AMD Ryzen 9 7950X prototype demolishes the 5950X in Cinebench R23

mongeese

Staff
Recap: Last week, AMD announced the 7000-series and scheduled its launch for September 27. If you missed our recap of the event, the bottom line is this: these processors will gorge themselves on power to reach astronomical clock speeds but are otherwise fairly similar to their predecessors.

The Ryzen 9 7950X is AMD's flagship and will cost $100 less than the 5950X, $700. It has 16 cores / 32 threads, 5.7 GHz boost, and 4.5 GHz base clocks. Those speeds, an increased cache capacity, and other IPC improvements culminate in what AMD says is a 29% single-core performance gain over the 5950X.

So it shouldn't be surprising to see it flying past the 5950X in the first leaked benchmarks. Like the 7700X and 7600X, the 7950X has been put through the paces in the Cinebench R23 render test.

Enthusiasts in China acquired several engineering and production samples and started publishing benchmark results last week. Some of their posts have already been taken down, but higher scores keep appearing daily. All of them claim that their scores were achieved without overclocking, which is believable given that the flagship Ryzen processors already have notoriously little overclocking headroom.

Still, take these figures with a grain of salt. The highest multi-core score achieved so far is 38,984 points. It comes from a screenshot of an engineering sample running the benchmark shared to the Chiphell forums.

In another example, Twitter user "Raichu" scored 37,452 points with a production sample. Raichu also shared some additional info: their CPU had an all-core clock speed of 5.1 GHz and consumed 240 W during the benchmark, resulting in temps of up to 96° C despite a 360 mm AIO watercooler.

Screenshots of yet another production sample running the benchmark posted to Baidu show the processor hit a score of 36,256 points with an unspecified water cooling solution. The same processor only reached 29,649 points when it had just an air cooler (not a very good one, evidently).

For some context, the 5950X can be pushed to ~30,000 points with minor effort and usually lands in the ballpark of 25,000 - 30,000 points in most systems. It can go higher, but it also runs into temperature problems. Being a bit generous and using 30,000 as a baseline, the 7950X is 20-30% faster than those leaked results, which is right around that 29% figure that AMD promised.

For those willing to take it with an extra large helping of salt, you can also compare the 7950X results against the leaked Intel Core i9-13900K results from last month. Intel's upcoming flagship achieved a score of 40,616 points while consuming over 340 W and 35,693 points while limited to 240 W.

Compared to the 5950X and 13900K, the 7950X proves itself a worthy inheritor of the Ryzen crown in Cinebench R23 if those numbers are valid. Stay tuned for our upcoming reviews of the 7950X and the 7900X, 7700X, and 7600X, when we'll give you a comprehensive analysis.

Permalink to story.

240W? And people complain about alder lake being a power hog? That being said I know most of the time alder lake and I’m guessing the 7950x doesn’t/won’t use 240W+.

Finally which chip has more IPC (at 4 GHz) Zen 4, Alder Lake, Raptor Lake? Would be interesting to know given that Raptor lake’s all core boost will seemingly be 5.5 GHz.

Next gen being 20-30% faster? Who would have thought? But kidding aside, what's with the huge power usage? CPUs and GPUs look hungrier than ever and just in time for the upcoming energy crisis.

"Still, take these figures with a grain of salt."

I'm up to a kg (2.2 lbs) of salt by now. Every time we hear a report concerning Ryzen 7000 or Raptor Lake we're told to "grab another grain."
pfft, nobody takes science units seriously

"Given that the flagship Ryzen processors already have notoriously little overclocking headroom" Right... what you actually mean is that PBO mode will automatically clock up to their limits. So "overclocking" is not only unnecessary but makes no sense anyway except for headlines, corner cases, or the e-peen. Or to just ding AMD.

Next gen being 20-30% faster? Who would have thought? But kidding aside, what's with the huge power usage?
AMD is claiming an uplift in power efficiency, but if these figures are correct, the new Ryzens are significantly *less* efficient than the 5000 series.

96* despite a 360mm cooler?

Wow, hot, hot, hot
hot-south-park.gif

Total Bunk...(2nd attempt at post.) You understand, I hope, that even at a 170W TDP or max socket power of 230W that this is still less power than Alder lake 12900--which rings the bell at 220 TDP-250W max. Please try and refrain from using ridiculous phrases like "Gorges itself on power" which I don't recall you saying about Alder Lake. (My apologies, if you did say that about Alder lake.)

(I didn't realize that I was so important that my posts had to be "approved"...;) I'm flattered, but I really can't see why.)

AMD is claiming an uplift in power efficiency, but if these figures are correct, the new Ryzens are significantly *less* efficient than the 5000 series.

These numbers are wholly incorrect. Trust me...;) 7950X much superior to 12900 Alder Lake, for instance, and that's if you put the Ryzen pedal to the metal. You do know they can also run at 65W & 105W, eh?

It's just me or PC parts look like petrol engines in the 80', when gas was dirt cheap and no polution regulations. Dont take that 2.0L engine, give a try to the big V8 6.0L.
Bad news, gas/energy prices will not come down anytime soon.

It's just me or PC parts look like petrol engines in the 80', when gas was dirt cheap and no polution regulations. Dont take that 2.0L engine, give a try to the big V8 6.0L.
Bad news, gas/energy prices will not come down anytime soon.
Next gen being 20-30% faster? Who would have thought? But kidding aside, what's with the huge power usage? CPUs and GPUs look hungrier than ever and just in time for the upcoming energy crisis.
Daily reminder that if the difference between a 100 watt and 200 watt cpu makes you worry that much about energy usage, you better never look at the power used to drive air conditioning or those new fangled electric cars greenies just love.

As it was noted on other websites which reported these results, its worth keeping in mind the voltages on those CPU's were too high for what 7950x should be using (and that manual undervolting drastically dropped the temperatures by about 40 degrees Celsius and left massive headroom for clocks to go up), and BIOS versions were outdated (so there are quite likely issues with the chips and bioses these leakers got that have to be fixed before the final retall parts are shipped).

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X will be a productivity chip - it's power use compared to the refridgerator holding DNA samples will be minimum .
Not many home buyers will be pushing them hard.

so power draw - should be averaged over a range of time and actvites - or just for gaming .

Really though if you want the best - wait for both Intel and AMD to release then buy the 7950X3D next year ( not sure Intel has anything to compete with that.)

I think the price is indicative AMD and Intel will be close - plus the premium will come next year of 3D version $700 for this monster is a bargain compared to Intel $1000 CPUs of yesteryear ( that had no purpose in anyones home - except a few edge cases )

You do know they can also run at 65W & 105W, eh?
Every leaked specification I've seen so far indicates a minimum TDP of 105w; the 65w tier has been eliminated.

but EVs are much more energy efficient than gas - no drivetrain or mechanical engine losses, no thermal losses, no oil...
If you consider the EV in isolation, sure. But when you realize the electricity for that EV is in most cases generated from a thermal power plant with generation, transmission, and distribution losses, plus charging losses from wall socket to EV, plus the amortized additional energy costs of manufacturing the vehicle, the equation is much more nearly balanced. EVs usually win, but by a much smaller margin, and in some countries, they wind up generating more emissions overall, not less.

Haven't seen many pc's running on unleaded these days.
Just you wait! If Musk can make cars electric, Huang can make GPUs hydrocarbon. Woohoo! I can't wait to get my two-stroke RTX 5090 Ti (external exhaust pipe sold separately)! Then Gelsinger and Su will say, "Wait! That's thing?!" And lo and behold, the Core i9-15900 turbodiesel and Ryzen 9850 LPG ('cause why collaborate on fuel source?)

Last edited:

Nah, you can turn your thermostat down in the winter and save some money. lol. But seriously, I don't like the state of energy usage. I think I would settle for new generation chips that perform at the same levels but half the energy usage. That would be AWESOME.

Daily reminder that if the difference between a 100 watt and 200 watt cpu makes you worry that much about energy usage, you better never look at the power used to drive air conditioning or those new fangled electric cars greenies just love.

And no power grid to handle them. California asking people not to charge their cars. lol. These *****s forcing technology for a worldwide grid that can't handle the current load. DUMB. Already in Europe they are sorry for the push for "EV" green. Rolling blackouts on the way.

Back