AMD Ryzen 7 4800H Review: 8-Core Power for Mainstream Laptops

Julio Franco

Staff member

Having looked at a Ryzen 9 APU first, today we're going to be testing the AMD Ryzen 7 4800H which targets a more mainstream market and is likely going to be the most popular Ryzen H-series APU among buyers and laptop models across different brands.

Read the full article here.

Full list of laptops benchmarked for this review:

Asus TUF Gaming A15 FA506IU
Gigabyte Aorus 15G XB
Asus Zephyrus G14 GA401IV
Asus ZenBook Pro Duo UX481FL
Razer Blade Stealth 2019
MSI Prestige 14 A10SC
Gigabyte Aorus 15
MSI GE75 Raider 9SF
Rader Blade Pro 17
Asus ROG Strix Scar III G531G
Gigabyte Aorus 15 XA
Acer Predator Helios 300 (9750H)
HP Omen 15
HP Envy x360
Asus ZenBook UM433D
Asus ROG Zephyrus GA502D
Asus TUF Gaming FX505D
Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Kaby Lake G Version
Asus ROG Strix Scar II
Asus ROG Strix Hero II
Gigabyte Aero 15 X9
MSI GS75 Stealth 8SG
Alienware m15
Acer Predator Helios 300 2017
Acer Predator Triton 700 2017
MSI GS65 Stealth Thin
Gigabyte Aero 15X

The point is made near the end, the 4800H is comparable in performance to Intel parts that go in considerably more expensive machines. All of AMD's Renoir range look to be considerably cheaper than the Intel offerings.

The fact AMD can squeeze a workable 8 core like the lower power 4800U variant with decent integrated graphics into slim and light notebooks is sweet, but it appears they will be able to offer it at a price where vendors can come in at under $800.

Solid review. AMD's mobile Ryzen 4000 series chips are total beasts. Intel has their work cut out for themselves.

For those of us considering desktop replacements, consider including some desktop counterparts like the 2700X and 3700X for comparisons. I know it's not an apples to apples comparison, but for CPU specific benchmarks, it would be interesting to see how they stack up.

Heat noise its all controllable.
Who is to say default is correct.
Depending on your environment down clocking and under volting and setting fan curve is all subject to interference to users preference.
@Vulcanproject

"The Ryzen 7 3750H was not a good laptop APU, it was significantly slower than Intel’s Core i7s"
I don't think that's a particularly fair comment, considering that R7 never competed with said i7's at all (in cost, performance, etc...). It was a 4c/8t i5 competitor through and through, and under that actually fair comparison, Picasso was a pretty decent chip for the price.

Another interesting measure is heat, noise and temperature which is important in modern laptops.
They are, for a notebook, but this is not a notebook test - it's a CPU one. Maximum heat is strongly related to power budget of a CPU, which in standard setup should be around the TDP value, so that already gives you some approximate number - 45W, in this case. In reality, though, laptop manufacturers can both raise or limit the power consumption and then it becomes a property of a given notebook (even more so when cooling is a limiting factor). Noise and temperature are even more dependant on a given laptop, you can't really measure those for a CPU in a meanigful way.

Get AMD, I thought it will beat Intel by very little but it seem like TIgerlake will have big problem competing with Renoir. not to mention Zen 3 apu is on the way with another 15% ipc over zen 2

My work is content creation in 3dsmax , photoshop , adobe premiere , etc .. I m still confused with which processor I should buy ..which laptop will be best ?? My budget is $1000 .. plz do rply if u have any idea abt this ..thank you

My work is content creation in 3dsmax , photoshop , adobe premiere , etc .. I m still confused with which processor I should buy ..which laptop will be best ?? My budget is $1000 .. plz do rply if u have any idea abt this ..thank you
Have a look at the results. The question is also if the majority of your tasks are short / bursty or longer running, if they profit from multi core or favor fast single core performance.

Another question is which of your tasks would benefit from a faster dGPU but looking at your budget any RTX 2070 / 2080 should be out of the question.

Still, look what kind of GPU you can get within your budget.

You should additionally focus on display color accurancy.
All CPU and gpu performance doenst count if your colors arent accurate afterwards.

Ryzen. Because it runs fast, sustains its clock rate under stress, consumes less power, produces less heat, and is much cheaper. You have a budget limit, you'd get a CPU that's faster or at the very least on par with intel's top offerings, for less money. This is my opinion.

The point is made near the end, the 4800H is comparable in performance to Intel parts that go in considerably more expensive machines. All of AMD's Renoir range look to be considerably cheaper than the Intel offerings.

The fact AMD can squeeze a workable 8 core like the lower power 4800U variant with decent integrated graphics into slim and light notebooks is sweet, but it appears they will be able to offer it at a price where vendors can come in at under $800.
In the US maybe they will cost 1500-2000 in EU and that's why it's no going to sell

"we'll be back with a proper investigation into Ryzen 4000 gaming when we can be sure the numbers are reflective of the real world, final experience."

I'm guessing results were pretty poor for gaming then?

Thanks Techspot for a lot of information you share us. Could you give me a suggest to chose cpu mobile for editing video on premiere pro? I am wondering between i7 9750h and r7 4800H, I want live playback on premiere to smooth, time for rendering isn't important for me cause my video around 4-5 mins.

The article says ' but we don’t expect any H-series laptops to launch without a discrete GPU pairing, making the point moot.'
I think the H-series laptop with no discrete GPU will cut the size/thinner and lighter , cheaper, more power friendly and therefore perfect for non gamers, such as developers that don't need a discrete GPU but need the best performance for everything else ?
So far I can not find any manufacturer making this configuration.
Maybe somebody can explain the reason ? Should we just go for the U-series instead?

Last edited:
Just grabbed the ASUS TUF Gaming A15 laptop w/the 4800H & RTX2060 from BestBuy for $850. Can't wait to try it out for gaming & streaming when I'm traveling for work.

Back