Analog 1680-1050 Resolution. What cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffkrol

Ok some specifics:
ACER AL2016W. NO DVI, Just VGA
Aopen AK77 MB
AMD 2000+ Thoroughbred
767 effective RAM
nVidia G force 440 on AGP1
Board is 4x-8x AGP capable
Power supply 350Watt (guesstimate) Got a larger one in the wings if necessary.
Now what I need:
Just to be able to run this thing at "native" resolution in VGA mode.
Currently running 1600x900......No real gaming intended so cheap,old whatever card will do but I'm having a real hard time finding a card that lists this resolution in ANALOG (VGA) mode........ Acer and Samsung must have sold thousands of these monitors, yet the video support isn't there apparently....
Seems some just say that in analog they just won't look good but I have to see this for myself.
This has probably been asked a millon times so apologies ahead of time...

Check out the cards at Newegg, Zipzoomfly, Outpost, and Directron. They will be AGP 8X cards, and you will find maximum resolution output in the specifications. When they don't list it, it is not there.

Hmmm..

raybay said:
Check out the cards at Newegg, Zipzoomfly, Outpost, and Directron. They will be AGP 8X cards, and you will find maximum resolution output in the specifications. When they don't list it, it is not there.
My current card goes beyond this 1600X1200 @32bit color so in theory it should do 1680x 1050, but it doesn't. Other cards that I found that list specs much higher than this still don't, when you can find exact specs, list this mode... Max mode is no indication of suitability. The gForce 6800 (I believe) spec only lists this mode in DVI ,which this monitor doesn't have. A quick search at Tom's Hardware show this is not an uncommon question and many of the answers only apply to DVI output.
Thanks for trying though.........

nickc said:
so get a new monitor.
Radeon 6550 that I installed has the needed resolution on the VGA line.
Cheaper than a new monitor but thanks for your wonderful help anyways :p

Are you sure this is an analog limitation? I would have guessed that if the card supports it it will do it over DVI or VGA. I would also think that any card made in the last 4 years would do that resolution. So you could buy a card with DVI out, and they all come with a DVI to VGA adapter.

One other possibility is a driver issue. Nvidia's drivers should have an option to create custom resolution modes, have you tried those?

SNGX1275 said:
Are you sure this is an analog limitation? I would have guessed that if the card supports it it will do it over DVI or VGA. I would also think that any card made in the last 4 years would do that resolution. So you could buy a card with DVI out, and they all come with a DVI to VGA adapter.
No I'm not sure and was surprised that nobody told me I was nuts to think that
but that was based on a few hours of trying to find confirmation/specs on line.
Only saw one nVidia tech sheet that showed this resolution under DVI not analog.
Unfortunately I lost the link so can't verify age. May have been w/ older drivers but pretty sure it's for the 6600 (?, close at least) chipset so that will date it a bit.
Anyways as stated the 9550 worked "right out of the box" w/ this monitors "analog only" port and the shipping drivers (which as we know are probably obsolete already).
2 notes: As I stare at the box it came in:
That resolution is not listed in the table on the side flap....
1600x1200 then goes to 1920x1080. For whatever thats worth.
Also apparently the monitor inf file was not installed originally (not even sure it came w/ a disk to tell you the truth).. so really there are a few questions here.
Bottom line: Between here and anandtech nobody told me a card that was known to work w/ my parameters..

Mictlantecuhtli said:
One other possibility is a driver issue. Nvidia's drivers should have an option to create custom resolution modes, have you tried those?
first place I looked, but remember I have 2 monitors and 2 cards (440 based and 5200 (I believe), I remember neither offering this option and I did download (for the 5200 box) that software for graphics card tweaking (can't remember the name off hand) but that also didn't offer this resolution, nor could I force it. Now that was a few years ago and I could be forgetting some specifics.
anyway, problem solved w/ the 9550......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back