All-in-one PC sales up 57% and growing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Folks are increasingly drawn to the sleek, compact all-in-one systems sold by Apple, HP and others, according to DisplaySearch. Recent data from the firm shows that all-in-one computers grew by 57% from 2008 to 2009 -- a figure that is still on the rise. DisplaySearch forecasts that AIO PCs will jump from around 6.95 million units this year, to 12.79 million in 2015.

Apart from their physical appeal, it's believed that the systems are simply becoming a more viable solution for standard desktop users. AIO computers typically use components designed for mobile computers and are commonly underpowered compared to full-fledged desktops.

However, mobile processors are increasingly powerful and prove sufficient for basic family or corporate usage. DisplaySearch notes that while AIOs have historically been benchmarked against traditional desktops, they are gradually becoming a market of their own.

Apple holds a majority of the market, which isn't a surprise considering the iMac's popularity. HP trails in a distant second, while Acer, MSI, Sony, Lenovo, Dell, Fujitsu, NEC, Asus and others are all on the map with shares from largest to smallest in order of mention.

Permalink to story.

Pity they're all so UGLY compared to the iMac. In my circle, we've bought 8 iMacs so far running Win 7 using bootcamp because they're just so well designed - from the uncluttered lines, to a tilt mechanism that is smooth, no squeaks, no reflective plastic. Paranoid they may be but they design stunning hardware - unlike the PC manufacturers who seem to pride themselves on building ugly hardware.

I may stand alone on this one but I think the Asus system pictured above is attractive, and at the very least not ugly.

I may stand alone on this one but I think the Asus system pictured above is attractive, and at the very least not ugly.
I don't really care for that design either, most monitors don't have anything coming down directly off the front of it, even LCD TVs mostly sit up with the stand supporting them from behind (heh). It just looks funny on that Asus.

But I don't really care for the iMac's look either. Perhaps if they made them in a nice really dark grey or black...

I don't think I'd like an all in one at this point anyway, like most of us here, I like to have reasonably easy access to the innards of my pc and the ability to swap out more than just the RAM and HD.

From a TECH POV...it's crap... Standard components and such make upgrading and repairing easy. You buy one of these nifty things... or an apple...You're on your own!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back