Alien technology or natural phenomenon? Interstellar meteor material discovered

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Public interest in UFOs, alien technology, and galaxies far, far away has never been higher than it is right now. And it's likely to ramp up even further following news that fragments of an interstellar meteor – or is it from an alien probe? – have likely been discovered on the ocean floor.

The story starts in 2017 when astronomers working on the Pan STARRS telescope in Hawaii spotted the first interstellar asteroid ever observed – Oumuamua (below), an object measuring about a quarter of a mile long.

Avi Loeb, who serves as Frank B. Baird, Jr. Professor of Science at Harvard University, was one of the most respected names to propose that Oumuamua isn't an asteroid, but a piece of alien technology. That led to his suggestion that Amir Siraj, an astrophysics student at Harvard, search NASA's Center for Near Earth Object Studies' (CNEOS) database of over 1,000 reported fireballs and meteor impacts.

One entry that caught Siraj's attention was a fireball that exploded near Manus Island on January 8, 2014. Its speed of over 130,000 miles per hour and the fact it exploded much lower in the Earth's atmosphere than other meteors made it stand out. According to a study led by the pair, this indicated "a possible origin from the deep interior of a planetary system or a star in the thick disk of the Milky Way galaxy."

The study was submitted to The Astrophysical Journal Letters, but missing information held from the CNEOS database by the US Department of Defense, which uses the same technologies to monitor the skies for nuclear detonations, hampered the review process.

But things changed in April last year when the United States Space Command (USSC) confirmed the pair's findings in a memo.

And so began a Galileo Project expedition to the Pacific Ocean to retrieve spherules - sub-millimeter-sized spheres - of the interstellar meteorite, IM1. An estimate of where the debris had fallen was calculated using DoD data and seismology readings. With $1.5 million in funding from Charles Hoskinson, the entrepreneur founder of blockchain company Cardano, the team set off. It included Rob McCallum, a former OceanGate Expeditions consultant who had tried to warn CEO Stockton Rush about the Titan submersible's safety issues in 2018.

Coincidentally (or was it?), days before Prof Loeb set off for Papua New Guinea in June, David Charles Grusch, a former high-ranking intelligence official, claimed the US government, its allies, and defense contractors have retrieved partially and fully intact exotic vehicles that have either landed or crashed. The craft are described as non-human in origin.

"I believe that it is easier to seek extraterrestrial facts on the ocean floor than to get them from the government," Loeb wrote.

The aluminum Silver Star vessel set off for the meteor's landing zone, 52 miles north of Manus Island, Papua New Guinea, with the team on June 14.

"There are about 850 spoken languages in Papua, the most linguistically diverse place on Earth," Prof Loeb wrote on Medium. "Yet, if the expedition recovers a gadget with an extraterrestrial inscription, we will add a new language to this site."

A few days later, a 3-foot-wide magnetic sled was dropped to a depth of 1.2 miles onto the ocean floor and pulled along by the ship around a six-mile-wide area. After a week of frustration, a filter with a mesh size of a third of a millimeter was used to sift through the tiny volcanic particles and examine the remaining larger particles under a microscope. It was then that they found a metallic marble of sub-millimeter size and sub-milligram mass. More IM1 spherules, made of a steel and titanium alloy stronger than what is found in other meteorites, were discovered within a few hours.

"One of them looked like Earth, many of them look like gold," Loeb said.

Prof Loeb calculated that two of the spherules have an age of order of the age of the universe – 14 billion years. It's hoped that evidence of the meteorite's interstellar origin will be found in the coming weeks when they are analyzed at the Harvard College Observatory.

Professor Loeb says the team is making plans for another expedition in the spring of 2024, where they will search for a larger relic of IM1. The discovery will be a great aid in revealing the meteor's natural, or technological, origin.

"Throughout my career, I focused on theoretical astrophysics. I chose to lead this expedition because it addresses a fundamental question of great importance to the future of humanity: 'Are we alone?'" Loeb wrote.

"This is not a philosophical question. A technological device might be lurking 2 kilometers under the ocean surface with the answer. If so, we shall find it!"

Permalink to story.

I really doubt that aliens (who obviously have the technology to travel immense distances at mind boggling speeds) would travel that far just to have their spacecraft explode upon reaching Earth!

Last edited:
I like Loeb and have been following him for a while but I think it is inappropriate of Loeb to speculate and spread innuendo before proper analysis is done. Good scientists should only speak to what 'we know' with high confidence. The Sagan Standard still applies, show us the extraordinary evidence, in other words, show us what you got!

If "aliens" were technologically advanced enough to travel to Earth, you'd think they have the ability to "scan" our planet. That means radio, tv, internet etc.
Given the state of Earth today, if YOU were an alien, wouldn't you just bypass this planet?

I really doubt that aliens (who obviously have the technology to travel immense distances at mind boggling speeds) would travel that far just to have their spacecraft explode upon reaching Earth!
I mean, we went to the moon using a calculator and a vaccumm cleaner, yet despite all our modern technology we haven't been able to repeat it. The chinese tried and crashed into it. Despite huge advances in material sciences we still have rockets exploding on launch pads or in transit.

Seems to me that "advanced technology" doesnt prevent accidents.
I like Loeb and have been following him for a while but I think it is inappropriate of Loeb to speculate and spread innuendo before proper analysis is done. Good scientists should only speak to what 'we know' with high confidence. The Sagan Standard still applies, show us the extraordinary evidence, in other words, show us what you got!
What are you talking about? "good scientists" speculate all the time. Coffee causing cancer, eggs making you fat, florida will be underwater by the year 2000, we'll never have a HDD larger then 10GB, ece.

The age of enlightenment for all things extra-terrestrial has come and gone. It's time for our government and others around the world to share what is known without holding back anything. There is simply no further need to hide it ....

The age of enlightenment for all things extra-terrestrial has come and gone. It's time for our government and others around the world to share what is known without holding back anything. There is simply no further need to hide it ....
There's nothing to hide - Because there's nothing. It's all nonsense to fool the gullible into spending more of your tax dollars on vacation time for scientists. The only alien things are pieces of rock floating around space, that fell into Earths gravity well. I.e. not very 'alien' at all.

So the guy has a few pieces of melted metal that may be as old as what Humanity's science thinks the universe is and he is trying to link them to some sort of technology? Unless he can prove that there is some sort of fabricated nano structure, I don't think he has much. As well as Sagan's standard for evidence, he should be following Feynman's rules - always question yourself and your data.

There has been a law passed by the US Congress that prevents UFO (UAP) whistleblowers from being prosecuted. That was a major stumbling block for people coming forward who had knowledge of the possession of ET technology by the US Government and/or US companies. https://thehill.com/opinion/technol...ut-of-the-woodwork-congress-cant-ignore-them/ https://www.congress.gov/117/plaws/publ263/PLAW-117publ263.pdf#page=566

I would not be surprised if more information comes out in the not-too-distant future.
There's nothing to hide - Because there's nothing. It's all nonsense to fool the gullible into spending more of your tax dollars on vacation time for scientists. The only alien things are pieces of rock floating around space, that fell into Earths gravity well. I.e. not very 'alien' at all.
Conspiracy theories always sound great on paper, however, they are subject to providing the same level of verifiable evidence as real theories are.

Back