AMD vs Intel?

AMD 955 Quad core , 6Gb 1600 mem, Ati 5870x2 Crossfired vs. Intel Core i7 930, 4Ghz 1333 mem, Nvidia Gtx 480, Unigen 2.0, tessellation exterme, 8x AA, 1920x1080, 16x anisotropy, Dx11, win 7 64bit AMD score 853 Fps 33.8 Intel score 833 Fps 33.01 Comments??

It depends upon the price range you're looking at.

AMD's processors offer more bang/buck from the low-end to midrange. That's to say if you have a specific amount of money you can spend on a CPU such as $75, $100 or $160, you'll get a better performing CPU by going with AMD instead of Intel for the same price. But at the highest end, Intel's CPUs are better. The top Core i7 processors are better than the best Phenom II processors. However, they cost a lot more.

AMD allows you to get 90% of the performance for 60% of the price. Intel has the most powerful CPUs which run cooler and use less power, provided you're willing to pay a bit more.

Ok, post above seems really generic.

OP was hardly better, it lists a couple system specifications...?
What was the question?

You dont use i7 930's with 2,4 or 8 gigs of ram without being considered a failure. Or maybe the op posted the specs backwards.

Plus the Unigen 2.0, tessellation exterme is one test that the Fermi will do well at. Even vs 2x5870 since Fermi has the hardware to really excel at the tessellation added with DX11. If you want AMD vs Intel you have to limit the test configuration to as many similar components as possible.
Only difference in the hardware should be CPU+mobo (and ram if the motherboards don't support the same types).

I'd guess that if you did other benchmarks that didn't feature tessellation with the test system using AMD and Intel CPUs you'd see the 5870 crossfire beat out the GTX480.

Most systems comes standard with 4GB or 6GB of RAM as most systems can handle 8GB or 16GB o RAM. I can see using 6GB for home, media or web server under IIS7. AMD Q-4 is pretty beefy as I have 3 of those here in use around the clock. Here I mostly have the taste of AMD S-1, D-2, Q-4 in desktops and laptops. Intel well bunch of systems and the 2x Netbooks uses the Atom. 2x Tablets uses TeleChips and VIA. AMD vs Intel not the only players out their Samsung, Cortex, TeleChips Rockchips, VIA etc. All get the job done somehow.

AMD 955 Quad core , 6Gb 1600 mem, Ati 5870x2 Crossfired vs. Intel Core i7 930, 4Ghz 1333 mem, Nvidia Gtx 480, Unigen 2.0, tessellation exterme, 8x AA, 1920x1080, 16x anisotropy, Dx11, win 7 64bit AMD score 853 Fps 33.8 Intel score 833 Fps 33.01 Comments??

Just can't compare one from the other. All Hardware would have to be the same to do a real comparison except for the CPU, Chipset, Video, OS.

As long as it is stable and doesn't overheat or crash then at lease you know you have purchased something you can talk about.

More importantly, what was the motive...?

sorry, should have been a bit more clearer, amd system belongs to me an intel to my buddy. i was just wanting opinions on the two diff systems from people with a bit more know-how.

Plus the Unigen 2.0, tessellation exterme is one test that the Fermi will do well at. Even vs 2x5870 since Fermi has the hardware to really excel at the tessellation added with DX11. If you want AMD vs Intel you have to limit the test configuration to as many similar components as possible.
Only difference in the hardware should be CPU+mobo (and ram if the motherboards don't support the same types).

I'd guess that if you did other benchmarks that didn't feature tessellation with the test system using AMD and Intel CPUs you'd see the 5870 crossfire beat out the GTX480.

that is very tru, when using other benchmarks the amd system does beat the intel 480 system regular. if the 5870 crossfire is put into the intel system, it cannot even hit the same numbers as when it is matched to the amd system?

You dont use i7 930's with 2,4 or 8 gigs of ram without being considered a failure. Or maybe the op posted the specs backwards.

i7 is useing 4gig of ddr3 1333mhz

Just can't compare one from the other. All Hardware would have to be the same to do a real comparison except for the CPU, Chipset, Video, OS.

As long as it is stable and doesn't overheat or crash then at lease you know you have purchased something you can talk about.

both systems run stable, with stock cooling, wanted opinons on the diff systems as both rigs cost about the same in price.

Well, no flame baiting then. Having said that, a year ago just to see for myself about this AMD Vs Intel thing with the intent of not spending much, i got an Athlon II X2 240 based unit as well as an I Intel E5300 PDC one. Did a so-called "real-world" usage test by going thru my regular usage routine but this time with Prime95. [Did this to also formally break both units in]. After an hour of usage, i gave up on the testing as the Intel E5300 unit would lag with fair regularity for 1 or 2 seconds. The AMD unit performed flawlessly. So that's just about it for me when it comes to AMD vs. Intel. Funny this, at least for me- as i've been using Intel Processors exclusively for 30yrs. since first started computing, and really didn't expect that outcome.

Note: I deliberately used an AM2+ rather than AM3 (DDR3) Mainboard to keep the playing field level. Same with RAM and GPU.

Well samsarmi, I'm not certain how you arrived at which CPUs to test against one another, by price or by clock speed. If it was price, then ATM it's well known that AMD has had to drop their pants on pricing vs Intel, or go out of business. "Price vs performance", catch phrase of the day.

Who would by an E5300 anyhow? It's just a junk chip that most likely was aimed at OEM applications anyway.

I question the timing aspect of this comparison anyway. You could go back and say that most of AMD's line would outperform any of the Pentium 4 chips, you'd be totally correct, but that would hardly be front page news.

If you were going to build an Intel machine today, the Core i-3 530 would, (or should) be the entry point, since socket 775 is obsolete. (Yes, I know that back stock on 775 boards and chips abounds).

Meet the Emachines ET1831-03; http://www.amazon.com/eMachines-ET1831-03-Pentium-Dual-Core-Windows/dp/B003MYHSUG The specs are pretty good, I think it's an Acer, but nobody's got one. (It's probably been and gone, but it comes with Win 7 64 bit, so who knows).

I went by price. And that was last year, when LGA775 was mostly still widely popular over here. I live in a Third World Country, if that helps. Those were, and actually still are, the entry level chips. Had to keep costs down, since i intended to keep the "better" one for "personal use"- and as all i do are websurfing, office apps, and poker it made more sense to go for these two.

I agree with you, of course, since perhaps what are you getting at is that this is totally inconclusive. Nevertheless, over here it is a toe-to-toe thingy for it's time for availablity- where Internet Cafes just use similar machines and all our local online games (which are widely popular here) can be played by both machines.

Thanks Very Much, though- as your inputs have been very helpful. Am a totally new member, and the above post is one of my first few posts- so i now do pick up that i should keep it more relevant for the greater majority of members.

Hmmm, over here i3 530 is head to head in price with X4 640- perhaps if i get money windfall this next month, will do some quiet testing of my own all over agian... It's worthwhile since i can easily resell either, anyhow.

Thanks Very Much, though- as your inputs have been very helpful. Am a totally new member, and the above post is one of my first few posts- so i now do pick up that i should keep it more relevant for the greater majority of members.

Hmmm, over here i3 530 is head to head in price with X4 640- perhaps if i get money windfall this next month, will do some quiet testing of my own all over agian... It's worthwhile since i can easily resell either, anyhow.
Well, with this thread in particular, you actually don't need to be all that relevant,since all it was about in the first place, was Ryan wanting us to know that his computer beats his friend's computer.

"Mine is better than yours" is fairly primal, topically speaking, so you could jump in at any point.

"The Tech Report" did some comparing with i3 and AMD chips, ;http://techreport.com/articles.x/18448 and a fine job it is. As of this moment, even this test is a bit dated, with several new offerings being made by Intel and AMD alike. Point being, you can save your money and just buy the CPU you decide on. Unless of course, you insist on the DIY approach. We're not here to stifle, mind you.

If you take the time to check out the posted link, you'll see that the only Pentium Dual Core that was even entered into the fray, was the E6500.

Being from the "land of milk and honey", at least with respect to computer parts, I do appreciate that other locales have other problems, and other realities to contend with.

Thanks for the link- being comprehensive, it does render any personal testing on my part redundant. It was a very eye-opening review for me, as i never bothered to check the review prices over there as i considered them irrelevant considering we have differing pricing schemes here. For one, i realize that you guys really do consider price heavily as well- which i thought was not since you guys over there prefer Intel more (generally speaking). Intel is more expensive here; it turns out that AMD is actually more expensive there!

For comparison:
Processor Prices US* Prices Manila** (converted to USD)

Intel Core i3 530 USD113.00 USD113.00
Intel Core i5 650 USD176.00 USD186.00
Intel Core i5 661 USD196.00 USD215.00
Intel Core i5 750 USD196.00 USD222.00
Intel Core i7 960 USD562.00 USD641.00

AMD Athlon II X2 255 USD74.00 USD69.00
AMD Athlon II X3 440 USD84.00 USD80.00
AMD Athlon II X4 635 USD119.00 USD107.00
AMD Phenom II X4 965 USD195.00 USD194.00

*at time of review
**current prices prevalent in Metro Manila

So if you view our pricing skema above compared to yours in the US, it does appear that AMD already content with its Market Share in the US- meanwhile it also appears that they're really making a dedicated attempt to expand market share in Third World Countries. Well, at least in my country.

Back