Another classic Minecraft server connection issue

So my girlfriend and I have been playing MC for a while now on my server (separate households) and no problems have occurred until now. I have not changed any settings of the server or my router settings, but now all of a sudden she gets a "connecting......." message with a follow up "failed to connect" error. My port forwarding is fine, and so is the ip address I am giving her to connect.
And ideas to what may be wrong here?

Ok, this one has been blank for a few days so I'll take a stab at it!

So you are hosting a game on your pc that your gal connects to. You have port 25565 forwarded to your pc running the MC server. You have given your gal your real world ip address so she can connect to your server. When she connects she gets a "connecting..." error. Have I got all of this correct?!?

Assuming all the above is correct, here's what I think... More than likely your ISP gives you a dynamic IP address, meaning it can change from time to time. To make sure you know what your "real world" outside IP address is, go to: http://canyouseeme.org/ this will give you the correct "real world" ip address. While you are there, check to see if the port is open for MC. Have the MC server running before hand, go to http://canyouseeme.org/ and type in port 25565, the website will tell you either "success" they were able to connect, or "fail" they were not able to connect. IF you get success then you have everything configured correctly on your end it may be something on her end - if not, then it's something on your end. Make sure your gal is connecting to that IP, on port: 25565 inside of MC. MC may or may not ask for a port number, I'm not 100% sure on that one because I do not play MC. IF she is still getting the errors, she needs to check her software firewall settings (built into win xp, vista, 7) or 3rd party "internet security" software often has a software firewall as well. In the firewall settings, TCP port 25565 outbound needs to be permitted. If that is already in place or NOT an issue to start with, make her power cycle her internet connection (cable, dsl, t1, etc.) and her router. (the devices may be one in the same) Have her try again, if still no dice... Post back & I'll think of something else for you to try.

Hope this helps, take care!

Wow... That was the most detailed message responding to my pleads of help on any forum I have ever visited, over any issue.. Ever aha. Only if their were one of you for every forum on the internet aha. Yes, like you said, my IP did in fact change. I just simply changed it in my port forwarding and it fixed everything.
Now, Im not exactly a go to guy in terms of internet services, information etc, (if you catch my drift).
Its called dynamic because it changes, that much I can figure, but in what instances will it change like that? When I restart my PC? Reset my router? Simply unplug my Ethernet cable and plug in my wireless adapter? I would love to know more aha :p .

Thank you for the complement, I really appreciate it!

Wikipedia explains it better than I would, so I'm posting info directly from their article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address

Uses of dynamic addressing
Dynamic IP addresses are most frequently assigned on LANs and broadband networks by Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) servers. They are used because it avoids the administrative burden of assigning specific static addresses to each device on a network. It also allows many devices to share limited address space on a network if only some of them will be online at a particular time. In most current desktop operating systems, dynamic IP configuration is enabled by default so that a user does not need to manually enter any settings to connect to a network with a DHCP server. DHCP is not the only technology used to assign dynamic IP addresses. Dialup and some broadband networks use dynamic address features of the Point-to-Point Protocol.
Sticky dynamic IP address
A sticky dynamic IP address is an informal term used by cable and DSL Internet access subscribers to describe a dynamically assigned IP address which seldom changes. The addresses are usually assigned with DHCP. Since the modems are usually powered on for extended periods of time, the address leases are usually set to long periods and simply renewed. If a modem is turned off and powered up again before the next expiration of the address lease, it will most likely receive the same IP address.

So reading the above, your ISP most likely uses a "sticky dynamic ip address" meaning it will keep the same ip address for weeks or even months without changing. Power cycling the cable or dsl modem may or may not reset the ip address, it simply depends on how your ISP has the ip addresses allocated and the lease time with each. Rebooting your computer, unplugging an ethernet cable is going to have no bearing on when your ISP changes your ip address. It's completely out of your hands.

Now lets learn about Static IP addresses...

Static ip addresses DO NOT change. For example, I have purchased a static ip address from my ISP, comcast, as part of my small business internet package. Since I have a static ip it does not change, I always know what my real world ip address is. Which makes it great for remote access, hosting a webserver, a gaming server, or any number of services myself or another person may provide to other users or themselves. Another example is, when my friends and I are playing StarCraft, I host the tcp/ip game & everyone connects to my static ip address - it makes life a little easier in the world of game hosting. I also host a killing floor server, terraria server, and multiple hosted desktops all gaining access via my static ip. Now there's a lot to getting the network stuff configured on my end, but none would be possible as easily if I did not have a static ip.

What to do if you have a dynamic ip address & want to host games...

Well... there are solutions out there for those users who a static ip isn't an option because of cost or availability. The service I used before my static ip was: http://www.no-ip.com/ This company gives you a hostname to point to your dynamic ip. You run a small piece of software on your computer that updates & checks to make sure your dynamic ip has not changed, usually once an hour - which is more than sufficient. So lets say you sign up for no-ip's services, you will then choose a hostname, example: dylanlandry.no-ip.biz. great! now instead of having your gal connect via an ip, that may or may not have changed since last you played together, she can easily remember dyanlandry.no-ip.biz much easier than 32.156.89.247, right?? I think you are seeing my 13 years of experience... ha ha!

So, we have covered dynamic ip address, static ip addresses and dynamic DNS service such as no-ip.com. I hope that this helps you out, good luck and have fun! Post back if you have other questions, take care!

further reading on no-ip.com's services: http://www.no-ip.com/services/managed_dns/free_dynamic_dns.html

Back