Alienware's Concept Nyx puts a game streaming server in your home

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Companies have been calling streaming services “the future of gaming” for years, and although we now have the likes of Microsoft's xCloud, Google Stadia, and Nvidia's GeForce Now, that claim still feels unlikely, to say the least. But Alienware’s Concept Nyx is a new take on the idea of game streaming, one that puts the server in your own home.

As part of its CES 2022 lineup, Alienware is showing off Concept Nyx. The idea is pretty simple: it’s a powerful computer for a user’s home that can stream games to different devices. It pulls in user-owned titles from Steam, Epic Games, etc. using Dell’s own propriety software.

In the demo, Alienware showed Cyberpunk 2077 moving seamlessly between a smart TV, a laptop, and a PC while using the same controller. The company is working on being able to stream four individual games simultaneously, all without experiencing the sort of latency often found on standard streaming services, as well as improved graphical fidelity. However, there are reports of the performance in the demo being less than perfect.

Alienware is currently reluctant to discuss the hardware specs of the Nyx server, which looks like a massive desktop PC. The demo used controllers from Alienware’s Switch-like Concept UFO portable gaming PC it showed off in 2020, though there may be new designs in any final product.

Streaming games from home isn’t a new concept—Steam's Remote Play Anywhere has been around for a while now—but running four games at once and being able to play titles from platforms beyond just Valve’s is intriguing.

There are plenty of questions over Nyx: how much will it cost? What sort of home network will be required for optimal use? Who's the target audience? And this is just a concept, so there’s no guarantee it will ever become an actual product.

Permalink to story.

Steam has 99% of the games you'd want to stream and its remote play feature is free. Nothing else really need be said.

Obviously you're gonna need some serious bandwidth. I have FIOS and its uploads/ downloads are definitely stronger than the nearby Cable TV internet providers.

I can't imagine how much energy this will use - one of the questions that needs to be asked.

I'd also wonder if the NYX can be used as a small business web server? And what would the cost-benefit be?

Obviously you're gonna need some serious bandwidth. I have FIOS and its uploads/ downloads are definitely stronger than the nearby Cable TV internet providers.

I can't imagine how much energy this will use - one of the questions that needs to be asked.

I'd also wonder if the NYX can be used as a small business web server? And what would the cost-benefit be?

Why would your external internet connection have anything to do with the speed of your internal network, where this unit will be streaming its content to.

You obviously don't understand this product.

1) No internet is required to stream inside your home.

2) A game server and small business server do vastly different thing and therefore focus on different hardware. (Yes, I realize they both have the word server in their name so it's confusing for some.)

PS. Enough with the GPUs are melting the ice caps narrative. It is both silly and tiresome.

I'm skeptical that this can be as easy as setting up this box as if it was an appliance.

Umm this is running on your LAN and has nothing to do with your WAN connection.

Unless you posted that too show everyone you have fiber internet.

Back