Alleged ATI Radeon HD 5750 leaked, benchmarked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Just over a week after AMD unleashed its powerful ATI Radeon HD 5870 to the world and subsequently the 5850, a forum member at Mymypc.com has posted several images and benchmark numbers of the upcoming HD 5750. Codenamed Juniper LE, this is AMD's first mainstream graphics processor in the ATI Radeon HD 5000 family and is reportedly set to replace the once high-end Radeon HD 4870 with a $150 price tag.

The alleged reference model has a relatively short board and sports a dual-slot design with a teardrop-shaped cooling system slapped on it. Like the 5800 series, it features DirectX 11 support, GDDR5 memory (but on a 128-bit bus and clocked at 1150MHz), and the same port arrangement -- two DVI, one DisplayPort, and one HDMI. The card is also equipped with 1120 stream processors and a 700MHz core clock, according to GPU-Z.

In terms of performance, the new Radeon HD 5750 manages to beat both the HD 4850 and the GTS 250 when running 3DMark06 and 3DMark Vantage's synthetic tests -- although by small margins. We'll of course have to reserve judgment until we can put this card to the test in real-world scenarios, but it seems the Radeon HD 5750 could give Nvidia's GeForce GTS 250 a run for its money when it launches (presumably) later this month.

Permalink to story.

Seriously now... it's ugly as hell. :)

Pricing and performance would be interesting factors here. Also, a third-party single-slot design would make this card perfect for a more powerful HTPC.

First of all who cares if it has a 128-bit memory bus? What does that mean? Yes traditionally 128-bit graphics cards have been bandwidth challenged but that does not mean the Radeon HD 5750 is slow and it certainly does not mean its bad value. Furthermore its an ATI referance card so expect the usual suspects to come up with their own designs.

[-Steve-] said:
First of all who cares if it has a 128-bit memory bus? What does that mean? Yes traditionally 128-bit graphics cards have been bandwidth challenged but that does not mean the Radeon HD 5750 is slow and it certainly does not mean its bad value. Furthermore its an ATI referance card so expect the usual suspects to come up with their own designs.

Was just going to say that.
I use the 4770 and there is nothing wrong with that card,get good frame rates at 1920x1080 with it's 128 bit bus.
With ATI using 128 bit bus width have to ask how come nvidia need 256 bit.

Short PCB wise, what's the best card right now?
My 8800GTS-512 (G92) is still pretty good, but it just barely fit.
I know a 9800-GTX for instance was too long.
I have plenty of PSU with a good 650w though, just size.

'Ew, it's ugly. And 128bit? Seriously? I'm sticking to Nvidia. Can't wait for my GTX =)'

Yeah, Heaven forbid that you install an 'ugly' piece of hardware into a box that'll just sit in there for a good year or so!

Apparently the stickers matter to some people. Maybe if you end users had a clue about the circuitry and engineering design you'd appreciate it for what it is - not the sticker or color of the fan.

Apparently the stickers matter to some people. Maybe if you end users had a clue about the circuitry and engineering design you'd appreciate it for what it is - not the sticker or color of the fan.

what agissi said ....geeeez LOL

Who will be seeing the sticker anyway? Won't it be pointing down? I might look to get one of these when it is released. Does anyone know the power consumption figures for this card? I would assume it is less than a 4870 due to the 40nm architecture.

....on second thought....it does look like one of those big insects that skitters across the floor when you turn on the kitchen light in the middle of the night to raid the last of the lasagna....not the real lasagna , no no god forbid she should take the time to make anything homemade ! so while your in there trying to kill it with the broom she hollerin at you for raising to much racket!....maybe she would prefer the damn bugs!....and you think its dead...but oh nooooo! it just plays dead till you lift the broom and goes on its merry way to get more of its friends to come back and crawl on you while you sleep!!! so you get the dust pan to smash the thing and the wife just hollers more! like your doing it for the fun factor! .......still....it does seem to get decent frame rates....I wonder how it crossfires?

AHHH Lasagna,i know what i am making for supper tonight.

On the things look's,didn't you guy's know that a lot of people put their pc's on a flat table so they can look at their components while they play games.

With a nice big window on my case, along with internal lighting to show the goods, I do care if it's ugly or not. Yeah yeah, it's a lot more then it meets the eye, but it doesn't stop the fact that it's ugly. And nope, the 128bit can still be pretty fast, but if it was more it would make a big difference. I want to upgrade my card in every way possible if I'm dropping 200-300 dollars. And looks for me is certainly an upgrade. =)

With the card in your case you can't see the cooler properly unless you have a big window and it's above your head height.

im just giving ya a hard time Blind :) , I have a clear acrylic case FCS, i would take ugly if it performed well though. with a $200-300 budget though, this would not be your card, you wouldn't find a 128 bit bus on a card of that price range.

I don't really care if it looks ugly; I would probably miss a headshot if I was playing a game and staring at my PC from time to time! =P

BlindObject said:
Ew, it's ugly. And 128bit? Seriously? I'm sticking to Nvidia. Can't wait for my GTX =)
Honestly how many mainstream gfx card manufacturers actually use the reference heatsink design? There are always plenty of alternate arrangements.

From what I've been seeing the 5750 renders approximately the same as a 4870 while the 5770 renders approximately the same as the 4890 and the 4870 and 4890 both have 246 bit memory controllers so there's nothing wrong with these cards having 128 bit controllers, it just makes them a cheaper version of the 4870 and 4890 and with the new process they will be less power hungry than the 4870 and 4890 and be DX11 compatible. I'm sure it won't be too long you start seeing rebates or price drops as we get closer to seeing GTX 3x0 boards being relelased by nVidia and then you won't be able to get your hands on one for love or money.

From what I've been seeing the 5750 renders approximately the same as a 4870 while the 5770 renders approximately the same as the 4890 and the 4870 and 4890 both have 246 bit memory controllers so there's nothing wrong with these cards having 128 bit controllers, it just makes them a cheaper version of the 4870 and 4890 and with the new process they will be less power hungry than the 4870 and 4890 and be DX11 compatible. I'm sure it won't be too long you start seeing rebates or price drops as we get closer to seeing GTX 3x0 boards being relelased by nVidia and then you won't be able to get your hands on one for love or money.

Oops that should say 256 bit memory controllers. My eyes are getting old.

Judging by that sneak peak slides it aint be very power efficient ... 108W on RV840 Juniper at around 180mm2 while the roughly same performing dx10.1 rv770 chip consume same amount of power just on bigger die <260mm2> and older processing node. Well weird to put it mildly. Ntm. more than twice faster sister rv870 that consumes ONLY 75% more power and even 1W more in idle (vs. 17W on RV870 thats almost twice larger chip)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back