Amazon could boost Prime Video with the addition of live TV

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: The addition of live programming would provide Amazon with a viable way to differentiate itself from other on-demand offerings like Disney+ and Netflix, both of which specialize in the delivery of pre-recorded content. And it might not look like other over-the-top streaming services, either.

Amazon is reportedly exploring the option of bringing in live television to complement its on-demand Prime Video catalog, job listings posted over the last several weeks suggest.

An unnamed industry insider recently told Protocol that the e-commerce giant has been actively pursuing licensing deals with broadcasters for live and linear programming. The source said we should assume that Amazon is talking with everybody.

Protocol notes that Amazon could bundle its existing Prime Video catalog with a smaller selection of must-see live and linear programming, likely in a bid to avoid the high content costs that drove Sony to discontinue its PlayStation Vue TV service earlier this year.

Amazon already has plenty of experience streaming live broadcasts through Prime Video, having partnered with the NFL to distribute Thursday Night Football games during the regular season through 2022.

Ultimately, Amazon’s success or failure in this space could come down to pricing and programming offered. True a la carte pricing (paying only for the individual channels you want) would be an obvious home run but thus far, nobody has been able to get industry executives to agree to that – not Apple, and likely not Amazon, either.

Image credit: rafapress, andrewvect

Permalink to story.

It would be a good addition, especially with the price increases of PRIME last year. Unfortunately, with the pandemic their delivery guarantee's are way off and they still seem to be riding that cow to get out from under their promises. I for one am seriously considering dropping prime; it just isn't worth it any longer and I don't buy enough to save on the shipping .....

It would be a good addition, especially with the price increases of PRIME last year. Unfortunately, with the pandemic their delivery guarantee's are way off and they still seem to be riding that cow to get out from under their promises. I for one am seriously considering dropping prime; it just isn't worth it any longer and I don't buy enough to save on the shipping .....

Agreed, I stream none of their video content. I only utilize their music. I guess I could pay for a different music service instead....hmmm..maybe its time for a change

I wouldn't be keen on live content, in UK it would requiring paying Bulls*** Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) their TV license dues. National news organisation only have one purpose, propaganda.

For the most part I have seen the exact opposite. Most of my Amazon orders have come in faster than the initial delivery estimate. This mostly happens when they deliver with Amazon Delivery. Now if it ships via USPS...I am just happy I got it at all.

Also, It could because I generally only order Prime Items or fulfilled by Amazon.

Last edited:
Back