AMD Threadripper Pro 5000 to expand availability to more OEMs, hit retail eventually

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: When AMD's long-awaited Zen 3 Threadripper workstation CPUs launched in March, they were only available in Lenovo's OEM systems. Now we know when they'll come to other original equipment manufacturers and beyond. One OEM company's review confirms noticeable performance gains over the processors' competition and predecessors.

AMD announced this week that it's widening the availability of the Threadripper Pro 5000 WX series processors. Over a year after releasing the Zen 3 standard Ryzen CPUs, AMD launched their Threadripper counterparts in March, but only as part of Lenovo's ThinkStation P620. Starting in July, the 5000 WX CPUs will feature in other OEM systems, including the Precision 7865 Dell announced earlier this month. AMD plans to release Zen 3 Threadrippers for DIY consumers later this year.

Among the companies offering 5000 WX workstations, Puget Systems just published a rundown of the series' performance in content creation applications. In nearly all of them, the new Threadrippers show a clear improvement over their Zen 2 equivalents and increase their lead over Intel's Xeon processors.

The biggest victories for the 5000 WX series are in DaVinci Resolve, Cinebench R23 multi-core, V-Ray, and Adobe After Effects. The advantage is most acute in the multi-core score for After Effects. However, Intel's Core i9-12900K trades blows with AMD's new products in some programs like Adobe Premier Pro, Photoshop, Lightroom Classic, and Cinebench R23 single-core performance. Intel's next generation of workstation processors will probably come with Sapphire Rapids later in 2022.

Permalink to story.

Can't blame them for delivery to OEM's first. At least it will give it a little more time for the discounters to get set up ....

Can't blame them for delivery to OEM's first. At least it will give it a little more time for the discounters to get set up ....
Yes we should blame AMD. Phuck that. It's Polaris time. Again they doing rehash of 2 year old architecture and 6-8 months later they will offer new generation of TR/TRPros. If they came up with TRP at the same time in 2020 without paywall + geolocked behind Lenovo SI (country specific), most people would pick WRX80 instead of TRX40. Now this is DOA unless you literally have money to burn, want to expand existing WRX80 infrastructure or need ASAP replacement for other dead WRX80 system.

For me personally lack of TB3 on Threadripper was always major issue. Now I just patiently wait for next gen. Gigabyte offered TB3 cards with TRX40 which were wonky, but worked sometimes. USB4/TB4 will solve this problem on the root level.

Nobody really cares at this point.
With new arch coming, this is will be old tech by the time it reaches DIY market.

For me personally lack of TB3 on Threadripper was always major issue.
No it isn't. If you want Thunderbolt, buy Intel or Apple. Otherwise find an alternative to the function you need. You will not have to look very hard..

Nobody really cares at this point.
With new arch coming, this is will be old tech by the time it reaches DIY market.
Nonsense. I'm a current TR user and have been waiting for an upgrade. I'm not changing the rest of my system. I am far from alone on this point.

So once again AMD is attempting to release everything they have at the end of the year with just TSMC this time. GloFo not even doing IO dies anymore.

Genoa
TR workstation DIY
RDNA 3
Zen 4 + V-cache desktop
New sockets and chipsets

Good luck! It's gonna be tough.

So once again AMD is attempting to release everything they have at the end of the year with just TSMC this time. GloFo not even doing IO dies anymore.

Genoa
TR workstation DIY
RDNA 3
Zen 4 + V-cache desktop
New sockets and chipsets

Good luck! It's gonna be tough.

They buy/reserve production lines few years before they start using them.

f3e22584a3d4efbdf2ee45b7e47f16e54e082497803fc09dc714ef41630a3cd2.png

Yes we should blame AMD. Phuck that. It's Polaris time. Again they doing rehash of 2 year old architecture and 6-8 months later they will offer new generation of TR/TRPros. If they came up with TRP at the same time in 2020 without paywall + geolocked behind Lenovo SI (country specific), most people would pick WRX80 instead of TRX40. Now this is DOA unless you literally have money to burn, want to expand existing WRX80 infrastructure or need ASAP replacement for other dead WRX80 system.

For me personally lack of TB3 on Threadripper was always major issue. Now I just patiently wait for next gen. Gigabyte offered TB3 cards with TRX40 which were wonky, but worked sometimes. USB4/TB4 will solve this problem on the root level.
Epyc is killing xeon now.
So amd is prioritizing its production over anything else due to much higher profit margin

Back