Amazon.com has finally gone completely insane... really!

Well, if they have that much money ...

I don't know how much a minute would help to cut shipping times. A minute being the time between item being in cart and checkout, and payment processed.

If they actually do deliver merchandise that was not ordered, you are not obligated to pay for it and you may keep it as a gift according to federal law. Seems risky on Amazon's part.

This is the point in a company's development wherein the CEO develops paranoid delusions of godhood, then starts talking s*** like Elon Musk...:D

I think this is an overreaction.
They're trying to reduce shipping times in an unobtrusive way. No you're not going to show up with unwanted crap on your front door.
And if something does show up on your front door with your name on it, it's legally yours and certainly Amazon will not be able to charge you for it by mistake.

I think this is an overreaction.
They're trying to reduce shipping times in an unobtrusive way. No you're not going to show up with unwanted crap on your front door.
And if something does show up on your front door with your name on it, it's legally yours and certainly Amazon will not be able to charge you for it by mistake.
Well, they did cover that eventuality in the press releases.

My take is that they're just into making wildly over sensationalized press releases for the attention it brings them. Sort of like rabid sound bites.

That notwithstanding, the idea of unmanned drones flying around large American cities delivering packages is, IMHO, completely absurd. The danger of terrorists imitating the aircraft and delivering explosives, is a very real possibility.

Then too, our aircraft traffic control systems are already working at, or very close to capacity. And unless Amazon intends to make a substantial contribution to the system, then they should probably introduce legislation to prevent it.

When any company starts starts talking crap of this magnitude, I smell trouble afoot. It seems they're trying to out BS Google. People talk harshly about Google and its invasions of privacy, and they almost pale by comparison to a company who claims they can predict what you're going to buy before you do.

When I first saw this, I'm skeptical about it coming to pass. That was mostly superseded by my desire to report the credit card of mine they have on file, as stolen.

Epilog: They should get Elon Musk on board with this, and they can deliver packages by drone which people didn't order, to his colony on Mars.:p

Could we revisit this if packages start stacking up on your doorstep?

Besides, how long have you and the CEO of Amazon been on a first name basis?
Sure, we could revisit this but since I don't/never have ordered from them, I don't think it'll happen.
Since the media calls him by his first name, why shouldn't I? (we)? :)

Sure, we could revisit this but since I don't/never have ordered from them, I don't think it'll happen.
So then, it's easy for you to dismiss this article, since you have no jeopardy attached
Since the media calls him by his first name, why shouldn't I? (we)? :)
I'm going to go with, "the looney tunes control freak megalomaniac over at Amazon". You can call him whatever you choose. With that said, you'll still have to show me some psychiatric credentials before I come over to your side.

Purchasing decisions can certainly be predicted by analyzing the data they've cited in the article, but I'm dubious they can make this work in online retail. Logistically, they're going to have at least 30% of these speculative shipments rejected by the customers if the program works efficiently. There's also that pesky problem of intrusion into the customer's decision making process...Not exactly good for PR.

I'd scrub this entire idea and use the data to boost goodwill. Find out what frequent Prime members are looking for or on the fence about and offer 50%-100% discounts on the items once or twice a year. It will increase their sales volume and sell more Prime memberships.

It is just a patent, doesn't mean anything yet.
No, it doesn't, they're talking smack in a cheap imitation of a Steve Jobs hyperbolic press release. Sort of like, "the iPhone will revolutionize the world of communication". The problem resides in the fact they don't actually have an iPhone.

I window shop Amazon to death. (Although I call it, "dry shopping", in reference to teenage foreplay). If they were to ship on the speculation that I would be buying even half the things I look at, UPS would be at my door with another free gift, every other day.

Where I see the danger in this whole sordid concept, Amazon would have to do a psych eval on you, before they shipped anything on speculation.

Would you roll over and cut them a check? would you refuse the package? Would you just keep the package and swear you weren't interested in it, or anything Amazon sells like it? Who you sue them for invasion of privacy? All relevant questions, without concrete answers as of yet

Or are they just filing the patent in advance of suing a similar development by a competitor?

If they actually do deliver merchandise that was not ordered, you are not obligated to pay for it and you may keep it as a gift according to federal law. Seems risky on Amazon's part.

Funny you had mention this. This happen to me Christmas 2012. I had ordered one West Bend White Can Opener and two had arrived from two different Amazon Hubs. I wasn't charged for the second one.

In 2013, had sent back a defective part and they sent me a brace for my elbow. I didn't want to get charged for this item. So I called into CSR and they didn't have a clue. When I got a letter telling me that the part I had ordered sent out. That's why I had called them. Someone didn't handle the return correctly. They told me to keep the elbow brace at not charge.

There, I narrowly avoided a triple post on your part, with wit,and sheer force of will. To tell the truth, I knew in advance you were going to double post, but simply didn't get here in time.

I don't know why nobody seems to get this but.......After a CEO has his (or her) a** kissed incessantly for years, they think they're a God among men. This is not without precedent, as monarchs throughout history, have convinced themselves and their subjects, they're the personification of God on earth.

Since we have replaced ruling families with capitalist oligarchs, we have in essence, undertaken to worship them as deities instead.

At that point, they start to spout crap like, "I know what you're going to buy before you buy it, and I'm going to have a fleet of drones to deliver it. It might cost you $100.00 to have a $10.00 CD shipped to you that you didn't want, but what the hell does your opinion count for anyway.

I mean really, just listen to Steve Jobs give a product presentation. Every style over-conscious, fat of wallet, narcissist, and vacuous yuppie, is totally enraptured, and when he snaps his finger, they wake with an overwhelming need to buy an Apple anything.

Last edited:
I don't know why nobody seems to get this but.......After a CEO has his (or her) a** kissed incessantly for years, they think they're a God among men. This is not without precedent, as monarchs throughout history, have convinced themselves and their subjects, they're the personification of God on earth.

Socioeconomically, a billion-dollar CEO is a god among men.

Since we have replaced ruling families with capitalist oligarchs, we have in essence, undertaken to worship them as deities instead.

I see no room to play contrarian on this point. It is, as some would say, indisputable.

At that point, they start to spout crap like, "I know what you're going to buy before you buy it, and I'm going to have a fleet of drones to deliver it. It might cost you $100.00 to have a $10.00 CD shipped to you that you didn't want, but what the hell does your opinion count for anyway.

The strategy is theoretically possible, so I'd argue it's more ambition speaking than unmitigated ego. They also can't charge you for what you don't want/didn't actually order. If anything, the proposed system is open for abuse on the consumer end.

I mean really, just listen to Steve Jobs give a product presentation. Every style over-conscious, fat of wallet, narcissist, and vacuous yuppie, is totally enraptured, and when he snaps his finger, they wake with an overwhelming need to buy an Apple anything.

But are they satisfied?

The strategy is theoretically possible, so I'd argue it's more ambition speaking than unmitigated ego. They also can't charge you for what you don't want/didn't actually order. If anything, the proposed system is open for abuse on the consumer end.
At this juncture, I'd like to point out that "ego", is the engine of ambition.

You really have to be comprehensively self absorbed, to believe that customers will "welcome", a bunch of nonsense like this, the FAA will automatically capitulate to having your toy aircraft flitter about in terminal control areas that are all large cities.

John Watson, considered to be the father of american behavioural psychology, went off the deep end by claiming that if you sent him anyone, he could make them into whatever he chose. Needless to say, he quit clinical and research work, and went into advertising.

And this fool at Amazon, at least in my mind, appears at least as crazy.

One James Brown, "The king of soul", (again self proclaimed), began one of his screaming sessions by proclaiming, "I am the God of hell's fire". My response was to turn off anything, or get as far away as possible, on which it was playing. But in fairness, I suppose the weak of mind bought into it.

The fact that you don't have pay for anything you didn't order (*), is further evidence how over the top, and enamoured with his own persona, this megalomaniac is.

(*) You have to be aware that he couldn't not know that, going in.

But are they satisfied?
Are yuppies satisfied with Apple products, you ask? Well, they generally don't know enough on the technical aspect of the issue, to make a fully informed decision. But, anything that is shiny, and advances their quest for status, likely launches them into ecstasy!

At this juncture, I'd like to point out that "ego", is the engine of ambition.

I completely agree. However, I don't see why this point would need pointing out. It's like the statement that you can't speed without sufficient horsepower. You seem to be arguing that this guy is doing 120 in a 65 because he's driving an overpowered car (and he probably is). But this whole scheme of his seems to me to be less a property of what's under the hood and more so an indictment of his right foot.

Are yuppies satisfied with Apple products, you ask? Well, they generally don't know enough on the technical aspect of the issue, to make a fully informed decision. But, anything that is shiny, and advances their quest for status, likely launches them into ecstasy!

Where consumerism is concerned it is always better to savor the ecstasy of ignorance than experience the misery that is enlightenment. I've yet to meet a fully informed person whose head doesn't explode when certain things happen in the world. Take this thread for example. :p

I completely agree. However, I don't see why this point would need pointing out.
You made that distinction, I simply rang in on it.....:D

Ego is the entity that makes soldiers believe they can't be killed in battle. Ambition, is usually accompanied by a bit of restraint. The general watching the battle through field glasses, he's the one with all the ambition. (You can't get that next star, with a bayonet through your chest).

Buy yeah, I have to admit when I got wind of this topic/outrage, my head blowed up real good...:eek:

Last edited:
Back