AMD quietly drops Radeon HD 7990 price to $700

Scorpus

Staff member

It appears AMD has quitely dropped the price of their high-end Radeon HD 7990 graphics card to $700, cutting $300 off the $999 launch price. While this is still out of the price range of many gamers, the dual-GPU card becomes a much better deal up against offerings from Nvidia.

As discovered by The Tech Report, the AMD Radeon HD 7990 is selling for as low as $700 on Newegg; XFX's model is currently $699 after a $30 mail-in rebate. Other vendors are selling their cards for $730-$780, listing "special savings" as a "limited offer". The price cuts aren't just at Newegg. On Amazon some 7990s have also received the discount and are selling for as low as $730, although some cards remain at their original $999 price.

When put up against Nvidia's dual-GPU offering, the GTX 690, the AMD Radeon HD 7990 has the same or better performance in games but now has a significant advantage in price. The GTX 690 is selling for $999 as is its single-GPU brother, the GTX Titan, meaning you can grab the 7990 for up to $300 less.

To sweeten the deal, the AMD Radeon HD 7990 also comes with eight free games as part of the company's 'Never Settle' promotion: BioShock Infinite, Crysis 3, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Far Cry 3, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, Hitman Absolution, Sleeping Dogs, and Tomb Raider. After factoring in all the free games and the slashed price, the 7990 is an excellent buy if you're in the market for a powerful dual-GPU graphics card.

Permalink to story.

I wonder if they're trying to clear out the inventory before releasing a new card. Perhaps we'll see a new $999 AMD card in the next couple months.

New driver, new price and tons of free games. AMD sure is working hard this summer.
I smell new cards by the end of the year. They are launching them because of the free publicity they will get around the time the new gen consoles will start selling. What we know for sure is that the new gen APU's will launch this year with a pretty big increase in GPU performance.

I wonder if they're trying to clear out the inventory before releasing a new card. Perhaps we'll see a new $999 AMD card in the next couple months.

That's possibly the case. Also it's easier to slash a price, and make back profits while slotting yourself in a lower budget bracket. Clearly the 7990 is a great card I'm sure, but it's possibly having issues competing on that pricing bracket. I obviously don't know how the 7990 compares to the other cards.

Guess I've always favored one over the other, with the few cards I ever purchased. Hoping it's new price point, will bring in more buyers. But if they are looking to slot in a new card to that bracket, I'm wondering what it would be and how it would compare.

More like nobody has any money to buy this stuff
People certainly do. Because if $1000 GPUs didn't sell, AMD and Nvidia wouldn't be selling them at all.

I recently picked up a GTX 770 for $500 after tax and shipping. I could have saved up a bit longer for a $1000 card but I just didn't want to put that much into the GPU because the 770 can fulfill my needs satisfactorily, so I didn't really see the purpose.

It's not really a matter of being rich either, I'm certainly not rich, I work minimum wage in Canada and pay all my own bills. You just have to know good money management practices and have patience to save up. :D

This is what happens when a company runs short of money, brains and balls. They haven't created anything new since HD 7x series and went for re-branding it as HD 8x line, thinking the sheep will swallow it as it is.

That sheep approach backfired at them, as NVidia 7x products kicked AMD off the premium product segment. The sales on every top product dropped, as most of enthusiasts opted for a product from NVidia, myself included.

As the new disastrous sale figures started pouring in, the only way AMD could try to revive it is by a move like this. It is an act of desperation by AMD, one of so many. The last big one when they realized they were no longer in competition with Intel for top processors and had to drop prices accordingly, been there ever since.

Their HD 8x line is done for, has been for 3 month now in fact. And as someone mentioned 8990 for an update - please, this joke is just so dumb, as anyone who thinks that 8990 can make any difference.

AMD may have a fighting chance again when they ready HD 9x product series, but from what I hear, it is still miles away.

Congrats, AMD, another step down the drain. How come you are still alive? Oh yeah, I remember now - the PS4 and XBox deals, nice last straw grasp...

I would bet on AMD clearing inventory, but to be honest AMD hasn't had any problem beating nvidia in the price vs. performance area for a while.

This is what happens when a company runs short of money, brains and balls. They haven't created anything new since HD 7x series and went for re-branding it as HD 8x line, thinking the sheep will swallow it as it is.

That sheep approach backfired at them, as NVidia 7x products kicked AMD off the premium product segment. The sales on every top product dropped, as most of enthusiasts opted for a product from NVidia, myself included.

As the new disastrous sale figures started pouring in, the only way AMD could try to revive it is by a move like this. It is an act of desperation by AMD, one of so many. The last big one when they realized they were no longer in competition with Intel for top processors and had to drop prices accordingly, been there ever since.

Their HD 8x line is done for, has been for 3 month now in fact. And as someone mentioned 8990 for an update - please, this joke is just so dumb, as anyone who thinks that 8990 can make any difference.

AMD may have a fighting chance again when they ready HD 9x product series, but from what I hear, it is still miles away.

Congrats, AMD, another step down the drain. How come you are still alive? Oh yeah, I remember now - the PS4 and XBox deals, nice last straw grasp...

Wow dude, that is not true on any ground, even if you want to argue the fact is the 7990 is the single fastest Card available (The Titan is the fastest Single GPU, but also shows because of cost). The 7990 was not selling well due to the fact you could buy 2 HD 7970's for cheaper and most people opted for that over the late to the game dual GPU solution. Nvidia is charging abnormally high prices for both their top of the line cards right now (The Titan and 780) and its turning the market in a sad direction of prices becoming unreachable for most people in this day and age and its showing in the sales department. All other versions of the GTX cards are just essentially rebranded 6 series cards as well.

AMD dropping the price of the 7990 will bump its sales and help it. The fact you can get the fastest Single Card on the market at 50 bucks more than the reference 780 and get roughly 200 bucks in games bundled in makes that card a steal of a deal honestly. Im actually now considering one just to get all the games with it (Actually 2).

The HD 8xxx series will be released when the time is right, AMD said they wanted to focus on the 7XXX line instead and update drivers and improve over all performance on the cards rather than release new cards and at a cheaper price where as NVidia said bring out the next line and raise the prices 150 dollars. So which company is the better option?

You do know that the 8xxx series is just a rebrand because of the the OEMs? They were forced to release something. The 9xxx series will debut latter this year (they say it might be October) with the new GCN2.0, along side new APU's and the next gen consoles.
It's one hell of a good year for AMD and you can't deny that.

You do know that the 8xxx series is just a rebrand because of the the OEMs? They were forced to release something. The 9xxx series will debut latter this year (they say it might be October) with the new GCN2.0, along side new APU's and the next gen consoles.

^This guy knows his stuff

Pretty harsh...but an accurate assessment if you factor in AMD's original decision not to roll the dice with TSMC's 28nm HP process. Going with HPL got the HD 7000 series into production (and the public spotlight) faster, but gave AMD less wiggle room for incrementally advancing the design specification and performance
Fact. Borne out by Nvidia's Q2 financials that came out today. While Tegra still proves to be a bit of a basket-case (hence the move to licencing IP), the GPU division picked up 9% in revenue...9% they must have picked up from their competitor in what is basically a flat market.
MgQxp3T.jpg

It's always been AMD's way to slash prices when the competition applies the pressure. Probably indicative of the level of imagination of the board of directors. They would likely have been better served investing more time and energy in software R&D - especially spending some time listening to the user base (inc. comparative testing against their rivals products) in gaming, and providing financial impetus to OpenCL applications. Other companies spend their way out of trouble, AMD's way is to slash R&D, sell their assets, and reduce their workforce- which presents a favourable short term spreadsheet, at the expense of long term viability.

As far as the HD 7990 is concerned, its price was always way too high for what it is. It's only real competition was the GTX 690, which had sold to those that wanted it before the 7990 arrived. Other than that, the HD 7990 was competing against other AMD products. Quadfire with the cards is a bust, and two 7970 GHz Editions can be had for $600 (or three for $900)...kind of makes a $1000 dual 7970 card redundant.
That should probably be the HD 9990. The HD 8990 is an OEM branded 7990.
But the powerpoint presentation is in September !
Either way, it arrives this year using existing 28nm which means a big GPU (+ commensurate price tag) if AMD want to go toe-to-toe with the GTX 780 / Titan / Titan Ultra, or late Q1 next year if its on 20nm.

40% drop in share price since this time last year tells me that many investors may share my view on this. Either way, re-branding products like that is a shameful practice and too inept for such a big company.

Something tells me that VitalyT doesn't know very much at all.

Dave

Dave

For one thing I know is when someone comes just criticizing others without saying anything useful on the subject, is when they don't know anything about it.

Check definition for Trolling, Dave, you might find your picture there ;)

Wow, the only thing keeping the 780 up is the power consumption and just being an nVidia. You basically get this 7990 for $500 if you factor in the free games.

Will GCN 2.0 be 22nm? Or just a revision of 28nm? Also Puiu, AMD is unveiling the new GPUs on Sept 25 in Hawaii (hence, the Hawaii codename xD): http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...h-gpu-codenamed-hawaii-in-hawaii-sept-25.aspx.

I want to see how that will work out. I feel like AMD can easily snag the crown here. The leaked benchmarks show that it is faster than the Titan. It all comes down to price. But keep in mind, AMD will also bundle games like BF4 with the new GPUs.

I want to see how that will work out. I feel like AMD can easily snag the crown here. The leaked benchmarks show that it is faster than the Titan.
You mean this steaming pile of excrement ?
Posted by "getwinder", publisher of spurious information since forever. Remember the supposed 2304 core Tahiti ? the Toxic ZX and Atomic RX ? Yup, those (along with enough assorted tripe to keep a northern coal town happy for a year) were getwinder.

Just for the record, I don't think a company like Sapphire would refer to the reference SKU as "Da Original"
Wow, the only thing keeping the 780 up is the power consumption and just being an nVidia.
Nope. The thing keeping the 780 "up" is the fact that it is a single GPU, and when overclocked is basically the fastest single GPU card around. Dual GPU cards require a level of faith in the company to keep/get the drivers up to par. Single GPU cards, not so much.
You basically get this 7990 for $500 if you factor in the free games.
Not really. The games are available for cents on the dollar. Plenty of vendors out there (wholesalers, compute buyers) are happy to sell the games for $5-10 each.

For one thing I know is when someone comes just criticizing others without saying anything useful on the subject, is when they don't know anything about it.

just try not to feed the troll :p

Dave

Are you sure you want to say I am the one not posting anything useful?
Just a few examples. The comment you made about AMD stock. I am a AMD and Intel stock holder. Lots of each. The reason AMD stocks fell recently was because since last summer many of us have thought maybe they were putting to much effort into the consoles and not into the consumer\OEM PC market.
That has always been their bread and butter so to speak.

Next, winning contracts from the top console makers in the world is hardly grasping at the last straw.
Saying that is not just a reach. Its a damn reach. I can assure you that nvidia would love to be in AMD's shoes in that arena.

And of course the 8000 series comments. You didn't know that they were not consumer parts.

So to be clear I wasn't saying you were stupid or anything like that. Just that you are really not doing any research to base your comments on.

Dave

Still no price movement in Australia though, don't really see anyone here paying any attention to it
Same situation across the ditch. Cheapest HD 7990 is $NZ 1643 ($US 1314), while the lowest priced (quality) 7970 GE can be had for $NZ 599 ($US479). If there were no U.S. freight forwarding, or stores that ship internationally I'm certain the high-end enthusiasts would all emigrate.
Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. I know a guy who works in an electronics retail store (Harvey Norman) and has contacts to some of the big AU PC-part suppliers. He thought he got a hell of a deal to get the Titan for $1000....

Back