All six Star Wars films coming to digital platforms on April 10th

Scorpus

Staff member

star wars itunes movie film google play digital movie xbox video

Ahead of the launch of The Force Awakens at the end of this year, Disney, Lucasfilm and 20th Century Fox are bringing all six Star Wars films to widely used digital platforms for the first time. The films will be available globally, in high definition, from April 10th.

The digital platforms set to get all six Star Wars movies include iTunes, Google Play Movies and Xbox Video. Fans will have the ability to purchase each film individually, or all six as a discounted bundle as part of the Star Wars Digital Movie Collection.

All six films come with a collection of bonus features (depending on the retailer) including interviews, deleted scenes, special behind-the-scenes documentaries and more. However, the movies themselves appear to be the same versions found on Blu-ray, meaning they include all of George Lucas' controversial touch-ups to the original trilogy.

While some digital stores are yet to reveal their pricing, Google Play has already put up pages to purchase the films. Individual Star Wars movies will set you back $19.99, while the full six film collection will cost you $99. This isn't the cheapest for a digital movie, but pricing is comparable to Blu-ray copies from Amazon.

If you purchase the films through Xbox Video, on top of an exclusive featurette you'll get a free R2-D2 companion for your Xbox Live avatar, as well as a pinball table for Pinball FX 2.

Permalink to story.

Very nice but not for me. I saw the original Star Wars movie back in the 70's and I wasn't impressed at all so I never took any further interest in the rest of the sequels or the games.

Where is the news here? All 6 movies have been available in HD for years now. I got 720P of parts 1-6 about 2 years ago.

Not *this* movie collection again! I already have it on Blu Ray. (And DVD, and VHS before that.) Unless this is some 4K edition with a free upgrade to 8K, then no thanks. Digital download/stream is expensive. I'm not sure why he's asking for more than the physical copies with art and media.

because they are horrible. It's like Lucas didn't have the same drive or something that he had when he did episodes 4,5,&6

That's what happens when you get rich and are sitting on money you lose that hunger.

Happens to everyone that goes from nothing to someone. I believe there was a quote from lucas saying when he made 4,5,6 he made them as movies he wanted to see. epsiode 1,2,3 I believe he said was made more for children. If all of these movie were made in the 70-80's I don't think the drop in quality would have occurred.

The best example are music artist.

When underground and unknown the music is edgy, has alot of emotion and you just feel it. As soon as they get big that edgy, rough sound is gone and they follow suit with the industry to earn those dollars.

because they are horrible. It's like Lucas didn't have the same drive or something that he had when he did episodes 4,5,&6

That's what happens when you get rich and are sitting on money you lose that hunger.

Happens to everyone that goes from nothing to someone. I believe there was a quote from lucas saying when he made 4,5,6 he made them as movies he wanted to see. epsiode 1,2,3 I believe he said was made more for children. If all of these movie were made in the 70-80's I don't think the drop in quality would have occurred.

When underground and unknown the music is edgy, has alot of emotion and you just feel it. As soon as they get big that edgy, rough sound is gone and they follow suit with the industry to earn those dollars.
Disney is of course known for its edgy, kid-unfriendly entertainment. Only a no-name company like DISNEY is hungry enough to tell the story of how the Republic became the Empire and how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader.

What you say is true, but I don't know if it's true for star wars. 1, 2 & 3 came out at the dawn of the CGI revolution, when directors tried to make movies with CGI as the base instead of a decoration that added to the story. Imagine if you made a cake and used frosting as the inside. Sounds great! A pile of the best part of cake! But try to eat a whole slice...

In 1977 they had to rely on the story and the actors. Actors who were known pretty much only for their roles in star wars. Harrison Ford had done a little other work previously, but Mark Hamill and Carry Fischer were Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia. In episode 1, Ewan McGregor was 'that guy from Trainspotting', which, if you've seen it, isn't much like Star Wars. Same goes for Natalie Portman.

Saw this on Vudu and contemplated preordering some, but then thought that a) the originals are probably the messed up messes from George Lucas and not the "original and b) the prequels were crap. All of them. So I'm going to pass on these. I really wish I didn't give up my VHS copies of the originals.

What you say is true, but I don't know if it's true for star wars. 1, 2 & 3 came out at the dawn of the CGI revolution, when directors tried to make movies with CGI as the base instead of a decoration that added to the story. Imagine if you made a cake and used frosting as the inside. Sounds great! A pile of the best part of cake! But try to eat a whole slice...

In 1977 they had to rely on the story and the actors. Actors who were known pretty much only for their roles in star wars. Harrison Ford had done a little other work previously, but Mark Hamill and Carry Fischer were Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia. In episode 1, Ewan McGregor was 'that guy from Trainspotting', which, if you've seen it, isn't much like Star Wars. Same goes for Natalie Portman.

The CGI alone is not the only problem with episodes 1,2,3 there are many more issues. compared to 4,5,6.

Big Bang Theory...

Haven't you seen star wars?
Not on Blue Ray
Hurry, lets watch it before George Lucas changes it again.

Does this mean that I am going to have all six episodes on Netflix too? Or does this mean digital purchases only?

Back