Amazon gearing up to take on Apple's iPad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Amazon seems to be gathering resources to launch a touch-enabled Kindle e-reader. The company is reportedly purchasing Touchco, a startup specializing in touchscreen technologies. The firm of six will be merged into Amazon's Kindle hardware division upon acquisition. Terms of the agreement remain under wraps, and an Amazon spokewoman declined to comment on speculation, as did Touchco's co-founder.

Touchco's interpolating force-sensitive resistance technology is said to be considerably cheaper than the capacitive touchscreens used in the iPhone and iPad, and it can detect an unlimited number of simultaneous touches. The technology can be used in full-color LCDs, and Amazon may opt for such a display on the next Kindle to more effectively compete with the iPad and other such devices.

This also jibes with Amazon's plans for a Kindle SDK and applications store, along with news that Microsoft's corporate vice president of Windows platform strategy will be leaving to work on the Kindle.

Permalink to story.

Apple.... Amazon is going to wipe the floor with your iPad. Finally, a touch device that makes sense.

If other tablets live up to their potential, and if you can read books on them, I would see little reason to invest in any kind of ereader. Kindle still carries a ~$250 price tag. I would rather spend a bit more than that for something that has way more functions.

That is a fair comment, but right now iPad (such a horrible name anyway) just doesn't make up to this grade either. Hence, unless someone is Apple fanboy i see no good reason to buy one, however, there are several very good reasons not to.

Nooo, don't opt for an LCD screen! The whole reason I bought a Kindle was for the E-Ink technology (used in other e-readers too). You might want to read on your tablet, but serious readers want to avoid the eye strain.

I'm looking forward to the new screen technologies out there. Pixel 3Qi is probably the most promising, it's got a color mode and e-ink mode, and uses some clever tech to internally reflect ambient light, making it much easier to see in outdoor situations (without having to dump huge amounts of power into a backlight).

@Vrmithrax: Pixel 3QI does not have an "e-Ink mode". It has two different LCD modes - color LCD with backlight (like a traditional color LCD), and black-and-white with reflectors (the mode you're talking about). The only similarities that black-and-white mode has to e-Ink are that they are both black-and-white and neither use a backlight. Otherwise, they are completely different technologies.

Sorry, I should have said "e-ink-like" up there... heh.

I just like the thought of a tablet style computing platform that can actually be read for long periods of time without eye strain, which is what the Pixel 3Qi can provide in their multiple operation modes (they seem to like calling them "epaper" modes). And having very low power requirements is a bonus.

Should be interesting to see if they can establish a good solid foundation in the industry. I was just reading an article about the company in Wired magazine last week, gave me hope.

Wouldn't be hard, just include what everyone was hoping the iPad will have and give it a name that doesn't make you think of female hygiene.

I guess I'm really out of touch but wouldn't it be really cool to buy a book or go to the library?

You could shove your iPad in your underwear while you were there, in case you were having one of those "special" days where you were feeling "somewhat less than fresh".

illiteracy...choice of the new generation

That the "baby boomers" are now reaching retirement age is not really the big deal everybody makes of it.

What is far more serious, yet nobody seems to take notice, is the fact that all the original crack babies have now reached "adulthood", however useless, drug addicted, and mentally deficient that "adulthood" may be.

So. it's highly likely that illiteracy may not be a "choice", but rather a result of diminished capacity.

The age old adage that "water seeks its own level", rather tragically applies to human breeding paradigm. Stupid, ugly, useless, and mild to moderately retarded, tends to embrace its own peer level at the onset of rutting. The resultant offspring post at "failblog".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dividebyzero View Post
illiteracy...choice of the new generation
That the "baby boomers" are now reaching retirement age is not really the big deal everybody makes of it.

What is far more serious, yet nobody seems to take notice, is the fact that all the original crack babies have now reached "adulthood", however useless, drug addicted, and mentally deficient that "adulthood" may be.

So. it's highly likely that illiteracy may not be a "choice", but rather a result of diminished capacity.

The age old adage that "water seeks its own level", rather tragically applies to human breeding paradigm. Stupid, ugly, useless, and mild to moderately retarded, tends to embrace its own peer level at the onset of rutting. The resultant offspring
post at "failblog".

Well said sir, well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back