AMD reportedly cuts Radeon R9 Nano price to $499

Scorpus

Staff member

AMD has reportedly announced a pretty significant price cut for the Radeon R9 Nano, bringing the small form factor graphics card down from its launch price of $649 to just $499.

This 23 percent price cut makes the R9 Nano a much more compelling option against the current GPU competition. In our review of the graphics card, we found the R9 Nano was around six percent faster than Nvidia's GeForce GTX 980 at 1600p, and around 12 percent faster at 4K, but at $649 it was simply too hard to recommend for those wanting to get the best performance for their money.

At its new price, the R9 Nano will compete directly with the GTX 980, which currently retails for around $500, from a price perspective. Considering the Nano is more powerful and comes in a much smaller package, AMD's offering is a clear winner pretty much across the board.

The price change also brings the Nano into the correct price bracket in AMD's line-up, below both the R9 Fury (slighty faster than the Nano at $530) and the R9 Fury X (faster than the Nano at $650). The Radeon R9 390X still presents decent value at $400 – the R9 Nano is around ten percent faster yet costs 25 percent more – though its not surprising to see high-performance cards coming at a premium.

It should be noted that these price changes haven't come into effect just yet, and are merely suggested retail prices, so some retailers and board partners may not choose to sell their Nanos at this price. However if you're after a $500 card, check back over the coming weeks and you may be able to snag a Nano for its new and attractive price.

Permalink to story.

Already bought 980 as there was no competitors at the time. Hope amd still makes graphics cards when I make my next computer and that they are priced better. Nano would have been perfect as the 980 is huge and needed bit of tinkering on case to get good air flow.

Who in their right mind would shell out $500 for a Nano now, when the next generation's right around the corner ? Also, its lack of HDMI 2.0 doesn't help, with 4k TV sets becoming more and more affordable...

It would have been the right price from the get go, but I'm afraid AMD has missed that train.

Who in their right mind would shell out $500 for a Nano now, when the next generation's right around the corner ? Also, its lack of HDMI 2.0 doesn't help, with 4k TV sets becoming more and more affordable...

It would have been the right price from the get go, but I'm afraid AMD has missed that train.
By right around the corner you mean easily 5 months and later? There's still time to push units, and usually "better late than never" applies regardless.

I have already convinced myself to pine for Nvidia's next gen cards, so much so as to use a Radeon 7970 that a friend let me borrow in my new build in the interim.

Had this card launched at this price it would have sold much MUCH better, the only reason I see AMD changing the price now is due to a rather large supply of the cards that are not selling and need to be liquidated before the next gen eclipses them entirely. AMD had hopes that making the card smaller would allow for a price premium, unfortunately there are too many SFF cases that support full sized GPUs now. Again, had AMD come out with a card of this design, say 5 years when the SFF market was becoming popular the price could have been justifiable. Today, the same thing can not be said sadly for AMD.

By right around the corner you mean easily 5 months and later? There's still time to push units, and usually "better late than never" applies regardless.
I have already convinced myself to pine for Nvidia's next gen cards, so much so as to use a Radeon 7970 that a friend let me borrow in my new build in the interim.
Maybe this will whet your appetite
Nvidia GP 104 seemingly spotted in transit for test/verification/validation a couple of weeks ago, while Nvidia's big chip (GP 100) was seen in transit last September. The latter very likely won't be seen as a GeForce branded card until AMD's next flagship GPU arrives ( also seen in transit in November).

So they finally stopped having problems with supply. I think the HBM memory supply has stabilised and it's cheaper to use. If so, then this is really good news since the next gen cards might start using it more.

We might not see new high end cards from AMD this year so I'm expecting them to drop the prices on the other Fury cards too in the near future.
What I'm hoping is for AMD to release 8GB versions of the current fury cards at the current price points and sell the 4GB ones for less money. (maybe a Fury X with 8GB HBM2 will be able to compete or surpass the more expensive 980 Ti OC cards)

Maybe this will whet your appetite
Nvidia GP 104 seemingly spotted in transit for test/verification/validation a couple of weeks ago, while Nvidia's big chip (GP 100) was seen in transit last September. The latter very likely won't be seen as a GeForce branded card until AMD's next flagship GPU arrives ( also seen in transit in November).
yeah I saw those two articles earlier (well, an English version of the first), but I don't know how that translates to actual release dates. All I know is when I see any manufacturer mention a release date by quarter, I always assume the end of it or the beginning of the next. That way if it comes out sooner then I'll be pleasantly surprised, even my wallet will cry.

Is that an Intel stock cooler on that board, alongside the Radeon GPU and RAM. Hahaha

Yeah, it's probably not AMD's photo. But funny none the less!

It's crazy how things have grown smaller in the past few years but retain the full performance of those larger ATX form factors. I typically put a GPU on my motherboards and no other cards. This little computer is pretty much that design that I'm building for my next computer to get me through 5+ years.

yeah I saw those two articles earlier (well, an English version of the first), but I don't know how that translates to actual release dates. All I know is when I see any manufacturer mention a release date by quarter, I always assume the end of it or the beginning of the next. That way if it comes out sooner then I'll be pleasantly surprised, even my wallet will cry.
As a general rule, the early sightings on Zauba are "hot lots" - small batch risk volume to ascertain whether the design has flaws (missing interconnects etc) and if it operates within its design parameters. The process might take 6-8 weeks, at which time volume production is commenced. Basically, 6-8 months after the first test parts ship, the finished product is ready for launch/sale. You are probably looking at mid year for both AMD's and Nvidia's consumer offerings. I'd expect GP100 to be at least showcased at GTC 2016 in April, although actual launch will very likely be tied to HBM2 availability.
Is that an Intel stock cooler on that board, alongside the Radeon GPU and RAM. Hahaha
The image is the stock setup from the Nano press deck. The board is an Intel MSI ITX, since there aren't any AMD based ITX systems that wouldn't bottleneck a Nano.

Last edited:
As a general rule, the early sightings on Zauba are "hot lots" - small batch risk volume to ascertain whether the design has flaws (missing interconnects etc) and if it operates within its design parameters. The process might take 6-8 weeks, at which time volume production is commenced. Basically, 6-8 months after the first test parts ship, the finished product is ready for launch/sale. You are probably looking at mid year for both AMD's and Nvidia's consumer offerings. I'd expect GP100 to be at least showcased at GTC 2016 in April, although actual launch will very likely be tied to HBM2 availability.
Ah that's interesting to know, thanks for the info. So that makes me think 5ish month guesstimate is still somewhat accurate... but again that's up to HBM2 yields to hold steady.

Too little, too late. If this were been the launch price I myself would have bought one. At this point I will wait for Pascal / Polaris while using my old GTX 670. I hope they don't fail with Polaris price this way, so that I have to skip that also.

It's more along the lines, AMD is trying to advertise their own products, not aftermarket coolers, had they had a Intel cooler, hahaha, they'd have used it. Notice they stuck their RAM on the board to try and demonstrate how much diversity AMD has in the PC market, just they know they can't compete in the CPU domain anymore evidently... AMD Fan boy butt hurt in three. two. one...

What I'm hoping is for AMD to release 8GB versions of the current fury cards at the current price points and sell the 4GB ones for less money. (maybe a Fury X with 8GB HBM2 will be able to compete or surpass the more expensive 980 Ti OC cards)

Unfortunately double the VRAM doesn't historically result in added performance, however being the first commercially available HBM products I wouldn't feel comfortable saying it will not help, I'd just be skeptical of the performance increases.

Yeah, it's probably not AMD's photo. But funny none the less!

It's crazy how things have grown smaller in the past few years but retain the full performance of those larger ATX form factors. I typically put a GPU on my motherboards and no other cards. This little computer is pretty much that design that I'm building for my next computer to get me through 5+ years.
Some ad exec gets paid for this lol

Back