AMD reportedly prepping two new Ryzen desktop processors for OEMs

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: AMD is reportedly preparing to launch two new Ryzen 5000 series desktop CPUs in the coming weeks, further building out its lineup of Zen 3 chips. Before getting your hopes up, however, there’s one important caveat that you need to be aware of - neither will be available for consumers to purchase directly from retailers.

According to multiple sources on Twitter, the two inbound processors are the Ryzen 7 5800 and the Ryzen 9 5900. Both are alternative versions of their “X” counterparts with identical core counts (eight and 12, respectively), albeit with lower 65W TDPs and likely, reduced clock speeds.

The pair of processors are also expected to be about $50 cheaper than their respective “X” versions, sources note.

The kicker? Both chips are only for OEMs, meaning you won’t be able to buy them directly at retail. Instead, they’ll be installed in pre-built computers from third-party vendors.

This wouldn’t normally be a major concern, but this is 2020, a year when things are anything but normal.

Virtually all of the latest hardware and tech is unattainable at retail due to a combination of factors including limited supply due to production issues stemming from Covid-19, retailers’ unwillingness to carry said products in stores and a sharp increase in the use of automated bots scooping up inventory for scalpers to flip for a profit.

Image credit: KenSoftTH

Permalink to story.

So my local retailer has 5800X for sale. For £540! Whilst at the same time I can get a 10700K for £340 and a £63 cash back on a motherboard (if I buy an MSI one). Looking at the mobos I would go for it would cost me about £120 for Intel (cash back included) and £200 for AMD.

Meaning the Intel 10700K and mobo is £460 and the 5800X and mobo is £740!! Normally I pay more to have the best but the 5800X only edges a 10700K in games at best, it even loses in some cases.

Do I pay this heinous AMD tax or wait for non x parts to become available for retail?

So my local retailer has 5800X for sale. For £540! Whilst at the same time I can get a 10700K for £340 and a £63 cash back on a motherboard (if I buy an MSI one). Looking at the mobos I would go for it would cost me about £120 for Intel (cash back included) and £200 for AMD.

Meaning the Intel 10700K and mobo is £460 and the 5800X and mobo is £740!! Normally I pay more to have the best but the 5800X only edges a 10700K in games at best, it even loses in some cases.

Do I pay this heinous AMD tax or wait for non x parts to become available for retail?
Buy the intel combo, and with the leftover money buy a better GPU. AMD will keep the high tax until Intel releases next gen of CPUs.

Is this a joke or what?

There are whole countries in Europe where you cannot find not even one Ryzen 5k series CPU for sale. Not. One. Processor. For. Sale. In. The. Whole. Country.

And you thought we'd have a shot at buying w/e CPU AMD will launch in the future? Nah. It's gonna be all paper launch like the 5kX series.

Is this a joke or what?

There are whole countries in Europe where you cannot find not even one Ryzen 5k series CPU for sale. Not. One. Processor. For. Sale. In. The. Whole. Country.

And you thought we'd have a shot at buying w/e CPU AMD will launch in the future? Nah. It's gonna be all paper launch like the 5kX series.
AMD has corporate stakeholders that are more important to them than us enthusiasts. If we want to build a machine we can but we have to wait until Dell, Lenovo etc have had their fun. Oh and we have to pay a savage amount for the privilege.

Buy the intel combo, and with the leftover money buy a better GPU. AMD will keep the high tax until Intel releases next gen of CPUs.
Well I’m upgrading, I may just wait. I already have GPU so whilst I do agree £200 extra to a GPU is definitely the way to go, it doesn’t help me so much.

What I may do is get a 10900K, which is also cheaper than a 5800X. But I did have my eye on PCIe4. I even bought a PCIe4 M2 drive last year knowing I’d be upgrading so it would be silly to only get a PCIe3 part.

What bothers me is all summer the 3600 was on sale for £150 and I waited to see if the 5xxx could match Intel. Well it did and holy **** AMD now want a lot more money for it. I should have bought that dam 3600!

Is this a joke or what?

I can buy the 5600x, 5800x and 5950x just fine in Germany and looking at the number of sold CPU @ Mindfactory it‘s anything but a paper launch.

Since prices are still above MSRP (moving downwards) and my 2700x is doing just fine, I am in no rush. 5000 series will eventually get a good bit cheaper next year. But if I wanted, I could.

AMD has corporate stakeholders that are more important to them than us enthusiasts. If we want to build a machine we can but we have to wait until Dell, Lenovo etc have had their fun. Oh and we have to pay a savage amount for the privilege.

Well I’m upgrading, I may just wait. I already have GPU so whilst I do agree £200 extra to a GPU is definitely the way to go, it doesn’t help me so much.

What I may do is get a 10900K, which is also cheaper than a 5800X. But I did have my eye on PCIe4. I even bought a PCIe4 M2 drive last year knowing I’d be upgrading so it would be silly to only get a PCIe3 part.

What bothers me is all summer the 3600 was on sale for £150 and I waited to see if the 5xxx could match Intel. Well it did and holy **** AMD now want a lot more money for it. I should have bought that dam 3600!
Its true OEMs come first for price, but at the same time if AMD hasnt been able to field much, if any, CPU stock for DIY, it doesnt bode well for their ability to field enough for OEMs either. This is what soured many OEMs on AMD during the 64 era, on top of intel's shenanigans, was the simple fact AMD couldnt consistently supply them with chips.

7nm just doesnt have the capacity.

Its true OEMs come first for price, but at the same time if AMD hasnt been able to field much, if any, CPU stock for DIY, it doesnt bode well for their ability to field enough for OEMs either. This is what soured many OEMs on AMD during the 64 era, on top of intel's shenanigans, was the simple fact AMD couldnt consistently supply them with chips.

7nm just doesnt have the capacity.
Indeed.All to easy to blame the bots and scalpers for their part in the shortage of hardware when looking at the bigger picture.

Let me guess, that retailer is overclockers? I picked up a 5800X just last week for £418 at Scan with a Far Cry 6 game that I was going to buy anyway, I have a Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi, the bios was already updated so 5 minutes job and I now have a CPU 50% faster than my "old" overclocked 2700X.

PS. This is not AMD tax, the shop itself is scalping and you do not need a £200 motherboard for AMD, B550 for £140 will be plenty

Is this a joke or what?

My local hardware chain in Canada has resorted to essentially doing a waitlist where you can request 1 new green/red GPU and one red CPU, and essentially get told when it comes in, you'd better be ready to pay within 24 hrs its going to the next person on the list.

Still for MSRP (once the price has been converted to Canadian rubles), but nothing shows up in their online part of the store, and any new stock that shows up in physical store is bought out in person once noticed using the built in stock tracker on the product page. I watched one shipment of Nvidia 3060TI's tick down from 10+ all the way to sold out in a matter of 25 minutes.

Last edited:
Let me guess, that retailer is overclockers? I picked up a 5800X just last week for £418 at Scan with a Far Cry 6 game that I was going to buy anyway, I have a Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi, the bios was already updated so 5 minutes job and I now have a CPU 50% faster than my "old" overclocked 2700X.

PS. This is not AMD tax, the shop itself is scalping and you do not need a £200 motherboard for AMD, B550 for £140 will be plenty
It is an AMD tax, just like when these retailers were selling Intel chips for heinous amounts. Of course neither Intel or AMD took that money, the retailers do. But the fact is demand is high enough for the part to warrant a higher price. These 5xxx parts are somewhat hyped and now that they have finally after 15 years or so wrestled the gaming crown from Intel the retailers are going to have a field day.

Also please don’t tell me what can meet my needs, you don’t know me. The B550 platform is insufficient as it only has one PCIe4 m2 slot, it also lacks on usb type C, most models only have one port. It might be ok for you but I need X570 or Z490 really (I’m aware Z490 doesn’t have PCIe4 but does have more M2 in general)

This is how it’s going to be with AMD for now. I remember the last time they were top of the charts in 2005 they ramped their prices up hard and fast for their enthusiast parts. I won’t be surprised if they drop a £1000 consumer grade (Ryzen) part at some point, just like they did with the Athlon64 FX parts.

Now what we really need Intel to pull their finger out and give us some competition and lower these very high prices from AMD.

As for me, these CPUs are very difficult to get hold of and a bit too expensive for what they are to interest me, I’m going to wait. I’ve just checked Scan and the only way of getting one of these CPUs is in a bundle, the cheapest starting at £799 for a B550 board and a 5900X.

Is this a joke or what?

I must be lucky then in Romania. there is plenty of stock and the prices aren't that bad.

Those are some ugly prices where you live.

In Romania you can find the 5800x for 445 euro (tax included) and the 10700K for 390 euro (the 5900x is 540 euro).

As for mobos, for a budget build I can get the Gigabyte B550M AORUS ELITE which is about 95 euro and for a mid-range PC the GIGABYTE B550 Gaming X at 120 euro.

The Intel boards aren't better value here (and I don't remember a time they ever were), I guess it depends a lot on the country.

It is an AMD tax, just like when these retailers were selling Intel chips for heinous amounts. Of course neither Intel or AMD took that money, the retailers do. But the fact is demand is high enough for the part to warrant a higher price. These 5xxx parts are somewhat hyped and now that they have finally after 15 years or so wrestled the gaming crown from Intel the retailers are going to have a field day.

Also please don’t tell me what can meet my needs, you don’t know me. The B550 platform is insufficient as it only has one PCIe4 m2 slot, it also lacks on usb type C, most models only have one port. It might be ok for you but I need X570 or Z490 really (I’m aware Z490 doesn’t have PCIe4 but does have more M2 in general)

This is how it’s going to be with AMD for now. I remember the last time they were top of the charts in 2005 they ramped their prices up hard and fast for their enthusiast parts. I won’t be surprised if they drop a £1000 consumer grade (Ryzen) part at some point, just like they did with the Athlon64 FX parts.

Now what we really need Intel to pull their finger out and give us some competition and lower these very high prices from AMD.

As for me, these CPUs are very difficult to get hold of and a bit too expensive for what they are to interest me, I’m going to wait. I’ve just checked Scan and the only way of getting one of these CPUs is in a bundle, the cheapest starting at £799 for a B550 board and a 5900X.
I doubt AMD is going to be able to hit $1000. Rocketlake is looking promising, and if it holds up in real world testing AMD is going to have actual competition again, at least up to 8 cores. Intel is always at their best when AMD is knocking down their door.

Now if only we could buy these things....

I don't use B550 I use X470 but you right I don't know your needs. As to the prices keep checking scan, I was literally on twitter last week and I just saw a post that they have stock, I check the site it was there and I just picked one up at MSRP ( I was originally planning on getting the 5900X) BUT I did see the 10850K selling for £409 on Amazon UK, I mean its probably a better buy if you need to get a motherboard anyway ;)

I doubt AMD is going to be able to hit $1000. Rocketlake is looking promising, and if it holds up in real world testing AMD is going to have actual competition again, at least up to 8 cores. Intel is always at their best when AMD is knocking down their door.

Now if only we could buy these things....

I can see a price drop across the board for AMD CPU's once 11th gen is out BUT Intel can't command £500 for an 8 core CPU for that to happen

I can buy the 5600x, 5800x and 5950x just fine in Germany and looking at the number of sold CPU @ Mindfactory it‘s anything but a paper launch.

Since prices are still above MSRP (moving downwards) and my 2700x is doing just fine, I am in no rush. 5000 series will eventually get a good bit cheaper next year. But if I wanted, I could.
Was looking the same few days ago, 5600X was 50€ above MSRP, now I don't know exactly. Higher models were around 100€ extra, and tho that is not the best deal in the world by any stretch of imagination, it's certainly not the worst.

Was looking the same few days ago, 5600X was 50€ above MSRP, now I don't know exactly. Higher models were around 100€ extra, and tho that is not the best deal in the world by any stretch of imagination, it's certainly not the worst.
The 5600x was €100 over msrp when they first relisted it, now it‘s €40 over @ €339. 5800x is €50 over msrp @ €499. The 5950x appears to be out of stock again.

Got my 2700x @ €150 boxed including shipping and Borderlands 3 after Ryzen 3000 came out, so I‘ll wait for prices quite a bit under msrp to upgrade. Don‘t count on getting a similar deal this time around though.

Rocketlake will certainly offer some competition vs Ryzen.

Single core performance, yes.
8-core performance, maybe.
Hotter than Hell, definitely.

I can't see all this chaos in Dover doing us in the UK any favors.

I'm not waiting on a 5000 series part but I bet if you monitor Scan's status page we'll be seeing more delays.

I can't see all this chaos in Dover doing us in the UK any favors.

I'm not waiting on a 5000 series part but I bet if you monitor Scan's status page we'll be seeing more delays.
Actually they are currently in stock. Above MSRP and saying “low stock” but they are there;

Back