Alan Wake Remastered lacks ray tracing and HDR but supports Nvidia DLSS - check out the...

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Alan Wake fans were overjoyed to discover that a remaster of the spooky survival horror lands on October 5. It was thought that the new version would support ray tracing and HDR, but developer Remedy Games has confirmed this won’t be the case. What it will have, however, is support for Nvidia DLSS.

Lighting plays a large part in Alan Wake, so the inclusion of ray tracing and, to a lesser extent, HDR would have been exciting additions. Unfortunately, Remedy Games in an FAQ said that adding the features would have been too time consuming and taken resources away from other critical areas.

“We are confident the game looks great even without ray tracing / HDR support,” the company said.

The good news is that Alan Wake Remastered will include support for Nvidia’s DLSS, so owners of supported cards will be able to upscale to higher resolutions if they wish. Elsewhere, ultrawide-monitor users can play the game in their display's native 21:9 aspect ratio, though cutscenes will still be 16:9. There’s also the usual slew of graphical options exclusive to the PC.

The minimum PC specs for Alan Wake Remastered are generous, but then it is a revamped version of an 11-year-old game:

Minimum specs

• CPU: i5-3340 or equivalent
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 or AMD Equivalent. 2GB VRAM.
  • RAM: 8 GB or higher

Recommended specs

• CPU: i7-3770 or equivalent
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 or AMD Equivalent. 4GB VRAM
  • RAM: 16 GB

When asked why this is a remaster rather than a remake, Remedy said it wants to introduce the game to new audiences rather than remaking it entirely. Thankfully, we know that the copious amount of product placements in the original game have been removed.

Alan Wake Remastered arrives on October 5 for PC, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X/S, and Xbox One. Those playing on a PS4 Pro will be able to choose between performance mode (60fps) or quality mode (4K at 30fps). The standard PS4 will be limited to 30fps, while the PC has an unlocked framerate.

Permalink to story.

So it supports DLSS which allows games to run smoothly in 4K but not Raytracing? Then why the DLSS is even required?

Here's an two gen old 1080 plaing it on 4k at around 100 fps :

"We are confident the game looks great even without ray tracing / HDR support"
Yeah, considering that most of the game plays out at night, it would have totally benefitted from HDR. Then again, because it relies so heavy on the difference between light and darkness, an HDR conversion would have required far more work than just recompiling the executable with an additional switch for DLSS, and would have needed actual effort and work put into it, which Remedy was obviously not ready to put into the remaster.

No idea what the point is, seems like they've added nothing at all and are just re-releasing it. DLSS is utterly pointless when this game is old enough to run beautifully on a potato at max settings. Almost any GPU made in the last 4 years can do 4K and even my tablet with it's 15w Ryzen 4700u can play this game maxed in 1080p smoothly. DLSS could probably have been a quick patch for the original that some dev can implement in an hour.

The ONE thing that would have been nice is HDR support so I can enjoy the darkness properly on my LG CX48.

Back