AMD reveals more FSR 2.0 tech details: coming to Nvidia cards and Xbox

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: AMD lifted the lid on its next generation of upscaling technology at GDC 2022. As we reported last week, FSR 2.0 will be a temporal upscaling solution, which differs significantly from FSR 1.0, a spatial solution. That makes it closer to Nvidia's DLSS and Intel's upcoming Xess solutions and should offer improved visual fidelity compared to FSR 1.0.

After talking about the new version of its FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) last week, AMD has now revealed more details on FSR 2.0, including its support for the Xbox consoles and Nvidia graphics cards.

In an extensive post detailing FSR 2.0, AMD revealed that the technology would be fully supported on the Xbox and available in Xbox Game Development Kits for implementation in games. The original version was used in a handful of Xbox titles, including the Myst remake.

As FSR 2.0 doesn't rely on machine learning, it works on a range of graphics cards, though AMD notes that it will be more demanding than a spatial upscaling solution like FSR 1.0, meaning you'll need a beefy GPU to get the most out of it—especially when upscaling to 4K. AMD provided a list of recommendations that includes both its Radeon cards and those from rival Nvidia.

Another change in FSR 2.0 is that it offers different quality modes for getting the balance between image and performance just right. The highest setting is now Quality mode, alongside Balanced and Performance. There's also one optional mode, Ultra Performance, for developers to use if they desire.

AMD also broke down each mode's details, including the scale factor and the input/output resolutions.

FSR 2.0 is incredibly fast, with all of AMD's various setup and resolution examples coming in at under 1.5ms for the time it takes to perform its magic.

FSR Quality Mode (Includes auto-exposure, no sharpening).

FSR 2.0 Performance Mode (Includes auto-exposure, no sharpening).

Another difference between FSR 2.0 and FSR 1.0 is that the former does require implementation by game developers. It can take as little as a few days to add to a title that already has DLSS, and there will be a plugin for games running on Unreal Engine 4 and Unreal Engine 5.

It will be easier to implement FSR 2.0 in games that already have a temporal upscaling rendering path. Any titles that don't have motion vectors or support for decoupled display and render resolutions could require four or more weeks of work to add FSR 2.0.

AMD has confirmed that FSR 2.0 will debut in Deathloop as soon as the tech is ready and Forspoken, which launches in October. Both games are PS5 and PC exclusives.

Permalink to story.

Would love an option on console to have 60fps with an FSR upscale rather than just 1080p@60.

Console is become more option based, even since FPS boost kicked in ive been using my Xbox more although only on 60fps games

FSR 2.0 will support Pascal cards from the onset.

In the end, AMD will force the Leatherman to come up with a similar to FSR system that supports Pascal cards esp in view of the fact that 71% of gamers are using GTX GPUs still.

Looking forward to trying (if it gets patched in, that is) Quality mode 1440p to 2160p upscale in CP 2077.

My 3080 can just about run it maxed out with RT @60fps at 1440p & DLSS set to Performance so will be interesting to see what it can do and how FPS compare.

I don't really like running it @1440p as I have a 4K monitor, but running it at 4K & DLSS Performance means a 30fps lock, unfortunately.

Stats looks impressive will be interesting how good the image quality is. Sounds like it has less overhead than DLSS, DLSS adds quite a bit of extra latency render time but this could be due to the data having to be passed from tensor to SM, while FSR 2.0 does all its calculations on the shaders? I imagine this will benefit RDNA2 due to infinity cache.

In the end, AMD will force the Leatherman to come up with a similar to FSR system that supports Pascal
Oh sweet summer child, the nvdrones would never demand things like that from their dear leader. The must give him all their moneis.

On another note, I am waiting for those nvdrones to tell me where or how this FSR release is still worse than DLSS 0.1 or something like that.

My 3080 can just about run it maxed out with RT @60fps at 1440p & DLSS set to Performance so will be interesting to see what it can do and how FPS compare.

Running game maxed and 1440p DLSS performance is dumb thing

I would rather play it on DLSS quality mode and sacrifice few unimportant settings. One of the Digital Foundry videos had optimized setting. There is a lot of setting that hurts performance but barely make any difference in quality

At 4K, it is different story though. From what I have seen it is harder to see difference between performance and quality mode when play at 4K... But 1440p, I would use quality mode or at least balanced mode

Why would you use this for 1080p? seems like the work to upscale up to 1080 would just be better used to run natively at 1080p?

FSR 2.0 will support Pascal cards from the onset.

In the end, AMD will force the Leatherman to come up with a similar to FSR system that supports Pascal cards esp in view of the fact that 71% of gamers are using GTX GPUs still.

Why would they come with an alternative if FSR 2.0 will be already available to nVidia GPUs? It would make sense if you could enable it from the Radeon Control Panel, giving radeon users an advantage, but I don't think that can happen.

Why would you use this for 1080p? seems like the work to upscale up to 1080 would just be better used to run natively at 1080p?

Well obviously if your card is fast enough to run 1080p at max settings then no you wouldn't worry about this. But I'll bet plenty of people have GPU that can only run mid tier settings. So you could run quality mode and get output that looks at least as good as native, and probably run highest settings at better frame rates.

Personally I only see a need for this for some 1440p games or 4K.

Back