Alienware AW3423DWF 34" QD-OLED Review: Almost the Same Great Monitor, Lower Price

I have the previous, more "expensive" model, really happy with its contrast, color accuracy... and that perfect black is really a wonder. I managed to get it when it was discounted to almost the same price as this one. And no, the fan cannot be discerned against the background noise of a normal home, even in a quiet environment. As for the user upgradeable firmware... not sure what additional functionality I would ask from this monitor, should I feel adventurous enough to upgrade the firmware.

Just FYI the Gsync module allows for syncing below 48Hz. All the way to 1Hz.
It's not just some useless junk like people would believe.

Just FYI the Gsync module allows for syncing below 48Hz. All the way to 1Hz.
It's not just some useless junk like people would believe.
there's not such thing as gsync at 1hz. stop it. THINK ABOUT IT... gysnc will have the monitor's refresh rate at 1hz if your game is outputtin 1 fps. that's doesn't even make sense! below gsync limit of monitor low frame compensation kicks in. so please stop spreading this misinformation.

Last edited:
I'm not wrong though. Some screens lower bound without the module is 80Hz. 50Hz and 48Hz are the common lower bounds. I'm not spreading false information....you are
@nnguy2

there's not such thing as gsync at 1hz. stop it. THINK ABOUT IT... gysnc will have the monitor's refresh rate at 1hz if your game is outputtin 1 fps. that's doesn't even make sense! below gsync limit of monitor low frame compensation kicks in. so please stop spreading this misinformation.
The only meaningful advantage the G-Sync module has over other display scalers is better HDR tonemapping and variable overdrive. The first one is useful only on true HDR1000 monitors and the other matters only on LCD's assuming the manufacturer has not implemented proper software variable overdrive. On and OLED like the one in this review, the variable overdrive is useless.

But the G-Sync module has many more downsides: $200/200€ tax, higher power consumption, need for active cooling and outdated port selection with no DP 2.1 or even HDMI 2.1 ports.

It might have been great in ~2016 but in 2023 it's hot, expensive and unnecessary.

I don't see why a lack of a reflection-dimming coating on the panel is a negative. One should know going into this that this is a gaming monitor and meant to be used in a dim room. The glossy finish just further deepens the black levels. It's gorgeous.

I own the AW3423AW and I have never been able to hear the cooling fans. Text is just fine. I see no difference between this and past monitors that were IPS. Your eyes just "tune out" any fringing - if there is any. But I'm not a pixel peeper.

This is the single biggest upgrade to my overall experience of a high-end gaming system, even more than a shiny new 12GB 3080 (which I scored on Newegg for $810 back in May when prices were still crazy). I cant praise the picture quality enough! Everything looks absolutely stunning. Burn-in is not even a whisper in my mind. It has the tech to mitigate that with pixel refresh every time I have it on for more than 4 hours, and usually only kicks in after I put my system to sleep. I chose to have my taskbar hidden unless I hover over it to be safe, nonetheless.

If you have the means, this is the best monitor out there - gaming wise. It also does just fine for everything else, too!

BTW, the difference in price between the two on Dell's website is only $100 (if you can afford $1100, you can afford $1200). If you have an Nvidia GPU it's a no-brainer for G-sync. Never seen any tearing on this setup.

Last edited:
Is the difference between the input lag on the AW3423DW and the AW3423DWF really that high?

I bought the AW3423DW because a lot of other reviewers had different numbers.

This is the first time I see such a large difference, is the GSYNC module enabled?

Is the difference between the input lag on the AW3423DW and the AW3423DWF really that high?

I bought the AW3423DW because a lot of other reviewers had different numbers.

This is the first time I see such a large difference, is the GSYNC module enabled?
No it is not, apperently its about 3 ms, which nobody can tell apart.
Its also mentioned in the the Thread from a guy which has both next to eachoter.
Reddit Thread DW /DWF

In the review it says VRR on, does this mean GSYNC.

What is processing lag?

It is .3 for the DWF and 4.7 for the DW
Yes G-Sync is VRR.
VRR= variable refresh rate, mostly stands for G-Sync+Freesync compatibility
Freesync = AMD cards compatible (VRR from AMD)
G-Sync = Nvidia cards compatible (VRR from Nvidia)
processing lag
The time this step takes is affected by the speed of the video processor and the total amount of processing. Although you can't control the processor speed, you can control how many operations it needs to do by enabling and disabling settings. Most picture settings won't affect the input lag, and monitors rarely have any image processing, which is why the input lag on monitors tends to be lower than on TVs. One of these settings that could add delay is variable refresh rate.

Yes G-Sync is VRR.

The time this step takes is affected by the speed of the video processor and the total amount of processing. Although you can't control the processor speed, you can control how many operations it needs to do by enabling and disabling settings. Most picture settings won't affect the input
lag, and monitors rarely have any image processing, which is why the input lag on monitors tends to be lower than on TVs. One of these settings that could add delay is variable refresh rate.

So the difference in input lag between the DW and DWF is correct.

They had GSYNC ON in this review.

Yes G-Sync is VRR.

The time this step takes is affected by the speed of the video processor and the total amount of processing. Although you can't control the processor speed, you can control how many operations it needs to do by enabling and disabling settings. Most picture settings won't affect the input lag, and monitors rarely have any image processing, which is why the input lag on monitors tends to be lower than on TVs. One of these settings that could add delay is variable refresh rate.

Why does the DW have a processing lag of 4.7 but the DWF have a processing lag of .3

What matters the processing lag or processing lag + refresh lag + response time

Back