AMD reportedly readying mid-year Kaveri family refresh

Scorpus

Staff member

AMD's officially announced processor line-up for 2015 includes two product categories at this stage: Carizzo, and Carrizo-L. Designed for mid- and low-power laptops, as well as other portable devices, Carizzo won't venture across to desktop-class devices.

This leaves a gap in AMD's product line for this year which, according to the latest reports, will be filled by a new product called 'Godavari'. Rather than engineering an entirely new processor for the desktop APU market, AMD will simply boost the performance of their existing Kaveri APUs through increased clock speeds. This would make Godavari a simple refresh of Kaveri.

One such processor rumored to lead the Godavari line is the A10-8850K, a variant of the A10-7850K with higher clock speeds. Specifically, the Steamroller-based quad-core CPU would see its turbo clock speed raised to 4.1 GHz (from 4.0 GHz), with the GPU also getting a clock speed boost from 720 MHz to 856 MHz.

As this is a basic refresh of the Kaveri line, it's expected that Godavari APUs will be compatible with existing FM2+ motherboards.

With reports of Godavari coming through, we're now getting a clearer picture of what AMD's product stack will look like:

• Carizzo will succeed Beema and some Kaveri mobile products, competing against Broadwell-U in the mid-range mobile market
  • Carizzo-L swaps Excavator CPU cores for Puma+, designed for low-power mobile devices
  • Mullins will continue to be available for ultra-low-power tablets and similar devices
  • Godavari will succeed Kaveri in the budget and mid-range desktop market

Throw in some new ARM-based products, and the only category remaining is high-end desktop. It's unlikely that AMD will again reuse their Piledriver architecture for their FX performance range, so we'll have to wait and see where that product line goes.

Permalink to story.

I have APU A8 (4 cores for CPU / 4 cores for GPU) and A4 2 cores for CPU and 2 cores for GPU) not bad at all.

A want a new FX 6/8 core CPU for desktop from AMD so much.
FX is dead, Fm2+ and AM1 are the only supported platforms for 2015.

Wait, I was looking at getting the FX6300 with my Christmas Amazon card... But thought I would wait until the next wave would come out. So, you're telling me that FX wont be upgrading..? I don't think I like these APUs... I mean, how are they better than the AM3+ socket if I already have a dedicated GPU?

A want a new FX 6/8 core CPU for desktop from AMD so much.
FX is dead, Fm2+ and AM1 are the only supported platforms for 2015.

Wait, I was looking at getting the FX6300 with my Christmas Amazon card... But thought I would wait until the next wave would come out. So, you're telling me that FX wont be upgrading..? I don't think I like these APUs... I mean, how are they better than the AM3+ socket if I already have a dedicated GPU?

I'm an FX6300 owner, and I would go for an i5. More raw power, you also have great mobos for ITX builds if that might be your thing.

All in all these Godveri APUs (such a stupid name though), would basically be what Richland was to Trinity.

All in all these Godveri APUs (such a stupid name though), would basically be what Richland was to Trinity.

yeah but trinity to richland had a bigger mhz bump on the cpu. The big difference is that GPU clock change 130mhz should keep the A10s competing with broadwell still, I have seen a few screen shots of a10-7850ks running the internal GPU at around 900mhz so there is still more headroom above the boot potentially.
I'm an FX6300 owner, and I would go for an i5. More raw power, you also have great mobos for ITX builds if that might be your thing.

Well the best deal I found online for 4670k was $225 and a FX8320 can be had for $130, the FX can pull ahead in multi-threaded work loads still and can rival i7's in those workloads. If your gaming focused then the i5 will get ya the extra 5-10 FPS you might be craving. I cough my 8320 for $105 on black friday, nothing intel has in that price range can really come close to the performance I get beyond just gaming. The FX6300 is price competitive with i3's and imo its a much better buy if your down in the low $100 market, anyone building a system they plan on upgrading the cpu in though in the next year after building going the intel route, opens more doors.

Hi. Have you heard of Athlon CPU ? It's A10-7850k without the integral graphic, so it has more overclocking potential and less heating. On PassMark, it has the highest single-thread performance out of all AMD cpu-s (excluding power hungry monsters - FX 9000 line, which beat it slightly). It's even cheaper than FX-6300 and stronger if you are not using all 6 cores on FX. If you are just a gamer, that is the CPU for you.

It's called Athlon x4 860k, it goes on the newest FM2+ socket and maybe there is hope, that an Athlon refresh will come out to this socket too. Just hook it up with some 2400Mhz memory and you are golden.

Hi. Have you heard of Athlon CPU ? It's A10-7850k without the integral graphic, so it has more overclocking potential and less heating. On PassMark, it has the highest single-thread performance out of all AMD cpu-s (excluding power hungry monsters - FX 9000 line, which beat it slightly). It's even cheaper than FX-6300 and stronger if you are not using all 6 cores on FX. If you are just a gamer, that is the CPU for you.

It's called Athlon x4 860k, it goes on the newest FM2+ socket and maybe there is hope, that an Athlon refresh will come out to this socket too. Just hook it up with some 2400Mhz memory and you are golden.
Problem with the 860k was and still is the motherboards, none of the FM2+ boards that were out when it shipped worked with the chip. Also atm Intel has greater growth potential on the 1150 platform if you go with the pentium G3258 you could move into a i5 or i7 down the road and see huge leaps in performance. A max overclocked 860k usually bests most i3's but can't hold a candle to a i5. If I decide to update my secondary tower this year though it will prob be a FM2+ chip I can only hope AMD released a 6 core chip at least to the platform because I would need the extra cores for things outside gaming.

Athlon CPUs are great CPUs for the money, but let's not fantasize what they can actually do. They are not as fast as you think they are simply because they lack L3 cache, which a lot of applications and especially games love.

An FX 4300 will be faster than an Athlon, clock for clock, simply because of the 6 (was it 8 ?) MB of L3 cache on the FX.

Back