Amazon crowned the most reputable company in the US

Emil

Staff

Amazon has been named the most reputable company in the US this year (up from 21st place last year), according to the sixth annual list of the 150 Most Reputable Companies from advisory firm Reputation Institute (RI), in partnership with Forbes Media. The list is based on RI's US RepTrak Pulse Study, which measures trust, esteem, admiration, and good feelings consumers have towards the largest 150 companies based on revenue in the US. The ratings are analyzed from nearly 33,000 online consumer responses taken in January and February.

Amazon had a pulse score of 82.70, which was 5.76 points higher than last year and 1.30 points higher than Kraft Foods, the second most reputable company. The Seattle-based company earned first place ranking by providing value to users, staying ahead of the curve in technology and innovation and responding quickly and ethically to scandals. Here are the top 10 companies for this year, and their corresponding categories (if you want to see the full list of 150 companies, head over to Forbes):

• Amazon.com (Retail – General)
  • Kraft Foods (Food – Manufacturing)
  • Johnson & Johnson (Consumer Products)
  • 3M (Industrial Products)
  • Kellogg's (Food – Manufacturing)
  • UPS (Transport & Logistics)
  • FedEx (Transport & Logistics)
  • Sara Lee (Food – Manufacturing)
  • Google (Information & Media)
  • Walt Disney Company (Information & Media)

In addition to Amazon and Google in the top 10, here are some other notable rankings for technology companies: Texas Instruments was number 11, Staples was number 19, and Intel was number 22. Then there are many of them in the 40s. Hewlett-Packard was in 40th and Cisco Systems took 42nd. IBM, Apple, Microsoft, and Oracle were all very close: 44th, 46th, 47th, and 49th, respectively.

"People can understand their business model, which is a little unusual in today's world," Anthony Johndrow, RI's managing partner, said in a statement. "And Amazon really takes pains to establish solid governance rules so the free-for-all, Wild West the Internet has become in some arenas, feels like a place where you can conduct transactions and get fair value in a safe environment."

Permalink to story.

That doesn't say much at all for the rest of them. Amazon are a bunch of cheapskate liars.

Kraft foods! They are 1 of the worst Companys in my books basterds buying Cadburys saying they won't shut the factorys and then closing the UK factorys.

Amazon rocks with Amazon prime...wouldn't buy anywhere else...I agree they are very easy to do business with,

I've generally had pretty good luck with Amazon, especially when the product is sold by and shipped by Amazon. On the other hand, you really need to do your homework before buying from many of the etailers that are selling through the Amazon storefront.

3M was revealed to have been poisoning the groundwater of the south-east metro area of the Twin Cities, huge cleanup is involved.

AGREED! JNJ??? With too many recalls for Tylonal(spelling), Depuis hip implants, and children's medicine I find this "poll" is way off the mark.

I was appalled when I read the headline.

What about wikileaks??

Still, I feel better having seen rest; exploiters of kids and purveyors of trash foods. How could anyone trust this rotten bunch?

Headline: "Amazon crowned the most reputable company in the US "

Article: "annual list of the 150 Most Reputable Companies... [out of] the largest 150 companies based on revenue in the US"

Proper headline: "Out of the 150 most powerful multi-national corporations, Amazon is the least reviled (probably because it has the best marketing)"

The inclusion of Johnson and Johnson on this list makes it a joke. They've had over 50 product recalls in the past 2 years:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_15/b4223064555570.htm

Give me a break.

At least the god damn United States Postal Service is not on the list.

Amazon deserves this rating. All of my dealings with them have shown perfect customer support. I have been purchasing from them since they first came online. Once, many years ago, I made a very expensive purchase of some educational books and had them shipped to a foreign country for a student I was helping to learn English, and the shipment was lost. I reported it and it was reshipped, no questions asked. Another time I bought a book I intended to keep as a collector's item. It arrived with a damaged page. They replaced it immediately and sent it wrapped in several layers of thick paper, obviously done with respectful care. I wish them the success they deserve. They are a company that offers a service that has helped me for sure.

Amazon doesn't do marketing. It's usually third party that markets for them, e.g. media, word of mouth.

Back