Amazon's Ring now has partnerships with over 2,000 police and fire departments

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: Amazon Ring's partnerships with police and fire departments that allow them to request users' security camera footage has brought plenty of controversies. But the company isn't slowing down the program—quite the opposite. A new report reveals that 1,189 departments joined last year, bringing the total to 2,014.

The Financial Times reports that the number of local police and fire departments added to Ring's Neighbors Portal program in 2020 was more than double the 703 new additions from a year earlier. In 2018, just 40 signed up. There are now only two states in which no departments participate: Wyoming and Montana.

Police and fire services taking part in the program requested videos for more than 22,235 incidents last year. Amazon notes that customers can opt-out of receiving requests from police, but subpoenas, search warrants, and court orders can still be used to access footage from users opting to deny requests.

Police made 1,900 requests for data that users had denied to them, and Amazon, which has the final say on whether to hand anything over, agreed to 57 percent of these. While that's lower than the 67 percent it complied with during 2019, the number of these requests increased 150 percent in 2020.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) has warned that while some owners may be okay with sharing their footage, it's possible that neighbors and passers-by could be caught on camera, essentially creating a "massive and unchallenged" surveillance network.

Those unconcerned about the program's privacy aspects might feel safer knowing police have another tool in their arsenal, but an NBC News report from February 2019 found it wasn't beneficial when investigating severe crimes—most of the arrests that used Ring footage were for low-level, non-violent property crimes.

Permalink to story.

I have some neighbors with rings on their front doors. I don't visit them anymore. if I knew it was a closed system - like them recording to their own house and/or to private cloud storage (ok, 'private' does sound stupid next to 'cloud storage' I admit) - I wouldn't mind really.
but I'm not a huge fan of this arrangement

Until one of the companies creates an affordable closed system I won't have anything to do with it. Simply too many incidents of these being hacked for God only knows what purpose and with the number of incidents of police illegal surveillance (no Federal warrant) through Stingray and some of their other toys it's just not something that I would now or ever trust.

I'm not buying one...

I'm not using one if one is given to me free.

Whatever crimes don't get solves won't get solved.

My packages can get delivered to the pickup bin and I'll go get them.

Maybe these could capture the occasional affair or something, but I just don't see the same potential for massive, reliable blackmail/extortion of government, journalists, business, etc that I do from NSA's systems.

I think the lifetime video of everything that's ever happened between my front door and the street wouldn't make for 15 seconds of good reality TV and if having it helped jail a few package thieves I'd probably be happy with that trade.

Maybe I'm not being imaginative enough.

Back