Android overtakes Windows as most used operating system

Jos

Staff

Google’s Android has overtaken Microsoft Windows for the first time as the world’s most popular operating system in terms of total internet usage across desktop, laptop, tablet and mobile combined. This according to web analytics company StatCounter, which recorded Android’s market share at 37.93% for March, marginally ahead of Windows’ 37.91%. It’s a small gap and only refers to Internet usage, but it’s a noteworthy achievement considering Windows has held the top spot since the 1980s.

Apple’s iOS came in third with 13.09%, followed by OS X with 5.17% and Linux with a measly 0.75%.

The bulk of Android's users came from Asia, where more than half of all Internet users used an Android device last month to connect to the Internet. Windows maintained its lead in the U.S. and Europe where it held 39.5% and 51.7% of the market, respectively. It’s also the clear leader for desktop operating systems with a 84% internet usage share in March, but as StatCounter says, “the battlefield has moved on.”

“It will be difficult for Microsoft to make inroads in mobile but the next paradigm shift might give it the opportunity to regain dominance. That could be in Augmented Reality, AI, Voice or Continuum (a product that aims to replace a desktop and smartphone with a single Microsoft powered phone).”

StatCounter aggregated data collected from a sample exceeding 15 billion page views per month and more than three million websites. For some added context, StatCounter shared the chart above, highlighting the fact that Android held 2.4% of global internet usage share only five years ago.

Permalink to story.

Android, is, without a doubt, the sh!t.

There is just a freedom with Android Operating Systems that goes un-challenged. And with Microsoft you would think they would be able to create a good mobile OS but they force people into a Microsoft ecosystem [like their desktops] that is continually waning in user flexibility. Apple gets away with this approach because of popularity.
If Android came out and made a solid, supported desktop OS that a regular consumer liked/could use and also made a enterprise version that works well with Linux, Microsoft could be looking at a very serious contender to their architectural hold on business related IT backbones and infrastructure.

If Android came out and made a solid, supported desktop OS that a regular consumer liked/could use and also made a enterprise version that works well with Linux, Microsoft could be looking at a very serious contender to their architectural hold on business related IT backbones and infrastructure.

You mean like ChromeOS?

The only reason Android is passing Windows is because mobile devices are becoming more popular than PCs... Windows still has a virtual monopoly on the PC market, where Android rules the mobile market (with iOS obviously holding a niche with all Apple devices).

With Microsoft's latest deal with Samsung, however, it will be interesting to see if that changes anything on the mobile front in the years to come... While it's obviously WAY too soon to make any assumptions, let alone draw any conclusions, if Samsung were to leave Android for MS, that would make a serious dent...

You mean like ChromeOS?..
The only experience I have with ChromeOS is with repairing a few Chromebooks and you can't do sh!t with those things, its really just a browser with a few features/abilities.
However maybe it has improved since?

The only reason Android is passing Windows is because mobile devices are becoming more popular than PCs... Windows still has a virtual monopoly on the PC market, where Android rules the mobile market (with iOS obviously holding a niche with all Apple devices)..
In the workplace tablets and smart devices have proven to be terrible, many places have tried them and went back. I wouldn't say PC's/Windows based devices have become less popular in the workplace, but for recreational users a $600 PC isn't required anymore when you can do all that on a $150 tablet...or should I say Phablet? Mua haha.

With Microsoft's latest deal with Samsung, however, it will be interesting to see if that changes anything on the mobile front in the years to come... While it's obviously WAY too soon to make any assumptions, let alone draw any conclusions, if Samsung were to leave Android for MS, that would make a serious dent...
Samsung is the power player for Android OS but other players like LG and HTC have some nice phones, Scorpus has reviewed some brands I've never heard of and he had nice things to say about many of them...some of them are pretty jacked with specs too.

The only experience I have with ChromeOS is with repairing a few Chromebooks and you can't do sh!t with those things, its really just a browser with a few features/abilities.
However maybe it has improved since?
Yes, it has improved... by a hell of a lot. You can run Android apps in a window on Chrome OS. That alone is what should be scaring the hell out of Microsoft. Once some serious developers get on-board and start making not just apps but full desktop programs and games it's game over for Microsoft.

When that day comes I will be screaming hallelujah from the rooftops!

I love Android and dislike Windows. Why?

Android does not get in my way and lets me do what I want with out being noticed.

I had Win8 on a new laptop and it caused me so many problems that I had to install Win7 which is much better. Win8 did not let me use older paid for programs that were essential to my livelihood. Win10 is even worse; who need problems and adverts plus stealing personal data.

Google is innovative; Micro$lop is a sales company that has a product.

I agree , Windows ten is God awful but thats to be expected when you refuse to listen to what the majority of computer users want .

A bare bones stripped down version is the only way they can possibly get people to think otherwise , it's so ridiculously bloated and constantly changing .

Funniest part is that the longer people use it the more they end up hating it , I have seen a mass exodus just in the last 6 weeks lol.

Funniest part is that the longer people use it the more they end up hating it , I have seen a mass exodus just in the last 6 weeks lol.

Exactly, by latest statistics Win7 actually GAINED share in the last 6 months and keeps growing. Personally, I would gladly switch to newest Windows, just like I always did (Vista being exception of course) but W10 is simply unacceptable in current state.

I wouldn't say that Windows 10 is a complete failure, it does definitely have a lot of issues. There's some things that Windows 10 does better than Windows 7. Case in point, scaling of windows and text elements on the screen when dealing with people that have poor eyesight. Windows 7 did this part horribly whereas Windows 10 handles this with ease, I figure it stems from the fact that Windows 10 handles higher DPI screens better than Windows 7.

I use Windows 10 as my full time OS. Do I like it? No. Do I hate it? No. I sit in the middle. Some days I want to curse Windows 10 to the seventh level of hell, others... not so much.

I love Android and dislike Windows. Why?

Android does not get in my way and lets me do what I want with out being noticed.

I had Win8 on a new laptop and it caused me so many problems that I had to install Win7 which is much better. Win8 did not let me use older paid for programs that were essential to my livelihood. Win10 is even worse; who need problems and adverts plus stealing personal data.

Google is innovative; Micro$lop is a sales company that has a product.

Double that man! You nailed it.

[QUOTE="Exactly, by latest statistics Win7 actually GAINED share in the last 6 months and keeps growing.[/QUOTE]

7 is the new XP.

Back