Amazon announces AmazonFresh Pickup, a drive-in grocery service that delivers orders straight...

midian182

Staff member

Amazon's tendrils are continuing to reach out from the digital world into the physical. The tech giant’s latest bricks-and-mortar retail endeavor, AmazonFresh Pickup, gives Prime members a quick and easy way of ordering and collecting their groceries.

The service involves ordering online from AmazonFresh’s selection of grocery items. It’s then a matter of choosing a timeslot, which can be as early as 15 minutes from placing the order, driving to one of the Pickup locations, then having the food loaded straight into your vehicle by an employee. Best of all, there are no minimum order requirements.

There are two Pickup locations available, both in Seattle: One on First Ave South in Sodo and another on 15th Avenue Northwest in the Ballard neighborhood, according to Recode.

AmazonFresh Pickup is exclusive to Prime members, making it another incentive to subscribe to the $99-per-year program. While AmazonFresh delivery costs $14.99 per month on top of the Prime fee, the new Pickup service is free for members – no extra charges for using it.

Like its cashier-free grocery store, the Pickup service is in beta and only available to Amazon employees right now. Expect it to be a popular feature when it does roll out to Prime members, especially among those wanting to pick up their groceries quickly while on the go.

The AmazonFresh Pickup announcement came just a day after Amazon was forced to delay the public launch of its Amazon Go store. Technical difficulties in the outlet, which uses an array of cameras, sensors, machine learning and advanced algorithms to track items picked from the shelves, have forced the company to push back the public opening date.

It was revealed yesterday that Amazon could be opening furniture stores that come equipped with AR or VR headsets to allow shoppers to visualize how items would look in their homes. The company may also be planning to open Apple-style electronics stores that sell dedicated products such as Echo speakers and Amazon Prime.

Permalink to story.

AmazonFresh Pickup???
One would've though they could come up with a more creative name, that one sounds like a street walking hooker coming on shift.

My only genuine concern with this service is how they manage perishables. Anytime I go to the grocery I have to root around the cartons of milk to find one that doesn't expire in just 4 days. It's obviously to Amazon's advantage to get rid of the older stuff as fast as they can, but in the long run that is going to work against them. Can goods and things with a long shelf life won't be as critical, but the perishables will be a make or break deal for them as it has been with others that have tried this kind of service .....

If they were smart they would stop charging excess fee's on their other shipping in the attempt to get everyone to sign up for "prime". I know quite a few people around here that flat stopped using Amazon for gouging the customers on their shipping & handling charges, especially since Walmart has opened their campaign ....

Counter attack to Wal Mart's grocery pick up, a service I use quite regularly.

My only genuine concern with this service is how they manage perishables.

I usually still go in store to purchase products like fresh produce or raw meats (unless it's pre-packaged Tyson brand chicken). I have no problem running in and grabbing those type of items myself. If they pick up and bring the rest of the groceries to my car, it's only a 10 minute grocery trip vs a 45 minute to an hour grocery trip had I done it all myself.

So for things like boxed cereal, bottled water, spices, pasta noodles, sauces, juices, snacks, frozen goods, condiments, trash bags, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc ---- do it all on-line and pick up. Then just grab the other few items yourself.

Back