Alleged Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti specifications leak online

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It’s only a matter of time before Nvidia reveals its GTX 1080 Ti, a souped-up version of its already fast GTX 1080 graphics card. Just how much faster the Ti will be, however, has remained a mystery… until now.

Specifications allegedly belonging to the upcoming card have surfaced over on OC3D courtesy of one of its forum members. The poster claims the card, based on the GP102 core design, will feature 3,328 CUDA cores (for reference, a standard GTX 1080 carries 2,560 CUDA cores while the pricey Titan X packs in 3,584 cores) and run at a base clock of 1,503MHz (boost to 1,623MHz).

Elsewhere, we’re told to expect 52 SM units and 12GB of GDDR5 that provides 384GB/s of bandwidth over a 384-bit bus. All things considered, the GTX 1080 Ti should be good for 10.8 TFLOPs of compute performance which is just shy of the Titan X’s 11 TFLOPs.

The GTX 1080 Ti will carry a TDP of 250 watts and draw power from a single 8-pin connector plus a 6-pin connector, just like the Titan X. Perhaps the biggest difference between the two is the type of memory the GTX 1080 Ti uses – GDDR5 vs GDDR5X – as evident by its reduced memory bandwidth.

It does seem odd that Nvidia would opt for GDDR5 when the slower GTX 1080 also came with faster GDDR5X but I suppose sacrifices have to be made somewhere in the name of saving money.

As always, we remind you to take rumors just as they are – rumors, not fact.

Permalink to story.

Anyone have data on the real world differences between GDR5 and GDR5X? Not the paper stuff, but actual in-game performance differences (FPS, textures, etc.)?

Anyone have data on the real world differences between GDR5 and GDR5X? Not the paper stuff, but actual in-game performance differences (FPS, textures, etc.)?

For that you would need to compare the exact same card with the two different memory types. There is no such card so no direct comparison can be made.

The best you can do is compare the 1070 to the 1080.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1070_review,28.html

The 1080 is 16% faster than the 1070 in the above benchmark.

Now compare the CUDA cores 2560 vs 1920
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1070
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080

That's 25% more CUDA cores on the 1080. It appears as though the architecture does not scale up perfectly with the number of CUDA cores or this could be the work of the memory actually reducing performance, possibly poor optimization. In any case, memory does not typically affect FPS until it is very bandwidth starved or completely overfilled. TechSpot did an article showing that the only time memory size started to affect FPS is when the memory used by a game is 2 GB (on average) over what the GPU is equipped with. What is not shown in most benchmarks and does have an impact on gameplay is stuttering. The max and min frame-rates of GPUs starved for bandwidth or memory will usually be farther apart. I have no idea why more and more websites moved away from using an FPS over time graphic, it is so much better than average FPS, which leaves a lot to be desired.

Just release the damn thing already. My CV1 rig is sitting here missing this final piece of the puzzle.

There was info on stuff like this a month ago and it also popped up on EVGA forums the other day. As far as most can tell, it was said to be fake. A 1080 TI with only GDDR5 memory with no X seems stupid and hard to believe.

Also the source that claimed it all lead back to a very sketchy site they gave very little info to begin with.

Untill a more reliable source can be named or Nvidia come out and say it, there is no truth to any new TI card.

Just release the damn thing already. My CV1 rig is sitting here missing this final piece of the puzzle.

They aren't going to release it until - at the earliest - AMD announces their high-end card.... in the meantime, if you MUST have Nvidia's best card, the Titan X will still be a superior card to the Ti - it will just cost a lot more...

What is the point of these speculation posts anyway. When or if Nvidia releases a "GTX 1080Ti", then we have something. Until then, this is just clickbait.

You know I said that I would never do another upgrade, but if this card is really coming I sell my two evga gtx 970 ftw 2.0+ for just one 1080 TI. My pc with one of that will be the best option for me, im runing 4K. But all this aside I just really want 4k streaming on pc :( :(

Gigabyte G1 gaming 7
Intel i7 6700k

GP102 is out there selling already, might as well fill the gap between the 1080 and the mighty Titan XP.

With AMD still AWOL in the high-end it's gonna be a bumper end of year for those meanies @ nVidia. ;D

You know I said that I would never do another upgrade, but if this card is really coming I sell my two evga gtx 970 ftw 2.0+ for just one 1080 TI. My pc with one of that will be the best option for me, im runing 4K. But all this aside I just really want 4k streaming on pc :( :(

Gigabyte G1 gaming 7
Intel i7 6700k

I would not do that. The 1080 Ti is likely to cost at least $800. You would get maybe $200 for each of your 970s and the price is only going down as the RX 480 / 470 / 1060 becomes more available. Unless you manage to sell local, which people would want a deal cuz they can go to ebay and get them for $200, you should expect $160 back each after fees and shipping. That's $320 towards $800.

I would not do that. The 1080 Ti is likely to cost at least $800. You would get maybe $200 for each of your 970s and the price is only going down as the RX 480 / 470 / 1060 becomes more available. Unless you manage to sell local, which people would want a deal cuz they can go to ebay and get them for $200, you should expect $160 back each after fees and shipping. That's $320 towards $800.

Well lets see how it cost first. Then I decide

there is no final piece to the puzzle my friend.

Nope, I'm with Joe on this one. Although your opinion on final piece to the "everlasting" puzzle is correct I believe Joe's statement here refers to current version generation to achieve a specific result and for this we do have a missing piece. I recently built a new rig specifically intended for best current generation VR performance and did not want to spend the money on a 1080 when the possibility of the TI variant exists. Now I have had my own doubts but at the same time I am also willing to commit to dropping the cash on two pascal Titans but would have felt a bit butthurt of the TI was release a few months after this expenditure. So a got a temp 1070 to tie me over that will be moved to my home rig once they A) officially announce and release the 1080ti or B) nothing is confirmed by January 2017 and I proceed to pickup a set of Titans.

But as an early adopter I know full well that this cycle will be repeated over and over but getting in as early as possible also makes the upgrade much more viable when there is a specific need to upgrade. I would love an official announcement from Nvidia as it could expedite my procurement of the 1000 series GPU's with a couple of months.

Back