Alleged Intel Core i5-12400 Alder Lake sample bests AMD's Ryzen 5 5600X in leaked benchmarks

nanoguy

Staff member
Rumor mill: Intel’s Alder Lake desktop processors aren’t here yet, but that doesn’t stop leakers from spoiling whatever surprises Team Blue may have in store, particularly when it comes to its budget-oriented 12th generation offerings. So far most leaks have been related to the flagship Core i9-12900K CPU, which could be a serious competitor for AMD’s Ryzen 9 5950X, but it looks like Alder Lake could be competitive at multiple price points.

If a new leak from a Bilibili user is anything to go by, Intel’s upcoming Core i5-12400 processor will also be a compelling alternative to existing value options such as the Core i5-10400F, or AMD’s Ryzen 5 3600 and Ryzen 5 5600X CPUs. Notably, the Core i5-12400 doesn’t utilize the big.LITTLE configuration of higher-end Alder Lake parts — instead this is a six-core, 12-thread CPU that is only equipped with Golden Cove cores.

The new CPU will come with 18 megabytes of L3 cache (three megabytes per core) and has a base clock of 2.5 GHz. When it comes to boost clocks, the Core i5-12400 appears to go up to 4.0 GHz on all cores or up to 4.4 GHz in workloads that peg only one core. Interestingly, the engineering sample in the leak doesn’t need more that 78.5 watts during full load and will be able to stay relatively cool. The leaker said they were able to keep it at 60 degrees Celsius when stress testing using an air cooler they had laying around.

When it comes to performance, the Core i5-12400 scored 681.7 points in the single-core CPU-Z test and 4,983.8 points in the multi-core test. These results are better than its predecessor, which is only able to score around 530 points in the single-core test and 4,000 points in the multi-core one. The Alder Lake part is also better than both the Ryzen 5 3600 and the the Ryzen 5 5600X, with the latter scoring 630 points in the single-core test and 4871 in the multi-core one.

The leak also includes a screenshot of Cinebench R20 test results, where we see the Core i5-12400 scoring 659 points in the single-core test — slightly higher than the Core i9-11900K, which is Intel’s Rocket Lake flagship CPU. This result is also higher than the Ryzen 9 5950X, which is only able to score around 640 points without an overclock. As you’d expect, the Core i5-12400 is able to best its predecessor in the multi-core test, with 4,784 points as opposed to 3,954 for the Core i5-11400F. However, it also beats the Core i5-11600K and the AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPUs.

As always, take these results with a healthy does of salt. That said, if Intel is able to come up with a sub-$200 six-core Alder Lake CPU that can best our current top recommendations in the value segment, then it would lend some credibility to CEO Pat Gelsinger’s claim recently that AMD’s performance lead in the desktop space will come to an end with the arrival of the Alder Lake family. It won’t be long before we’ll be able to put that claim to the test.

Permalink to story.

I am typically not impressed when someone says their upcoming unreleased product will beat someone else's product that has been out for months already, but I guess in this case it's nice to see that Intel isn't preparing us for more disappointment.

Allegedly, it's alleged sample alleged benchmark may have allegedly beat an alleged AMD processor, allegedly. Tell them if they want a ~real~ win with ~real~ tests, contact us here at Tickspot.

Golden Cove core is so big that Intel will struggle to sell it under $200 for profit. Of course Intel could sell for loss but that's another story.

Not to mention results are likely obtained using DDR5. Value segment + DDR5, yeah right :D

Hey, a base spec 2x16 GB DDR5 kit may be yours for the low price of $350 according to Videocardz, although Newegg shows the Geil kit as being sold out right now.

I would be very surprised if Intel sold their CPU on their newest process with probably more transistors for the same price as those made on their highly mature, cheap and high yielding 14nm process.

Either way, we‘ll see soon enough and with all these leaks, I am curious what reviews will show.

Not to mention results are likely obtained using DDR5. Value segment + DDR5, yeah right :D
Yeah, I foresee a huge influx of OEM motherboards running this potato on DDR4, making it slower!

You know Intel is nervous when they can't even launch a new memory architecture on an Enthusiast Platform (they feel like they need to take back the Consumer platform, before the memory is even at that price-point!)

It will be a failure of Epic Proportions!

Obviously Intel. Amd . Nvidia etc have spies , look at study papers etc

Bring on the rumour mill - as means it will focus minds and egos - Man those guys look like they have some killer stuff coming out - we need to ....

Intel do have a bank roll, fabs - so big advantage . I think in 4 or 5 years the Fabs coming on line - will probably be neutral for AMD as they tout business - and Fabs will do Fabs best .

Given that - remember all the PS5 , Xbox one rumours - they came out very close in the end

I am typically not impressed when someone says their upcoming unreleased product will beat someone else's product that has been out for months already, but I guess in this case it's nice to see that Intel isn't preparing us for more disappointment.
Not even just a mere few months, the 5600X is a whole generation older than the 12400.

It'd be like comparing AMD's 6800XT to a 2080Ti and being like "hur hur, AMD beats Nvidia, this could well be an inflection point!!!1!"

3MB of L3 cache per core... That's really poor for 2021/2022. AMD's Zen 3 refresh is gonna be super competitive especially with the suspected doubling of L3 cache to 64MB.
Until you've seen Intel and Nvidia both come out on top with "inferior specs."

It's called efficiency when you can do more with less. ;)

You must have been REALLY disappointed with AMD from A64 to Zen then!

Intel will be fine. They're just getting started. And ADL matching Zen 3 iss FAR more acceptable than AMD scrapping everything and Zen matching a four old quad core Intel CPU after 5 years of NOTHING.

Is ADL matching Zen 3 not better than nothing?

Last edited:
Not even just a mere few months, the 5600X is a whole generation older than the 12400.

It'd be like comparing AMD's 6800XT to a 2080Ti and being like "hur hur, AMD beats Nvidia, this could well be an inflection point!!!1!"
It's actually worse than that.

AMD 5600x Launch date: 05/11/2020
Intel 11th Gen Launch: March 2021

When AMD launched the 5000 series, it was Intel's 10th gen at the time.
This is actually Intel's second generation of CPU's finally catching up to what AMD released nearly a year ago.

Anyone want to place bets on considerably higher power usage and heat output vs AMD?

Also, if I'm not mistaken, these new 12th gen chips will run best on Windows 11 as the scheduler has been completely re-designed to take efficiency cores seriously and works alongside Intel's "Thread Director". Which is all fine but I wonder how much of an impact this has when running on Windows 10? Or are we simply going to see higher power usage on Windows 10 as it struggles to decide what should run on the efficiency cores?

Actually kinda can't wait for these to release to see the differences between Windows 10 and Windows 11 from a performance standpoint with a CPU designed to take advantage of the newer operating system.

Back