AMD prepping Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition to compete with Kepler

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Sources say that AMD is keen on keeping pace with Nvidia’s recently released Kepler-based 680 GPU in the high-end graphics market with plans to introduce a higher-performance version of their Radeon HD 7970 graphics card. The new card will be called the Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition and as the name suggests, we can expect to see a card clocked at 1GHz, up from the reference design of 925MHz.

Aftermarket vendors already offer 7970 cards up to 1,050MHz but these don’t fall within AMD’s reference specification. By making a 1GHz card official, AMD could once again proclaim to have the fastest single core GPU available (at least, in some tests).

AMD is able to increase the clock speed officially due to improved silicon yields coming through the pipeline. The chip maker says that it now requires much less voltage to run a 7970 at 925MHz than it used to. In fact, they even claim that current yields are able to hit 1,250MHz with little effort. One has to wonder, then, why they are only clocking up to 1GHz if this is true. Perhaps they are planning to release even faster cards down the line?

In our own review of the Radeon HD 7970 late last year, Steven was able to push his sample up to 1,055MHz and 1,450MHz on the memory side. This resulted in an average boost of around 4fps at 2,560 x 1,600 in most games tested.

No word yet on when AMD might make the GHz Edition cards available for purchase.

Permalink to story.

On the one hand, it's really nice to see AMD reaching for the top spot again... but on the other hand I'm somewhat annoyed with this type of marketing. I already bought a ASUS 7970 DirectCU II TOP (1Ghz) graphics card, assuming this would pretty much be the top of the line offering in the Single-GPU segment from AMD. I'd say that's a fair assumption. That card cost me a lot of money. Hell, I've been planning to buy a second one for a CrossFireX setup, considering it's for my triple-monitor Eyefinity rig. And now, all of a sudden, there's yet another inch to gain by buying the "new" 7970 Ghz edition! If they start selling 7970's clocked at 1250Mhz, I'm gonna throw a fit! And then I'm gonna buy one. Potentially two. :p

And now, all of a sudden, there's yet another inch to gain by buying the "new" 7970 Ghz edition!

It's been four months since the 7970 launch, not really all of a sudden. What would you have them do with the improved yields?

@ okrings: Selling a 7970 to buy one of these new GHz versions is a terrible idea You already have a Asus 7970. From the results we have seen and as Shawn mentioned in the review, taking the clocks up didn't make a huge performance difference at 1600p anyways.

Your best bet is to CrossfireX your current 7970.
AMD is just trying to avoid Nvidia being able to claim the fastest single GPU crown for a long period of time again.

And Techspot, where is the dual GPU Vs triple GPU Vs Quad GPU comparison!
I will donate money for the cause!

Not just numbers too we need reliability and glitch reports as well :) .

I don't understand why this would upset you at all. Do you expect them the get dethroned and then not try to do anything about it? Is the fact that they are releasing something faster making your already purchased card any slower? You knew what you were getting when you bought it - it's not any different now than it was back then. Whenever you buy cutting edge you've gotta take into account that when it reaches your hands it's no longer cutting edge.

i pushed my HD 7950 up to 1200core and 1600mem stress test stable. going from 1100mhz to 1200mhz requires A LOT more voltage tho. seems they figured out the voltage leak.

GHz Edition is a joke made for jokers.

Proof:
In our own review of the Radeon HD 7970 late last year, Steven was able to push his sample up to 1,055MHz and 1,450MHz on the memory side. This resulted in an average boost of around 4fps at 2,560 x 1,600 in most games tested.

AMD will need a lot more than 4fps to "take back the performance crown", and lower voltage isn't going to make that same 1.0555MHz any faster. If you believe that, then you must have been that kid in public school that thought a ton of bricks weighed more than a ton of feathers.

performance increase varies from game to game. in battlefield 3, stock 810mhz vs 1200mhz overclock is like going from 32fps to 42fps in 2560X1440 with full 4XAA enabled. some games' gain is smaller, while others are even larger. i know this because i ran my card at both speeds across 15 different modern popular games.

Its an 8% clock increase so at best expect 8% more performance.

Our overclock of 1055MHz provided between 10 - 12% more performance based on the three games that we tested at 2560x1600 and that was a 14% overclock.

I should point out that an 8% increase for the 7970 at 2560x1600 would be enough to match and even beat the GTX 680.

Hehe... well when you're already below 60 fps an additional 4 fps can make quite a bit of difference to the perception of smoothness. At the very least it's a 7%+ improvement.

Hehe... well when you're already below 60 fps an additional 4 fps can make quite a bit of difference to the perception of smoothness. At the very least it's a 7%+ improvement.

Same could be said for high end multi GPU setups @ 1920x1080 resolutions, but everyone and their mother seems to be telling everyone to not waste their time and money, and instead get a 2560x1600 display.

really, ghz edition?

it's better if amd named the new amd 7970 as amd 7975 or any other number higher than 7970.

really, ghz edition?

it's better if amd named the new amd 7970 as amd 7975 or any other number higher than 7970.

Really? Its a factory overclock. If you were going to change the name it would have to be 7970.1 ;)

Back