AMD Ryzen Review: Ryzen 7 1800X & 1700X Put to the Test

I'm considering building a new rig with one of these new CPUs to replace my aging Intel 2500K system.

Can anyone recommend which Ryzen CPU will be best to purchase that offers similar capability's to my current i5?

Obviously I will also have to get a new mainboard and DDR4 + aftermarket cooler also.

Just looking for some suggestions really.

Honestly,
I am disappointed, as Amd can only make great hype but not any perfect product. Yes it was powerful but still behind regarding games. lets hope that 1700 or 6 core candone the job regarding gaming

I will put this here for people wondering about the gaming results:

We had a lot of trouble benchmarking games with Ryzen. It seems we weren't the only ones, and many other reviewers have reported strangely low performance here. Our initial Asus board was plagued with bugs, and we saw some gains simply by switching to a Gigabyte or Asrock board. This really isn't the sort of behavior you'd expect, and AMD even acknowledged there were some issues with some Asus boards.

While we are pretty confident in our application test results, there could be some unresolved early issues with Ryzen and AM4 boards that is leading to strangely low gaming performance. We're not 100% sure what is going on there; Steve and I spent a while discussing what could be up, and we ended up confused more than anything else.

So if you're a gamer that's looking at our gaming results and thinking "that's disappointing", there could be an unresolved story here.

Of course one possible conclusion is simply that Ryzen isn't that amazing in games, but we're just not fully sure that is truly the case if all hardware was working correctly

EDIT: Don't get your hopes up about a potential fix. The results we achieved could be it, and you should make any buying decisions accordingly at this stage. The best thing may be to wait a few weeks just to make sure ;)

Last edited:
Disappointed with gaming performance - I was hoping to stick one of this in my next gaming rig, but as it looks as though I'll be going Intel again. At least this should prompt Intel to drop their prices! Win-win :)

I'm considering building a new rig with one of these new CPUs to replace my aging Intel 2500K system.

Can anyone recommend which Ryzen CPU will be best to purchase that offers similar capability's to my current i5?

Obviously I will also have to get a new mainboard and DDR4 + aftermarket cooler also.

Just get the 1700 (Non-X) and OC it to 4 GHz.

Just get the 1700 (Non-X) and OC it to 4 GHz.
Looking at the gaming results I think I may just stick with Intel considering the potential drop in price that Ryzen may bring about.

Think I might just wait another month until conclusive reports materialize.

I don't know what some of you were expecting in regards to gaming performance. IMO, it looks to be in line with what I expected, maybe a few % less. But you don't buy an 8-core 16 thread processor with less IPC thinking it's going to match or exceed faster 4 core 8 thread chips like the i7's.

Even then, a majority of people target 60fps, unless you are rocking a 144-165hz monitor, it's more than enough.

I have a 6700K @4.6ghz and will be sticking with it because I'm one of those people. But man I'm watering at the mouth thinking of building a 1800X setup for video production.

Surprised how weak gaming was after all this time, especially as this the primary market for enthusiasts.

It's a possibility, but I wouldn't bank on updates having an impact

I would think the other way around, as this is an all new platform, and there are always bugs with motherboard/bioses in new platforms. Many reviews already have spoken to that point, including this one. Regardless AMD has hit a home run.

If all you use your PC for is gaming, then you should sell it and get a fricken Xbox. Some tards think with such tunnel vision :confused:

"ya, but I get 400fps in "X" game, and only takes me 45 minutes to extract it, and it loads in like 5 minutes"

If all you use your PC for is gaming, then you should sell it and get a fricken Xbox. Some tards think with such tunnel vision :confused:

"ya, but I get 400fps in "X" game, and only takes me 45 minutes to extract it, and it loads in like 5 minutes"

When you add up MB, RAM, HDs, Ryzen really not much cheaper and its slower I games plus uses more power than and old 3770k. Really disappointing, I'll keep waiting for something worthwhile these baby steps over the past 5 years is harsh, no good reason to upgrade other than wasting money or saying "I have a new build"

It is an awesome processor. I wish it had dominated in gaming categories as well but it is close enough that this will be in my next build.

Interesting bit at the end about the smoothness in games despite the lower frame-rates.

Nice review Techspot.

Well, I'm pretty impressed. Improves greatly on previous Excavator architecture, is this another way of saying AMD had dug themselves into a hole that it now seems they are out of.
I'd buy it, but I already have an i7-67ooK that's not very old, if you were in the market for a new computer it seems just fine.

A much better showing then the highly disappointing Bulldozer family but not exactly a "wow" factor chip. I'm more interested in the Ryzen 3 & 5 chips but as of now there still seems to be little reason to upgrade from my OC i5-2500k @ 4ghz.

Last edited:
I would not call it a home run, but considering how weak previous iterations of AMD processors have been I'd have to say Ryzen is going to be a breath of fresh air that AMD so desperately needs.

I mean, I'm not gonna get one because I already have a 6700k and my workloads have shifted more to gaming than I used to be, but AMD needs this to be successful and they're starting off relatively strong.

When you add up MB, RAM, HDs, Ryzen really not much cheaper and its slower I games plus uses more power than and old 3770k. Really disappointing, I'll keep waiting for something worthwhile these baby steps over the past 5 years is harsh, no good reason to upgrade other than wasting money or saying "I have a new build"

your old 3770K has 4 cores, this has 8 cores, wait for Quad Core RyZen´s to compare, I think that even the Hexa Core could draw less power

This is another Bulldozer hype train all over again.

AMD had YEARS to study Intel's CPU's when making Ryzen.
I don't see how this is the case. Even on 60/75 FPS gaming [seriously, outside of benchmarking, no one wants tearing all over the place], it is a strong performer overall. This is coming from a 5930K, GTX 1070 owner.

Last edited:

Yea true, but then AMD needs to fire their marketing team since all they've done is hype up gamers, only to disappoint them.

Nice review, gaming scores are what I figured they would be, higher IPC and higher clocks on the kaby and skylake chips give them the edge, not to mention most of the games were prob developed on intel cpu system. But we will see what amd can do with this architecture over the next few years. It does do a great job of competing and should make things more interesting in the cpu space. Will be interesting to see if the r5's overclock any better having less cores.

Last edited:
Holding tightly to my Xeon - for about a year. Then I expect AMD to have sorted out issues with chipsets and drivers...might be still great enough.

Back