AMD just slashed the price of its Ryzen Threadripper 1950X to $880

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

The Ryzen Threadripper 1950X is a monster of a processor. In fact, when we reviewed it back in August, it was the fastest desktop CPU we had ever tested. Its only drawback was the $1,000 price tag although even at that level, Threadripper provides performance that is a steal. It beat out the Core i9-7900X in every benchmark and still comes in $150 less than Intel’s offering.

If you passed on picking up a Threadripper chip this summer because it was just out of your budget, now might be the right time to get one. The MSRP for the 1950X just dropped to $879.99. Amazon and Newegg both have them in stock as of writing.

Keep in mind that the 1950X is not ideal for every rig, especially gaming machines. The Threadripper is just what its name implies – a multi-threading monster. It will definitely increase the efficiency of applications that utilize multiple threads and handles multitasking like nobody's business. Rendering and content creation processing time can be shredded with a 1950X, potentially shaving hours off your work time.

However, when it comes to gaming performance, Threadripper is not the optimal choice. Most games do not benefit much from multi-threading. In our tests, the 1950X was outperformed by the Ryzen 7 1800X in almost every game we ran. Weighing in at only $400, the 1800X is unquestionably a better choice for gaming.

That said, if you are looking for a multi-threading powerhouse, the 1950X can’t be beat, especially for under $900.

Permalink to story.

Really like buying 2 1800X's "glued" together. Awesome stuff for those people who need it.

This is pretty awesome for $880.

Would have liked to have seen a dual CPU board come out but guess having an A3 sized motherboard could be an issue.

So I guess they were not over priced after all.hmmm?"sarc" still no sale here.with its broken memory controller.lolz .I would still rather buy that which I can load all slots with lots of fast memory and not worry about it not overclocking to it's rated speed.I haven't seen the memory bandwidth benchmarks yet with the board loaded and defaulted to w/e it defaults to.
Sorry too all that paid full price in only a few months.never saw this coming.
Good thing AMD just show profit ,after the last 3 years suckin on a dry tit.
Now giving away that nice packaging for free.

Last edited:
I prefer to waste my money on Intel. Sorry AMD you're still irrelevant to me.
Buying Intel CPU's aren't a waste. It's a personal choice. AMD offers better value at many levels. That's really not a good reason, for people that can afford an Intel CPU, to buy AMD. But, it's excellent justification for people on a budget. Our shop stopped using AMD processors in custom computers a couple of years back when the Pentium series became a better low end value for cost/performance. We still recommend Intel CPU's. But, we will no longer try to convince someone set on getting an AMD system from doing so.

Really like buying 2 1800X's "glued" together. Awesome stuff for those people who need it.
You really have no clue what you are talking about research just a little bit and you will see this is closer relatgedto their server chips then the 1800 but trolls don't like to read just hypothesize.

It only gets more tempting now. I have no need for a chip that big, but the want is there.....
You really have no clue what you are talking about research just a little bit and you will see this is closer relatgedto their server chips then the 1800 but trolls don't like to read just hypothesize.
Calm down there bud. The epyc chips are kinda like buying four 1800s glued together.

notice, for instance, that Sarcasm did not say anything negative about AMD's chip.

Perhaps try reading next time, or go back to worshiping your Athlon 64. Let the adults do the talking.

I prefer to waste my money on Intel. Sorry AMD you're still irrelevant to me.
Buying Intel CPU's aren't a waste. It's a personal choice. AMD offers better value at many levels. That's really not a good reason, for people that can afford an Intel CPU, to buy AMD. But, it's excellent justification for people on a budget. Our shop stopped using AMD processors in custom computers a couple of years back when the Pentium series became a better low end value for cost/performance. We still recommend Intel CPU's. But, we will no longer try to convince someone set on getting an AMD system from doing so.

Surely you're missing out on customers that would benefit from AMD's Ryzen line?

Either TR isnt selling as well as AMD would like, or.....
TR has been outselling Intel's new HEDT platform so that's not it. They are most likely trying to put the hurt on Intel where they can. If production got better and cheaper (which we know tends to happen with new architectures) then it's normal to cut prices when you have competition, something which people seem to have forgotten.

I'm still hearing people calling it "overpriced" even though even at 1000$ it was both better and cheaper than what Intel could offer.

I also like how many are calling it "broken" when they have never touched a Threadripper system let alone use one for work :D

Last edited:
They made a boatload of cash gouging.their loyal fan base.with their broken arc.now that they can show investors that they made a profit.they can cut.and still turn a profit.I bet Steve is happy that he didn't pay cash for his TR.

4 1800's?,they should have perforated the Glue/stitching.with a snap,snap,and another snap.you got 4 procs get 4 b350 boards and a kit of 4 x 16 gig sticks of ram.1 for each. You got a setup for every room in the house.
don't bother trying to fully populate the boards,we know how that goes.heavy on the sarc.this morning.booze or drugs not necessary.
I seriously think some fanbois would defend AMD to the DEATH! Regardless.like they been defending bulldozer ,excavator,etc.keep the faith!

Last edited:
How can production get better or cheaper,? They are using the same process since day 1 of TR.
Not hurting intel,but they have intels attention.
Not so overpriced anymore!
maybe intel will do some serious cuts now as well.consumer wins here!
Brand loyalty is a dysfunction.

Last edited:
Don't feed the troll.

It wasn't meant to be a direct troll :)

I loved AMD back during the dual core era of CPUs, but in my recent builds I've focused 100% on gaming and unfortunately AMD has failed to produce chips that compete well with Intels chips. I've built 2 Ryzen systems this year for friends so I'm not a complete hater! :D

Either TR isnt selling as well as AMD would like, or.....
TR has been outselling Intel's new HEDT platform so that's not it. They are most likely trying to put the hurt on Intel where they can. If production got better and cheaper (which we know tends to happen with new architectures) then it's normal to cut prices when you have competition, something which people seem to have forgotten.

I'm still hearing people calling it "overpriced" even though even at 1000$ it was both better and cheaper than what Intel could offer.

I also like how many are calling it "broken" when they have never touched a Threadripper system let alone use one for work :D
If they are really outselling Skylake X, why would they drop the price? That makes no sense. Unless Intel's 8th gen has them worried about losing sales to the mainstream platform, then it makes more sense. Or possibly all the gamers who bought TR are disappointed, and flooding the market with used TR parts? TR is great for those who need the threads, but I suspect many buyers didn't need or use the threads, and are regretting jumping on TR for brand loyalty reasons.

That's a lot of fanbois these 13 people.
Not really.but for a single post .its a few.
Where is the marketing that AMD put out stating that buying TR you can use X memory but if you populate all slots it defaults to Y speeds .had to find that out the hard way.
smart people learn from their mistakes.I learn from others mistakes when ever there is a lesson to be learned.steves review was revealing to say the least.
Spin it any way ya like .the memory controller is broken.ie: Does not work as it should.
Was not disclosed either.which makes it deceitful.
I wonder just how many Gamers,workstation/server user that bought in.now regret the purchase after finding out about the memory controller issue.I would have definitely regretted the purchase.and returned the kit.

Last edited:
It wasn't meant to be a direct troll :)

I loved AMD back during the dual core era of CPUs, but in my recent builds I've focused 100% on gaming and unfortunately AMD has failed to produce chips that compete well with Intels chips. I've built 2 Ryzen systems this year for friends so I'm not a complete hater! :D

Haha, good to know that you just don't drop the bomb and leave. Each one is entitled to their opinion and have their own reasons, it just was so brief without further elaboration that seemed like the usual case of trolling. I yet have to build a system with Ryzen myself and kind of agree that Coffee Lake changes the landscape, still I see chips like the i5 7400 which seem like a great value chip for gaming, compared to Ryzen 3 & 5; so I can see your point, but we don't need any more aggressive brand fanboyist comments (not necessarily that you are, but the comments).

If they are really outselling Skylake X, why would they drop the price? That makes no sense. Unless Intel's 8th gen has them worried about losing sales to the mainstream platform, then it makes more sense. Or possibly all the gamers who bought TR are disappointed, and flooding the market with used TR parts? TR is great for those who need the threads, but I suspect many buyers didn't need or use the threads, and are regretting jumping on TR for brand loyalty reasons.
Volume of sales is very important, just as much as the profit/CPU. If they can make a bigger profit by selling more cheaper products, now that their stocks are easier to supplement (more mature platform and production, then that's the correct way to do it. And gaining market share is just as important as making a profit for AMD since it attracts software developers and business partners.

Seriously, it's like you guys know nothing about simple economics. Did the many years with just Intel on the market lower your interest in learning about these things?

And the whole "they are regretting" is just you speaking without any proof.

Back