Annoying crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamaphoenix

ok so long story short, the three kids in the family (me included) came back from college for the holidays. my parents computer, a gateway (5 years old, runs xp) was only used for email and occasional surfing. when we came back, my brother torrented a few things, like games and tv shows. and all the sudden the computer randomly crashes now. whenever i tell it to do a disc cleanup or defrag, or mcafee scan it randomly crashes. so my initial thoughts were

- ram being bombarded, so it crashes
- heat from not being cleaned
- no space left on hard drive

so i got rid of like 60 gigs worth of old stuff on a 200 gig harddrive, dusted the mb and other hardware, and used msconfig to stop many programs from starting on boot up. but it still randomly crashes almost consistently when its turned on.

it has
2 gigs of kingston ram
200 GB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive with 8 MB cache
965 express chipset from a dg965ot intel mb - old mb had a bad capacitor and the whole thing had to go.

the only thing i havent done is cleaned the registry, hell i dunno if it could do it without crashing. any ideas?

torrents are conduits for viri. Don't be surprised if you have a flood of malware on your system.

every time i try to run a virus scan, the computer just freezes up midway through, is there some ram friendly way to manually check or delete viruses? btw, i have a corrupted version of windows that will not allow me to restore the computer or install a newer version of windows, so i basically cant fix that. i wanted to do a restore, but the cd gave me the corrupted windows thing. any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back