Analysts say all games will be digital by 2022

midian182

Staff member
Through the looking glass: For the vast majority of PC owners, discs have become an archaic way of storing games. Thanks to the advent of Steam and high-speed internet connections, many computers don’t even come with optical drives anymore. It’s a different story for console gamers, of course, but could a day come when all platforms are digital-download only? Some analysts believe so, and claim it may arrive early as 2022.

Michael J. Olson and Yung Kim, analysts from US-based investment bank and asset management firm Piper Jaffray, made the prediction. “We believe it is a certainty that video games will be ~100% digital in the coming years, and while exact timing is hard to pinpoint, we think 2022 is a realistic expectation,” they wrote.

They note that virtually eliminating a title’s distribution costs would be great news for game publishers' bottom line, increasing gross and operating margins by more than 10 percent.

A 100 percent transition to digital doesn’t mean every game will be downloaded; it also covers those titles that are streamed, something the report says “could be a commercial reality within 2-3 years.”

While the report is based on current trends, it’s very hard to imagine the complete elimination of all physical games within the next four years. The recent US Games 360 Report showed that 66 percent of console gamers still prefer to purchase the physical version of a game, often due to the slower internet speeds in many areas of the country—whether that improves substantially by 2022 remains to be seen. There’s also the popular second-hand games market to consider.

There will come a time when games across all platforms become 100 percent digital, but with the next generation of consoles almost certain to feature disc drives, we’ve still got a while to wait.

Permalink to story.

Streamed games won't be a reality until isp groups stop gouging the market and also concentrate on latency times rather than overall bandwidth as a marketing tool.

The major issue with digital content is games are only getting larger in size, bandwidth caps, slow internet if any land line availability, cellular data caps, and a host of other issues are a sort of problem in the greater wheel of moving parts.

Take for instance net neutrality fast lanes, what is to stop a giant like Blizzard paying Comcast for fast lanes versus smaller indie studios suffering due to bad latency issues. It will be a terrible market landscape to compete when Giants in the industry become entrenched allowing no real competitors.

From some one who's stuck on expensive wireless internet, what's the typical initial download size of one of these big AAA games?

From some one who's stuck on expensive wireless internet, what's the typical initial download size of one of these big AAA games?

Depends on the title. Can vary between as low as 10-15GB or as high as 70-100GB.

Certainly not something many people would be willing or able to cope with. Unless you have unlimited Fibre then it's not realistic; especially as newer consoles and high res games come out - that simply makes the size of the game larger as they try to squish in all those nice new shiny textures..

I don't see myself offering to my little son a downloading code for his birthday or as a gift for Christmas for his console.
Video games will just become off my gifts list if it is turning like this, simple as that.

I don't see myself offering to my little son a downloading code for his birthday or as a gift for Christmas for his console.
Video games will just become off my gifts list if it is turning like this, simple as that.
Is that a joke, that's alrdy being done by millions of kids. Ever heard of Steam cards? Xbox and Sony have cards too. You and your kid are simply behind the times.

The world is changing, you can change with it or get left behind.

Is that a joke, that's alrdy being done by millions of kids. Ever heard of Steam cards? Xbox and Sony have cards too. You and your kid are simply behind the times.

The world is changing, you can change with it or get left behind.
Steam card doesn't look as nice as limited edition box set at a Christmas Tree.
My son still like to have his games shown on a shelves, same as his Blu-ray/DVD collection.
We will see how it turns but in 2020 I believe the size of games will be much bigger to download, so annoying especially when you just got your gift but you must download again tons of gigabyte before being able you play it. As long as consoles keep their Game Disc or SDCARD or Cartridges, no problem, the customer should always have choice.
The all digital is just set to get rid of secondhand market too, what a shame.

Gaming analysts, I don't know where they get such stupidity... I'm so tired of their opinions that never turn out to be truth... gaming will not go full digital without the infrastructure to feed us all... don't look only to developed countries because money comes from everywhere...

I can see it getting as high as 90%, but it will not become 100% (although on PC it might actually happen, it's not that far away).

Always take the predictions of analysts with a grain of salt. Most know nothing of what they speak on and they are usually paid to tell people what they want to hear.

When I saw the "100%" prediction I lost interest in the article. All (100%, lol) further predictions from that guy should be ignored.

I also see games as child presents diminishing. Gift cards don't have the same wow factor as physical presents. How would you like to be a kid and the only thing under the tree was a bunch of pictures of your presents?

We won't go 100% digital unless the gaming industry is willing to lose an entire segment of customers (those with no or poor internet connection, low speeds or small monthly caps) for the cost saving of removing the physical distribution channels. Considering that may remove the equivalent of entire countries of customers, open the door to their competitors and dramatically increase pirating, I don't see this decision being made any time in the next 10 years.

Always take the predictions of analysts with a grain of salt. Most know nothing of what they speak on and they are usually paid to tell people what they want to hear.
Plus these "analysts" work in an investment bank. What do they know?

Depends on the title. Can vary between as low as 10-15GB or as high as 70-100GB.
Certainly not something many people would be willing or able to cope with. Unless you have unlimited Fibre then it's not realistic; especially as newer consoles and high res games come out - that simply makes the size of the game larger as they try to squish in all those nice new shiny textures..
Oh, it's even worse than that. Consider patches. Sometimes those patches are just a few GBs but sometimes they replace the entire game and you have to download the full 70 GBs again. And we all know how buggy games are getting these days.

Will not happen, because not all optimal media used with consoles are video games. Consoles double as home entertainment, so blu-ray and such, if you keep player for that, you might as well collect physical games revenues.

Not to mention games would go to SD-like-card format, like for example Switch, before going all digital.

That analyst doesn't know what he's talking about.

Back