forums for issues installing Win 7 into Win 10 boards.

The issue there is drivers also, and you have to preload Win 10 into a USB slipstreamed copy of Win 7 to enable its installation.

Now, I have no idea if this helps, but at least you'd have a better understanding of the issues involved with the driver files. Driver files necessary for a Win 10 board, aren't in the ISO of Windows 7. I suspect the reverse may be true.

This Windows "update": KB-3035583 is responsible for all the nagging & BS from M$ about Windows 10. Put your Windows 7 back in, and delete it.

After all, all M$ did with Windows 10, is add "Cortana, along with a ton of invasive telemetry. Since people complained bitterly about the start menu being missing, I'd almost be willing to bet, Windows 10 has more of Windows 7 in it, than did Win 8 or 8.1. Certainly in the desktop experience code, that's a certainty.

In an editorial context, the mutts at M$ really don't seem to care how many people they screw over forcing Windows 10 on their customers.

Last edited:
Back