AMD shows off Phenom II X6 processor at CeBIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

If current rumors are to be believed, AMD's fist hexa-core processors are headed for desktops sometime around April. The new chips will reportedly come in three flavors: Phenom II X6 1035T, 1055T, and the 1075T. While AMD has yet to confirm any specific details and launch plans, today they've gone ahead and started showing off a Thuban engineering sample at the CeBIT tradeshow in Hannover.

The crew at Golem.de have posted a video off AMD's next-generation Leo platform powered by an unidentified Phenom II X6 processor, running on a Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H motherboard based on the newly released 890GX chipset and coupled with ATI Radeon HD 5000-series graphics. There was no mention of specific clock speeds but it is said that the highest stock frequency of AMD's six-core chips will be 2.80GHz.

To compensate for the relatively low clock speeds and optimize resources, AMD's six-core processors will reportedly have some form of dynamic speed boost technology called "C-state performance boost." Much like Intel's Turbo Boost, C-state performance should kick in when single-thread performance is needed most, automatically disabling idle cores and overclocking the remaining engines to the maximum possible level.

Thuban processors are expected to be compatible with AM2+ and AM3 motherboards, presumably following a BIOS update. It remains to be seen whether the new dynamic speed boost technology will function on existing motherboards as well.

Permalink to story.

I'm probably just a noob, but for the past few years I've been visiting TechSpot, I don't remember seeing a video embedded in an article like this. Or at least it's very rare

when they say that 2.8ghz is the highest attainable speed Is this the speed they are going to offer it in? or is that the fastest it will go period? if its the second that does not bode well for AMD as a desktop CPU, I believe the Gulftown will go way over 3.0ghz. makes me wonder if AMD's problem has been core synchronization the entire time. they have not been able to go over the 4.0ghz barrier without exotic cooling yet.
I think AMD is going to be st5uck in second place as long as they keep using the SOI process, as opposed to Intels high-k + metal gate technology

Thanks,red. I reworded that... it means stock clock speeds are rumored to top out at 2.8GHz

I think it is great although it is probably overkill as Quad cores are not being utilized to their full potential. But I am not one to stand in the way of innovation. Bring on the Hexacore!!!!!!

I agree with Geek4life, Quad cores are being utilized.. seems like overkill here.. but you never know what new programs will demand .. AMD has a long lasting processor even if it isnt the fastest on the market. At least they dont burn out like some.

helobuff said....
AMD has a long lasting processor even if it isnt the fastest on the market. At least they dont burn out like some.

I believe both AMD and Intel build pretty good quality CPUs; we still have couple of 486/486DX machines running at work (mostly for some old accounting software on foxpro, with dotmatrix printers).

Now about Hexa core CPUs, I believe there are users who can exploit such tech to its fullest and bit more; and one such area is CAD; hence, the people who use AutoCAD at my work, or the people using various other Engg. tools are the happiest one with more cores ;).

It does seem rather redundant when quad-cores aren't being utilized, but I suppose when they finally are, a hexa-core will actually be at a decent price point for consumers even though they probably won't be fully utilized either. I'll stick with my dual-core for now.

I'm still running a dual core CPU and it's fine for everything I do. I suppose I'll move to quad-core when I upgrade next but for me I'd rather have the higher Ghz than more cores.

I'm looking for a 3.2 GHz or more unlocked multiplier edition! AMD will need the higher clocks to beat the 1156's and 1366's majorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back