Analyse my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby123

Any views on this laptop would be welcome. I am taking it to uni for work and obviously internet purposes.

Windows XP Professional SP2 is a definite positive, particularly if it is the full version rather than the OEM or REcovery version.
Pentium M 725 is very good.
Intel Chipset is rugged and reliable.
Intel Extreme Graphics 2 with 64 mb is good without producting too much heat.
Flat Panel with 1024 x 768
AC'97 sound is fine.
Ultra ATA 4200 rpm is very reliable, but not very fast, as 5400 rpm and 7200 rpm are available. But it will last longer.
SCSI CD-ROM/ DVD is more reliable version than most.
4 gb memory as good as it gets, but I don't see what type, brand or speed.
USB2, but how many ports
Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG will make you happy.
Battery cells not defined.
Warranty not defined.

Hard to complain about what I see, but the more important features I look for are cooling ports, cooling fans, length of warranty that may be possible,
and qualtity of screen and inverter.

Depending on price, other software installed, warranty length - or ability to extend warranty, it looks very good. The screen is usually the weak link where the manufacturers make compromises that don't show up as problems for a couple of years, then they are very expensive to repair unless you have skills with tools and soldering irons.
We recommend you buy one you have personally examined, so you have a good impression of cooling fans and the ability to move air. Other areas that deserves a close look are the thickness of the plastic for the bezel (thin ones crack after a couple of years), the hinges, (Some hinges break. Others result in a very floppy screen), and little plastic doors and ports. (Plastic gets brittle as it ages)
Good luck to you. Let us know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back