Amazon warns customers that their PS5 could be delayed; Sony apologizes for pre-order...

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: Given that it's one of the most anticipated products in years, the chaos surrounding pre-orders for the PlayStation 5 should come as little surprise, especially as many retailers ignored Sony's official pre-order date and went live a day early. Most places were 'out of stock' within minutes, but Amazon faired better—or so it seemed.

Following its PlayStation 5 event last week, Sony tweeted that pre-orders for the next-gen console would be available "starting as early as tomorrow [September 17] at select retailers." It appears that Target, BestBuy, GameStop, and Walmart never got the memo—or didn't care—opening their pre-orders a day early [September 16].

The resulting free-for-all resulted in crashes, broken links, and, in some cases, caused DDoS protections to kick in, blocking some users. Many people, including this writer, managed to place a PS5 in their shopping carts only to find it replaced with an 'out of stock' warning at the checkout.

Those who secured a PS5 pre-order on Amazon, which seemingly avoided many of these issues, could find themselves disappointed—the company says they might not arrive in time to make the November 12 release date. In an email sent to customers, Amazon warned: "We're contacting you about your order of PlayStation 5 to let you know in advance that you may not receive this item on the day it is released due to high demand. We'll make every effort to get the item to you as soon as possible once released."

The situation has led to PlayStation 5 pre-orders appearing on eBay for ridiculous prices. There are hundreds of listings for the console, which has an MSRP of $499, many of them over $1,000. The most expensive 'Buy it Now' is a comical $12,500. We've seen the same situation with the RTX 3080.

Sony has apologized for the mess. It tweeted: "Over the next few days, we will release more PS5 consoles for pre-order – retailers will share more details," adding that extra units would be available through the rest of the year.

Just before its PS5 event, Sony denied a report that there would be a shortage of PS5 units due to alleged SoC production issues. Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan promised there would be "more PlayStation 5 units ready for sale than they had PlayStation 4 units in 2013."

Permalink to story.

This is the best time to switch from PC master race to conslow. GFX,MB,CPUs and RAM prices just don't calculate for me. I rather save this £ for OLED TV 120 mhz hdmi 2.1 and PS5. I don't have pc last 3 year. I still have in my closed 2600 from amd x470 Asus rog -7 I think this expensive ram g skill 3200 d14 b- die expensive psu 750 w ssd nice freesync monitor. Took me me 2 year's to complete my setup now I don't care..

This is the best time to switch from PC master race to conslow. GFX,MB,CPUs and RAM prices just don't calculate for me. I rather save this £ for OLED TV 120 mhz hdmi 2.1 and PS5. I don't have pc last 3 year. I still have in my closed 2600 from amd x470 Asus rog -7 I think this expensive ram g skill 3200 d14 b- die expensive psu 750 w ssd nice freesync monitor. Took me me 2 year's to complete my setup now I don't care..

This is the best time to switch from conslow to PC Master Race.

The Suit in charge can technically ensure they have only one more PS unit available for sale more than they had in 2013 and still be matter-of-fact correct.

Eagerly waiting for the inevitable salty threads at Reddit regarding.

Looks like nobody can stop scalpers. Let's face it, if you have the bot and the capital, why not buy as many units of PS5/3080 as you can? Nobody's stoppin' you, it's a free country.

The Suit in charge can technically ensure they have only one more PS unit available for sale more than they had in 2013 and still be matter-of-fact correct.

Eagerly waiting for the inevitable salty threads at Reddit regarding.

Looks like nobody can stop scalpers. Let's face it, if you have the bot and the capital, why not buy as many units of PS5/3080 as you can? Nobody's stoppin' you, it's a free country.

Scalpers why is the tech world renaming the world, resellers. These "scalpers" have been called resellers for a long time, the actual "scalping" word is a bit whack. Anyway, not here to argue semantics anyway.

They need to simply add a better system. One order per account, one per address for the first 3 months. But then again it's in the companies interest to sell as many as possible as quickly as possible, so why stop reselling?

If all you do is game and consume media through Netflix/YouTube etc, then sure I can see this. However if you want 4K 120p in all titles then upcoming 3070ti is probably going to be a nice little sweet spot to future proof for time being. If you think Xbox Series X will be pulling 4K 120p in many titles, then you are in for a treat, unless they will have some form of a slider where you can lower graphical fidelity in favour of FPS while still retaining resolution.

Back