AMD reveals new 500-series GPUs with RX 580 and RX 570 available now

William Gayde

Staff

While Nvidia has been busy launching its newest and fastest graphics cards like the Titan Xp and GTX 1080ti, AMD has been focusing on the much larger budget oriented market. Today they launched the new RX 500 series of graphics cards. This family includes the RX 550, 560, 570, and 580. All of these new models, except the RX 550, are updated versions of the 400-series Polaris architecture.

The cards will range in price from $80 for the RX 550 up to $230 for the 8GB RX 580. Both the RX 570 and RX 580 are very similar to their 400 series cousins, but feature faster clocks and a higher TDP. The RX 560 is a more considerable upgrade over the RX 460 though. It features Polaris's full 16 compute units whereas the RX 460 only had 14. Finally, the RX 550 is a brand new model aimed at budget eSports or home theater builds. It doesn't require any additional power connectors and comes standard with 2GB of memory and 8 compute units. There will also be a limited number of 4GB models as well.

In terms of performance, the RX 580 and RX 570 will be very similar to the previous generation RX 400 cards. Compared to their green competitors, the top model RX 580 will be slightly faster than the GTX 1060 but still below the GTX 1070. Expect more benchmarks in the coming weeks as more cards are released.

For those that already own an RX 400 series card, don't bother upgrading to the RX 500 as they are very similar in terms of performance. For those looking to buy a new GPU all together, the RX 500 series offers great value. Current RX 400 series cards will likely see price drops soon which will also make them a great deal as well.

Permalink to story.

It seems (over at /r/amd even) that they are basically factory overclocked rx 470s/480s, and they draw far more power/run hotter, though power draw at idle/low load is drastically reduced.

It seems (over at /r/amd even) that they are basically factory overclocked rx 470s/480s, and they draw far more power/run hotter, though power draw at idle/low load is drastically reduced.

Pretty much. No reference cards this time around. AMD just told the AIB to go wild.

Vega ... or nothing.
What happens in Vega, stays in Vega. ;) Yeah, it is disappointing that these are nothing more than just rebrands, not that there was too much wrong with the 400 series but after the success of Ryzen, I woulda thought AMD would've been on an unstoppable roll for a while. I was wrong.

Reviewers on other sites have been stating that they are able to get a 40-80mhz OC out the RX580. I think we know what next years card is going to be!

Yeah, more re-brands. You'd think as least they could put a CVT transmission it it so it would fall apart in just 7,500 miles or so!

FML... I just ordered a RX460 for a light gaming/htpc... And of course out of all the cards its the "The RX 560 is a more considerable upgrade over the RX 460 though." I ordered from Newegg. Maybe if I don't open it they'll let me swap it out for a 560. It's coming in the mail on Friday. Better yet, maybe I'll throw in an additional 100 bucks and get the 580. Damn I should of done my homework!

FML... I just ordered a RX460 for a light gaming/htpc... And of course out of all the cards its the "The RX 560 is a more considerable upgrade over the RX 460 though." I ordered from Newegg. Maybe if I don't open it they'll let me swap it out for a 560. It's coming in the mail on Friday. Better yet, maybe I'll throw in an additional 100 bucks and get the 580. Damn I should of done my homework!
Looking at Newegg's policy if your video card was unopened and is within the return window you should be able to send it back if you get a RMA from them. There should be no restocking fee if those conditions are met; if it's past the return window there's a 15% restock fee.

Looking at Newegg's policy if your video card was unopened and is within the return window you should be able to send it back if you get a RMA from them. There should be no restocking fee if those conditions are met; if it's past the return window there's a 15% restock fee.

Thanks, that's exactly what I will do. I'll just tell them I was confused and made a mistake. I literally placed my order around midnight Sunday night, right before going to bed. I woke up Monday morning and see "RX 500 series released today" all over the tech news. I didn't think much of it at the time because I assumed AMD was responding to the 1080s & Titans with a $600-$700 powerhouse GPU but that's not the case, the 500 series is meant to specifically upgrade & replace the 400 series in every way. Hopefully things go okay with sending it back.

Back