AMD Ryzen 7000 Zen 4 CPU sales are tiny compared to Zen 3

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? A sales report from German hardware retailer Mindfactory has landed online, and it's both good and bad news for AMD. The positive part is that its CPUs are ahead of Intel in terms of both units sold and revenue. Unfortunately, its Zen 4-based chips still aren't selling well, accounting for just 15% of team red's total processor sales.

Redditor Ingebor posted the report from the European retail giant a few hours ago. It contains data covering the last 12 months, with much of it focused on the holiday season.

An interesting section of the report breaks down December's market share based on CPU architecture. AMD's chip sales were ahead of Intel's with a 63% total share. That'll obviously please Lisa Su and co., but a less welcome sight is the comparatively weak performance of its Zen 4-based Ryzen 7000 desktop CPUs (Raphael).

AMD's latest processors accounted for just 15% of all its CPU unit sales. That's only slightly more than Zen3/Ryzen 5000G's (Cezanne) 13%, and almost five times less than Zen3/Ryzen 5000 (Vermeer), which took 71% of all AMD unit sales.

It's a similar story when looking at revenue. AMD beat Intel with a 59% overall share in the CPU market during December, while Ryzen 7000's 24% was far behind Vermeer's 68%.

For comparison, Intel's newest Raptor Lake chips were its best-selling CPUs in December (46%), slightly ahead of its predecessor, Alder Lake (43%). Raptor Lake was Intel's biggest earner by a large margin (63%), too.

We heard in October that Zen 4 wasn't selling as well as expected, and that was factoring in the current economic climate. Despite positive reviews and several discounts, it seems AMD's processors still aren't flying off the shelves.

Looking at individual CPUs, the Ryzen 7 5800X3D topped the sales list, followed by the Ryzen 5 5600X and Ryzen 7 5800X. Intel's highest entry was the Core i5 12400F in fourth. The best-selling Zen 4 processor, meanwhile, was the Ryzen 7 7700X in 12th place.

Both companies are bringing out new processors soon. AMD is preparing 65W variants of non-X Ryzen 7000 chips and, reportedly, three Ryzen 7000 X3D CPUs, while Intel has 65W non-K Raptor Lake processors on the way.

h/t: VideoCardz

Permalink to story.

No shirt...most people are thinking about eating and food and bills, there is going to be 2yrs of low sales except for companies

Wow. Folks are being very clear about the prices they're willing to pay. And raptorlake too - look at those 13600k numbers. It doesn't need a platform upgrade, I expected it to be compative with the 5800x3d, but I suppose there are more buyers using older AMD platforms now..

When the Motherboard prices are higher than the CPU's prices, you're going to struggle to sell them.
Back at Cyber Monday, I saw the 7950X going for £550 but the Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero going for £680.

Bang on, who in their right mind is buying these things?

You can get a perfectly functional x670e motherboard for sub $280, and even that's far too expensive to be in any way compelling. The AIBs got a lot of flack for scalping GPUs, but they are also slowly destroying the CPU platform market with over-engineered, over-marketed, over LED'd, over-'Gamer'ed and over-priced motherboards.

You don't really need a 13600K or a 7600X if you are running a gpu from the previous gen. Even at 1440p, you will most likely be gpu limited, even with an 6950 XT / 3090 Ti.

A 5600 ryzen paired with good ddr4 will do just fine...

I am pretty sure that most of those 13600K/7600/7700X gaming buyers pair their system with sth like a 6750 XT / rtx 3070 at best, when a 5600/7900 XT would make way more sense for around the same budget
A combination of increased platform cost, solid perf/$ from previoys gen, high gpu prices for last gen and the not so good looking macroeconomic factors are keeping sales of new cpus low.

Last edited:
They should make a version of Zen4 (with rdna3 and not rnda2) for the AM4 socket motherboards with the x570 and ddr4 ram and keep the 3d versions (with rdna3 too, it's not only about fps but about better video encoding and decoding capabilities) with the extra cache only for the AM5 slot.

This way they will push to lower the am5 mb prices as well. People don't want to change the motherboard and throw it away with the ram but they are open to buy a new processor.

If they don't do this then the zen 5 when it comes it will make the zen4 obsolete. If they try to avoid it and delay zen5 they will lose to the competition. So they need to do the only thing they can do to increase their sales right now and that is simply to do what the market is telling them and that is to make a version of zen4 for the am4 slot as soon as possible.

You don't really need a 13600K or a 7600X if you are running a gpu from the previous gen. Even at 1440p, you will most likely be gpu limited, even with an 6950 XT / 3090 Ti.

I am pretty sure that most of those 13600K/7600/7700X gaming buyers pair their system with sth like a 6750 XT / rtx 3070 at best, when a 5600/7900 XT would make way more sense for around the same budget
A combination of increased platform cost, solid perf/$ from previoys gen, high gpu prices for last gen and the not so good looking macroeconomic factors are keeping sales of new cpus low.
I'll take it a step further, you dont need these CPUs. Period. If you are playing at 60 FPS like the majority of the planet is on, CPUs have been good enough, you can still rock skylake quad cores and get the job done. Even playing games like halo infinite at 144hz, the limitation is the GPU 99% of the time.

I feel like, with 6 core CPUs having been around for so long, there's just no reason to upgrade. most of the old haswell/ivy bridge and FX series parts have been replaced, hell most of the ryzen 1000s have or are currently being replaced by 5000 series upgrades, and those upgrades will last a long time, especially given the sluggish economy and ever rising cost of living. .

Everything right now is reminding me more of 2007/early 2008, lots of spending but nobody had cash. This s gonna blow up hard in the coming years.....

More power but also more power draw, more heat, more things need to be replaced (ram, mobo, PSU), more pricey for the sake of pricey.

more more more

wait why isn't anybody buying?

I hate how somehow, the crazy motherboards prices are AMD fault, yet that's never mentioned.

AMD has too many variants...

X
non-X
X3D

And they think starting with the least desirable product is the smart play. AMD is its own worst enemy. If it's a supply issue I want it confirmed, and the why.

Bang on, who in their right mind is buying these things?

You can get a perfectly functional x670e motherboard for sub $280, and even that's far too expensive to be in any way compelling. The AIBs got a lot of flack for scalping GPUs, but they are also slowly destroying the CPU platform market with over-engineered, over-marketed, over LED'd, over-'Gamer'ed and over-priced motherboards.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/why-amds-ryzen-7000-and-motherboards-cost-so-damn-much

DDR5 is still too expensive for a minimal gain.

PCI5 adds cost but no benefit.

Next year will be the sweet spot to upgrade to the new socket.

Motherboard/DDR5 prices, combined with the fact that AM4 is so good means that it'll be quite a while before most users feel compelled to upgrade.
I just got a 5800x3D. I'm good for at least another 2 years.

TBF AL and RL are also tiny compared to Zen3. This headline should be adjusted to state Zen3 is just way ahead of the new CPUs period.

Does this mean 7x3D will blow everything out of the water? Maybe, the issue though would still probably be the motherboard and DDR5 RAM, but we'll have to see.

When the AM5 Asus ROG Strix X670E F - Gaming mobo costs 2.5x more than the AM4 Asus ROG Strix X570F - Gaming version it's no wonder people aren't buying place on top of that the ridiculous cost of AMD's 7000 series CPU's compared to the 5000 series and DDR5 prices in comparison to DDR4 then you've just managed to price people out of the market and don't even get me started on the complete rip off that GPU's are

Point is, when you are a gamer, and gamers represent the vast majority of CPU buyers in retail, do you need a 70xx series CPU when you already have a 5800X3D or a 5900X/5950X? Answer is no.
I have a 5900X feeding an Asus ROG Strix OC GAMING 3080and see no reason to upgrade whatsoever.
This is just a hobby after all. And new gen consoles are becoming more and more interesting compared to PCs. Less expensive, graphics are almost on par, no need to cope with all the problems of a crappy OS like windows etc.

Duh, the majority of people don't need these. I am good with my 5800x, 3600 ram and RTX 3070. Zero need for an upgrade for at least two more years. Prices are WAY too high. Ridiculous.

So reading those graphs, 200 Euros seems to be the sweet spot for European customers? Am I also making a safe assumption that Zen 4 hasn't sold well, due to the high price of motherboards?

Many people (myself included) buy a good CPU and then upgrade the GPU 3-4 years later and get 6-8 years or more out of their PC. My current rig started with a 4670K and HD7970 and then I replaced the GPU with a 1080 when they came out six years ago.

I would expect there to be lower sales of a cpu that requires a whole new platform (ram and mobo) to go with it. That significant raises the cost to entry especially when they release the high end mibos first. Additionally during lockdown, covid etc there was huge sales volume and people did a lot of upgradesand new systems. Apart from the impact of recessions and inflation, I think it will be another couple years for people to become unsatisfied with what they bought over the last 2 years or so.

Wow. Folks are being very clear about the prices they're willing to pay. And raptorlake too - look at those 13600k numbers. It doesn't need a platform upgrade, I expected it to be compative with the 5800x3d, but I suppose there are more buyers using older AMD platforms now..

Let's be clear it's not just the cost of the cpu that's the problem, it's the fact upgraders need new rip-off MB's and DDR5. IMO why would you buy a 7600X for $229 when for only $90 more the 13600K matches it for gaming and thrashes in MTing in most cases. I keep my systems for at least 4 years before upgrading, so an extra $90 for the cpu is nothing. To me AMD needs 7600X3D and that needs to be $299 max.

In my opinion, the current gen of CPUs is not attractive at all, especially when you are still on previous gen, I.e. Zen 3 and Alder Lake. Sure it offers higher performance, but most runs like a toaster, draws more power, and cost more. Raptor Lake had it easier because it is backward compatible with the 600 series chipset boards with DDR4 support. For gamers, unless one is looking for absurd FPS @ 1080p, otherwise, one is less likely to run into CPU bottleneck @ 1440p and 4k. Otherwise, a good old Ryzen 5 5600 or Intel i5 12400 should offer plenty of performance.

Right now, the competition is not to offer the best product for customer, but rather to try and outdo one another in performance. So while we moved forward in the performance metric, we see regression in all other metrics.

Back