Amazon, 7-Eleven test locker idea for in-store package pick-up

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Amazon has teamed up with unlikely partner 7-Eleven and will begin testing a locker idea for in-store package pick-up. If successful, the lockers could be installed at 7-Eleven stores across the country by next summer.

The idea sounds simple enough. Rather than having Amazon attempt to deliver a package to your home when you likely won’t be there (during work, for example), you can elect to have the company drop your order off at a nearby 7-Eleven store, perhaps on your way home from the office.

When a package is delivered to the convenience store, an email notification will be sent to the recipient along with a barcode. To retrieve your package, head to the store and scan the bar code at the system kiosk. A PIN number will then be provided and once that is entered, you gain access to the locker containing your package.

The Daily first reported on this story last Friday but over the weekend a writer for Geek Wire did a little investigative reporting and found the lone Seattle area test locker at the 7-Eleven located at 1522 East Madison Street.

The clerk at that store didn’t have a wealth of information on the unbranded lockers, but said they are expected to go live this Friday and to check with Amazon for further details on the service.

Amazon had no comment on the locker system as of Friday and thus, we don’t know if there will be an additional charge on top of standard shipping to use the service.

As someone that works from home, an idea like this doesn’t particularly appeal to me as I’m available to receive packages throughout the day. But for most, I imagine such a service could be useful. Do you think you would opt to use this delivery method if it does become available nationwide? Would you pay a premium to do so?

Photo courtesy of Geek Wire.

Permalink to story.

I think this is a good idea. My last employer forbade us from having packages delivered to work and it was a pain to pick them up from the UPS facility.

way to think in a insular way Amazon; there's like 12, 7-11's In Canada.. thanks for nothing.

cant you just pick it up at the post office or whoever shipping it for ya, which is the same thing?

If you can't ship to a P.O. box, why can you ship to a box in a 7-Eleven. Just a way to make more money IMO.

Methinks it'll be a free service, 7-11 is maybe looking to drum up some business.
I know for a FACT if i shipped one to a 7-11 (which i would if there were any local) I would buy a large Slurpee to go with it! I loves me some Slurpees.
Also if i needed some gas while i was at the store to pick it up, why would i go elsewhere?

pretty good move on 7-11's part, they're always moving towards the future!

tehbanz said:
Methinks it'll be a free service, 7-11 is maybe looking to drum up some business.
I know for a FACT if i shipped one to a 7-11 (which i would if there were any local) I would buy a large Slurpee to go with it! I loves me some Slurpees.
Also if i needed some gas while i was at the store to pick it up, why would i go elsewhere?

pretty good move on 7-11's part, they're always moving towards the future!

I agree, I'd definitely buy something while I was there. :p

However, UPS always puts the packages on my doorstep if I'm not there. My house is right off the highway, so not many people would see the package anyway. Even when it looks like no one's home (no cars in the driveway), they'll knock on the door and leave. Makes things a lot easier when I order things while on vacation. I probably won't be using this service if it comes out.

I can see 7-11 getting robbed just for the packages. What happened to UPS store or Kinkos, Both have similar services. In fact I ran an Ebay business out of the UPS store for a few years.

Yeah yeah man, Give me all the cash in the register and what in box number 3.

There are 7-11 stores in Germany that hold Amazon packages for people? I live in Baja California, Mexico and use a mailing service across the border in San Ysidro - which isn't kidding when it says they close at 7 p.m. The 7-11 package-holding service will be a major convenience for me and my wife, and we use both Amazon and the stores that sell through Amazon quite a bit. You bet we'll use the service if it's available nearby, and we'd happily pay a reasonable per-package service fee to get that convenience. And probably pick up a Slurpee at least some of the time.

Back